Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: Should there be a permanent IP ban option?
I agree. 93 78.15%
I don't agree (tell us why below). 26 21.85%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 12:30 PM
Sarnak

Exclamation Petition for permanent IP ban punishment option

Does anyone else think it's weak that someone can get caught RMTing or cheating and simply make a new account in 2 seconds and keep playing?

I'm not saying all in-game bans should be IP bans, but the more drastic offenses definitely should. Get caught RMTing or using cheating/third party software should be a permanent IP ban.

/Sign if you agree.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:31 PM
Sarnak

Example: Nocturne/Sonaa/Evelinn. He got caught red handed RMTing and he simply just made a new account and now sells Bard power-levels for 2.5k a pull. He'll be more careful to not get caught RMTing this time, and meanwhile he knows that if he does he knows he can still just do the same thing all over.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Planar Protector

In other news, the death penalty not only deters everyone from committing heinous crimes, but it also never gets used on innocent parties by accident!
Old 03-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Aviak

Only problem I see would be the fluidity of IP addresses. Most people have dynamic IPs. I unplug my modem for 5 minutes, I get a new one assigned to me. Even ignoring that, a really determined person could do a bunch of things: get a new ISP, use a phone tether, connect at a public place, hide behind 7 proxies, etc.

Though I would totally get behind an effort that would permanently ban the types of offenders you list.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:41 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidoof [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Only problem I see would be the fluidity of IP addresses. Most people have dynamic IPs. I unplug my modem for 5 minutes, I get a new one assigned to me. Even ignoring that, a really determined person could do a bunch of things: get a new ISP, use a phone tether, connect at a public place, hide behind 7 proxies, etc.

Though I would totally get behind an effort that would permanently ban the types of offenders you list.
Good point. I wonder if there's any type of way to permanent ban in game.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezalor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Example: Nocturne/Sonaa/Evelinn. He got caught red handed RMTing and he simply just made a new account and now sells Bard power-levels for 2.5k a pull. He'll be more careful to not get caught RMTing this time, and meanwhile he knows that if he does he knows he can still just do the same thing all over.
2.5k a pull? What a ripoff!

Quote:

While it's true that you can just get a new IP, the point is that these people shouldn't be allowed to keep playing if they've been "permanently" banned. Ie, if they admit to being who they are in game, they should be banned again, and if their guild hides who they are, the guild should be punished too. The only way to get around this would be to cheat and just assume a new identity, but then you wouldn't be able to get PLed back to 60 easily, so it's not that big of a harm. The biggest problem is when people get banned and then use their connections to get PLed again. This has been a huge issue on both servers and it would be great to see it addressed.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 03-18-2013, 01:07 PM
Fire Giant

The intention is legitimate and I do support it, but I honestly doubt IP bans will accomplish much. If someone really wants to get back in they will anyway. Steal a neighbors wifi, tether their cellphone, and hell even get a new ISP. None of those things are hard to do.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:10 PM
Kobold

Just delete the toon. If that's not possible, delevel and strip the toon.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yajirobe Yajipants [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just delete the toon. If that's not possible, delevel and strip the toon.
Now we're talking, de-level all characters to 1, stripped, coined and they can start again. Play properly and it can never happen to you.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:24 PM
Planar Protector

Let me reset my router.
Closed Thread