Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 02-02-2020, 01:36 AM
Orc

Default I am a newb, is this more that sufficient to run EQ?

Haven't played in years and excited to play again! Played on Rallos Zek for a couple years after it went live. People charming you to attack guards... the good ol days! Also played here for a couple years on the red server. Then marriage, dog, kid, etc. But now that life calmed down a bit, hoping to squeeze a couple hours here and there.

Anyways, I don't know squat about PCs, so hoping to get a quick confirm that I am getting something that is more than sufficient.

Just some random one I found doing a google search for 'cheap desktops'. Walmart was the top return and I found this --- Dell Optiplex Desktop Computer 3.3 GHz Core 2 Duo Tower PC, 4GB, 80GB HDD, Windows 10 x64, 17" Monitor , USB Mouse & Keyboard

Then I found someone posting on craigslist, and I found this (bonus is this comes with Office and I use word/excel a lot) -- https://newjersey.craigslist.org/sys...067475750.html
But I always wonder if these private people preload some sort of spying software... should I avoid private sellers, and buy from reputable place?

Anyways, I am sure anything new is more than enough, but just want to confirm.

thx
Old 02-02-2020, 03:23 AM
Aviak

There are so many ways to answer but I'll just say. Yes it can run this EQ version, I would just buy an extra 500GB+ SD Hard drive, remove that 80 GB. Get the Free windows 10 boot from USB from their website. If the copy of 10 is legit on that Computer it'll reload windows from scratch and you'll have no need to worry. The office is another story all together if you want a legit copy then id get the Office key number from buyer or if it's on the case even better. reload that from a copy you can get from microsoft for free, then put in the code to unlock it. you might have to do some Google magic if your unlearned in those.

easy way if you trust the buyer then just reset windows 10 but keep all apps, if the seller didn't just to that to somewhat protect their information.

easier way is just to use it and see what you'll need from there. Id still suggest getting something that has an ATI or Nvidia card in it. I have played p99 on a smart book back in 2011, it was trash but it worked.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:09 AM
Sarnak

for office, just get open office. Its free and is fine for most people.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:37 AM
Orc

Quylein - you recommend a different HD and Vid card. In simple terms, is that just to boost performance? And more importantly, if i didn’t purchase those items, Would the game run smoothly in either machine? Cause in the end, that’s all I care about.

Albanwr - is this what you are referring to https://www.openoffice.org/why/index.html
If so, does this software allow me to open Word and Excel files, or are they not compatible? Thx for the tip!
Old 02-02-2020, 10:42 AM
Planar Protector

Any computer built in the last 15 years can most likely run p99 lol
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:20 AM
Kobold

You realize EQ Titanium was released in 2006, OP? And is mostly a re-release of the game as it was in 1999 with a few tweaks.

How would even the most garbage computer not be able to run a 20 year old game?
Old 02-04-2020, 07:54 AM
Orc

Thanks for the replies! I couldn’t justify buying a PC to play it, so my wife and I tried to load it up on her Mac (she is pretty savvy with this stuff). But she got stuck and ran into a snag, so it’s just not meant to be. It was more of a nostalgia thing, so will just read some posts and watch a few vids to get my fix ��