Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 04-18-2020, 08:10 PM
sydbarrett25 sydbarrett25 is offline
Sarnak


Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 374
Default

This is not RMT, I was a happy recipient of one of his endeavors and I have never met the guy nor have any associations IRL with him. Dude is real. What was sad was how he was trying to give away stuff in the tunnel and no one payed attention. Everyone just clicked their little macros or shift+up and went on with their norratian life.
  #62  
Old 04-20-2020, 06:07 AM
paronga paronga is offline
Aviak


Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydbarrett25 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is not RMT, I was a happy recipient of one of his endeavors and I have never met the guy nor have any associations IRL with him. Dude is real. What was sad was how he was trying to give away stuff in the tunnel and no one payed attention. Everyone just clicked their little macros or shift+up and went on with their norratian life.
I was there. it was weird. I got some money, thanks a lot. No relation with them IRL. Hell, I barely play, just right place right time. Will make all the difference to my 19 shaman [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
  #63  
Old 04-21-2020, 12:44 PM
strongNpretty strongNpretty is offline
Fire Giant

strongNpretty's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Skatepark, WA
Posts: 848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydbarrett25 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is not RMT, I was a happy recipient of one of his endeavors and I have never met the guy nor have any associations IRL with him. Dude is real. What was sad was how he was trying to give away stuff in the tunnel and no one payed attention. Everyone just clicked their little macros or shift+up and went on with their norratian life.
Mmm.. You'd be surprised at the amount of folks who have had one heck of a headache getting accounts unbanned thinkin the same thing.. Just saying- There is a reason people are skeptical about these give aways!
  #64  
Old 04-21-2020, 01:22 PM
loramin loramin is offline
Planar Protector

loramin's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 9,366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongNpretty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Mmm.. You'd be surprised at the amount of folks who have had one heck of a headache getting accounts unbanned thinkin the same thing.. Just saying- There is a reason people are skeptical about these give aways!
Just to clarify this to new people, here's the scenario:
  1. Bob decides he's played on P99 long enough, and wants to "cash out"
  2. Bob uses the Internet to find someone willing to pay him $$$ for plat
  3. Bob conducts a "give-away" where he gives the buyer their plat
  4. Bob also gives other legitimate gifts to strangers to make it look like one big harmless giveaway
  5. GMs realize Bob is RMTing ... so they block all accounts that received gifts from Bob, until they can establish who paid for their gifts and who didn't

Now look, the staff aren't dicks, and they don't want to ban someone for getting a gift ... but they're also human and they have to separate the cheaters from the non-cheaters. As strongNpretty suggested, this can be tricky for them, and so it's a good idea to not accept large gifts (if someone gives you, say, 3k plat, the staff can easily figure out you didn't RMT for that plat ... but if you get something bigger that might be more challenging) ...

... unless you're willing to risk the (relatively small, in the grand scheme of things) chance that you might temporarily lose your account while things get sorted out.
__________________

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 04-21-2020 at 01:26 PM..
  #65  
Old 04-21-2020, 01:39 PM
strongNpretty strongNpretty is offline
Fire Giant

strongNpretty's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Skatepark, WA
Posts: 848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just to clarify this to new people, here's the scenario:
  1. Bob decides he's played on P99 long enough, and wants to "cash out"
  2. Bob uses the Internet to find someone willing to pay him $$$ for plat
  3. Bob conducts a "give-away" where he gives the buyer their plat
  4. Bob also gives other legitimate gifts to strangers to make it look like one big harmless giveaway
  5. GMs realize Bob is RMTing ... so they block all accounts that received gifts from Bob, until they can establish who paid for their gifts and who didn't

Now look, the staff aren't dicks, and they don't want to ban someone for getting a gift ... but they're also human and they have to separate the cheaters from the non-cheaters. As strongNpretty suggested, this can be tricky for them, and so it's a good idea to not accept large gifts (if someone gives you, say, 3k plat, the staff can easily figure out you didn't RMT for that plat ... but if you get something bigger that might be more challenging) ...

... unless you're willing to risk the (relatively small, in the grand scheme of things) chance that you might temporarily lose your account while things get sorted out.
Nicely said Lor.. Anybody who falls under that umbrella of RMT will be treated as guilty before innocent.. And with such little staff, you can't blame them, it's the easiest way to deal with it.. Remove anybody involved, and then figure out the details.. Which can take a loooong time.. We as a community did this to ourselves. Don't blame them [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Accept big money, accept the risk involved..
  #66  
Old 04-21-2020, 01:52 PM
sunbask sunbask is offline
Orc


Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 46
Default

What makes this suspicious is the method and timeline.

From post history, OP potentially sold a helmet of rallos zek days before posting this giveaway.

Why go through the effort of selling helmet and then almost immediately turn around and give the money away? Why not just give the helmet away?

The method in which the giveaway happened is also suspicious. Intended to give a large lump sum to an individual as quickly as possible.

What's the motive? RMT makes the most sense.

It just doesn't add up... if something sounds too good to be true it is.
  #67  
Old 04-21-2020, 02:15 PM
madgarin madgarin is offline
Kobold


Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 159
Default

Now accepting donations 3k at a time [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]




(I hope we someday learn the results of any investigation. I'm just too damn nosy. Social distancing becoming too much for even an antisocial person)
  #68  
Old 04-21-2020, 02:42 PM
Jimjam Jimjam is offline
Planar Protector


Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgarin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Now accepting donations 3k at a time [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]




(I hope we someday learn the results of any investigation. I'm just too damn nosy. Social distancing becoming too much for even an antisocial person)
What would you want 3 k for?
  #69  
Old 04-21-2020, 02:55 PM
loramin loramin is offline
Planar Protector

loramin's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 9,366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgarin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Now accepting donations 3k at a time [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Heh, I actually picked the 3k number because I knew it was "safe", having done many "3k giveaways" to new players over the years (in exchange for wiki work: no free handouts from this Barbarian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]).

I've actually been meaning to do a new one soon, but in the past I used to have more stringent rules (like "add 3 per-level hunting guide spots to earn the plat"). This time I want to make it more generic, so that it wouldn't just be about working on my "pet projects" in the wiki. Something to the effect of "come up with a plan for making some cool improvement to the wiki, then I'll tell you if it's enough to earn 3k, then you go do it and earn the 3k" ... I just need to work out the exact details first.

Coming soon to the Starting Zone forum ... hopefully.
__________________

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
  #70  
Old 04-21-2020, 03:01 PM
madgarin madgarin is offline
Kobold


Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 159
Default

nothing at all, was a poor attempt at a joke based on Loramin's statement that 3k plat transfer would be less likely to be looked into. So transfer plat 3k at a time was the joke. Or sad attempt on my part.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:55 AM.


Everquest is a registered trademark of Daybreak Game Company LLC.
Project 1999 is not associated or affiliated in any way with Daybreak Game Company LLC.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.