Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 11:17 AM
Aviak

Default Druid Charm Killing (not really kitting)

So I tried something new last night and I'm sure it's been done before but it feels like it has been a ton more effective than charm kiting.

Charm Kiting = Charming an animal, snaring enemy, dDOT/DD enemeny while charmed animal beats on enemy, camo to break charm and kill enemy for most exp, then re-charm animal for another enemy kill.

I find with the above method I could only really kill two crag spiders in EK before going OOM, netting around 5% exp. So I tried this:

Charm Killing = Charm Gore Hound or Dark Stalker, sic after another animal of the same Con, when both are low on HP, camo to break charm, kill both animals.

I find that even though I'm getting less exp per kill because the hounds/stalkers are lower level than the spiders, I am getting more kills in before OOM. - usually 5-8% exp per bar of mana.

Am I "doing it right"?
Old 03-22-2012, 12:46 PM
Kobold

Both methods are good and it depends on the situation.

The first method that you mentioned will work great, since you are using charm/agro kiting. What I did with my druid, when you are performing charm agro, don't bother DOT at all because it is a waste of mana since you are not getting full damages due to the fact that mob is not rooting (or standing still).

What I do is snared the targeted enemy mob, nuke twice with Dizzy Wind. Dizzy Wind will build the high agro on you because it has stun effect. So you just run really far away (not too far) sit and med while your pet is beating the crap out of enemy mob. Re-charm your mob if it breaks (I'm sure you are an expert by now about charming and re-charm)

Charm Killing, when you root other mob and let them fight against each other, you break your pet and kill your pet and enemy mob is the most effective way and mana saving since you really just sit there and watch them go at it. This one work best and preferred if you manage to find the area where there are plenty of animals to charm.

When I was in EK, killing Craig Spider, I would charm doggie or Griffawn and go with method 1 until my mob charm pet gets really low health and then I switch it to method 2.

Mixing these methods worked great for me and I am still using it in South Karana.
Last edited by Yardcore; 03-22-2012 at 12:48 PM..
Old 03-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Aviak

Thanks. Yeah, I guess I got super tired of killing spiders and the mana saving that comes from letting a charmed pet beat on a equal con'd mob has been refreshing. I didn't really use DOT but mostly the careless lightning spell - never used dizzying wind but that makes total sense for aggro purposes - thank you.

I used to watch episodes of "The walking dead" while resting in between pulls but since I am caught up on the season I get bored just surfing the internet.

I think charm killing needs a better name - perhaps "fight clubbing"? haha.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:26 PM
Kobold

I heard a lot of good things about "The Walking Dead" I think should check it out!

I saw you wrote about breaking charm with "camo" spell, any chance that you are Woodelf or Halfling race? You can use "hide" button to safe mana. It works most of the time, give it a try.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:18 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardcore [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I saw you wrote about breaking charm with "camo" spell, any chance that you are Woodelf or Halfling race? You can use "hide" button to safe mana. It works most of the time, give it a try.
Actually I am a halfling. Thanks for tip! I will try it out.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Sarnak

If you're hunting animals with your charmed pet, you can also just use your level 1 spell panic animal on what you're killing. You won't need to aggro kite; you'll get to just chill and med while your pet does the work and your pet will do quite a bit more damage as it will be attacking your target from behind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-22-2012, 06:03 PM
Sarnak

Flame lick and other lower level spells like the aforementioned wind are great for aggro kiting. Time the med tics and sit for a split second and you get the same benefit as medding the whole time too. You should never really use more mana than you regen back between kills.
Closed Thread