Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 01:38 PM
Sarnak

Classic EQ is about some kids having toys to show off in EC and others not. That's why we see so many power-gamers and heavy competition at end-game in P1999. God knows why they care so much. God only knows.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I didn't say anything to defend the variance. I'm a simulate patch day guy myself [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
simulated patch day has nothing to do with it and is a separate issue altogether. But, yes, I'm glad they actually started repopping on patch days too.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:45 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcbard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This sounds like a terrible idea imo. When it comes to playing and raiding at a high level in classic EQ (read: competing) I don't think any guild or group of players should have to be forced into giving something up so that the others, who are not as good as them, have a shot at the same mobs/loot. If they want to kill certain mobs/loot they should be given every opportunity to compete with the dominating guild(s) but there should not be an established rotation that hinders the dominant group of players from getting what they have worked for. If they wanted to make a rotation because they no longer wanted those mobs, or maybe another guild had locked down something that they now wanted access to and so a bi-spawn rotation or something was worked out between those guilds, then I would be all for it, but a forces rotation isn't really classic, and doesn't really reward the competitive atmosphere that so many know and love about EQ.
Yes but some players don t like competition and aren't hardcore. Maybe we can play together : Hardcore and casual player.

And rotation existed on karana while Kurnak. So its "classic"
Old 05-31-2011, 01:48 PM
Planar Protector

Rotation didn't exist on other servers, so it is my opinion that it also "classic."
Old 05-31-2011, 01:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aadill [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rotation didn't exist on other servers, so it is my opinion that it also "classic."
it existed on servers, as did FTE and as did FFA. There were timers (30mins to get it or it's fair game) or even KSing. There were servers where monks wouldn't attack a target because they were busy training other guilds. Hearing about wizard-only groups wasn't uncommon either. These were all player and/or GM decided. The stupid variance server-side mechanic, though, was never on any EQ live server for any period of time. That's strictly a retarded p99 thing.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:53 PM
Planar Protector

Just playing devil's advocate~
Old 05-31-2011, 01:56 PM
Large Bat

Although this is more or less me just tossing a little more fuel to the fire of a heated debate.. I have all was have been a bit of a pyro..

I know Quellious had a raid rotation between the raid guilds. It was a community effort like people are saying. The raiding guilds of Quellious got tired of fighting over certain raid content I would like to say it was mostly dungeon based things like VP and NToV (which is not in game yet), but things like Trak(for example) was first come first served. Keep in mind if a force started getting mobilized and was there right in front of Trak (again for example) most guilds would let them be.

I guess the biggest point I am trying to make is that other servers on the SOE servers did do rotations to a degree.

Hrmm I think I might of just added to the mess.. oh well heh
Old 05-31-2011, 02:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aadill [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just playing devil's advocate~
so then would you agree with me that it'd be a good idea to dump it? Because what I just quoted says nothing fruitful whatsoever.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:08 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Versus

I'd just like to say that removing variance would create a massive clusterfuck and headache. You'd have 3-4 guilds with timers on almost everything and they'd be training and petitioning their way around the game every week. Shit would be mayhem and GM's would kill themselves.

Kolored on Red.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:09 PM
Planar Protector

I didn't say whether I want it dumped or not. Frankly I play when I can and when I can't trust that my guildmates at least attempt to race for the raid mobs that spawn at odd hours due to variance. It's led to some interesting tactics that even upon failing has left us with some fun experiences.

Do I want to know that I only have to log on at 6:35pm est every week? Nah, I'd probably not play as often. On the other hand, others would play more. Dumping variance and adding rotations may be classic but racing, training, and wiping are just as classic depending on where you came from. Rotations would be reasonable if you still had to be responsible for tracking the mob and if you didn't realize it was up, failed, or decided to pass due to low numbers at an odd hour, it would go to the next on the list.

The fruit of my post: If you feel it a better idea to add rotations "because it's classic," keep variance but tighten the window a bit, add rotation but impose strict time limits that are dynamic with level ranges/item increases (set this via guilds deciding on what is considered reasonable yet still competitive)
Last edited by Aadill; 05-31-2011 at 02:13 PM..
Closed Thread