Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Large Rat

Default Wanting to start a Tank just don't know which

I have just started on P99 about a week ago. I am wanting to play a tank but just don't know where to start. I don't have the plat to twink so which one is best non twinked? Also which races should I consider for tanking? Thanks in advance for any and all info.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Planar Protector

SK is the easiest to make effective untwinked.

Warrior is the most difficult, it's a bear to hold agro against all the twinked melees when all you've got is that shitty Taunt hotkey.

Paladin is the most frustrating (this server is chock full of players who have not seen a classic era Paladin played well and not only assume it's a weak class but also give bad advice as to how you should play, thus helping to sustain their ignorance and ensure that their poor opinion of the class remains unchallenged.)

1. The most important thing is how well you make friends. Seriously. Tanks need groups the way green plants need sunlight. You don't have to be everybody's best pal, but you do need to develop a healthy supply of people who have grouped with you successfully and want to do so again.

2. Next most important is how well you play your character. But, this is learnable as you play, and if people like having you around (see #1) you'll have plenty of opportunity to learn.

3. Finally, tanks are more gear-dependent than all of the other classes. So as you level up you need to learn what gear is effective and affordable (a decent weapon, good armor, useful jewelry, eventually a haste item) and obtain it. Especially as an untwinked tank this will be a continual process across the life of your character. Without a Sugar Daddy to set you up you're going to have to pay attention to prices and availability of tradeable gear, so that you know what will help you and you know a good deal when you see one. An untwinked tank that "hates" EC (the popular trade zone) is a reroll waiting to happen.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Large Rat

Thanks Kaev! Which of the 3 tanks are the most sought after on this server?
Old 12-11-2012, 06:18 AM
Kobold

End game I suppose Warriors are more sought after. Honestly if I were you I'd just think of what sounds cooler race/class wise and you'll make it work if you like it. If you pick a race & class you don't like so much but you chose because it was more "in demand" or because X or Y told you it's better but you don't like it all that much; you'll reroll eventually, bored by your character.

Think of it that way : Do you want to be the good guy, the bad guy, or the dumb guy. Respectively Pal / SK / War. Race wise, it's wise to pick a strong race (ogres, trolls, dwarves, barbarians) but anything will work, it'll just be harder without gear if you're a gnome. Consider having regeneration (troll/iksar) for a tank, can make a big difference when it comes to downtime - although I personally cannot live tanking without stun immunity (Ogres).

Your call!

Have fun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-11-2012, 06:10 PM
Planar Protector

Nogdar's advice is good, never forget to have fun!

Paladins are generally not sought after. The gear/group dependency (and xp penalty in the case of Paladin & SK) of the tank classes has surely contributed to the oversupply of casters and Monks, there is definitely room on the server for more tanks.

If being immune to frontal stun (but not interrupts, important distinction if you're playing a casting tank) makes you feel good, play an Ogre. If being magnificently ugly does it for you, play a Troll. If looking like an oversized cross between ancient Viking & Celt warriors feels good, go Barbarian. If you don't mind dealing with relative isolation at low level and you'd like a cheesy fantasy-alien vibe, play an Iksar. Want to stand out slightly from the crowd? avoid playing a large race (various advantages), a Dwarf (better stats), or a Halfling (xp bonus).

Remember, if you play the char a bit and don't like him, it takes only seconds to make a new one.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Large Rat

Thanks Nogdar and Kaev for your replies. I do want to play a class for grouping mostly. I played a Bard on Live and just ended up PvPing and soloing more than anything. Just want to find a melee that is fun and needed for grouping. I am not really into the dark races so I think I will go with either a Barb or Dwarf Warrior.
Closed Thread