Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 03:46 AM
Kobold

Default Everquest lore is ridiculously overlooked

When I discovered Everquest a couple years ago I legitimately had no idea that Norrath's lore would be this absurdly deep and complex. And the thing is, unlike other games that deliver lore through bullshit cutscenes and interactive movies, the story is told through nuanced and subtle design choices. Things are implied through dropped items, rare books, spawn locations, etcetera.

The thing is, sometimes the epic quest lines straight up tell you SOME information (which a lot of people don't pay attention to), but epic quest lines are meant to be grindy, long and difficult and are canonically sort of passed on as "trade secrets" among players of that certain class so it gives the lore an even greater sense of subtlety.

And let's not delve into Kunark content like the Iksar queen of Torsis (City of Mist) having an affair with one of the crusaders which lead to the king abandoning his faith in Cazic Thule and having his daughter stolen, or Sebilis, or the Combine Empire, or how the entire concept of the Monk class was started by a bard named Xan Fi who was really good at punching shit to death, or we'll be here all day.

If I google this type of thing I generally don't get the thorough, complete answers that I want, so maybe one of us (I'm willing to take that mantle) should research the entirety of Everquest Classic lore that's not fully tackled ingame (up to late Velious) and compile it in one easily accessible website or on the wiki.

23 y/o forever DM and old school fantasy nerd - Discord: midoo
Odym Drekk
- 54 BAR SHM (main) || Midoo - 52 BAR WAR (alt)

Old 09-25-2019, 04:14 AM
Sarnak

Look into Miragul, and his network, some awesome lore there that will certainly entertain you.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:24 AM
Planar Protector

the greatest story ever told in Norrath is the story of the Avatar of Fear, told entirely through loot tables and mob spawns:

1. in the theatre area of Plane of Mischief, a number of human-sized "puppet" versions of various gods appear once every game morning.
2. unless a particular audience member is killed, Bristlebane will shout about a missing Cazic Thule puppet and cancel the puppet show.
3. the golems in Plane of Fear can drop Puppet Strings.
4. in the Temple of Cazic Thule spawns the Avatar of Fear, a human-sized version of Cazic Thule.

i'll leave the satisfaction of putting the pieces together to the reader.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:03 AM
Planar Protector

Only one name, Kraddok!
https://youtu.be/1Rr8XTSDWmY
Last edited by elwing; 09-25-2019 at 05:08 AM..
Old 09-25-2019, 05:26 AM
Kobold

Out of all games and media EQ lore is my favorite. My brothers and I have used eq lore in tabletop games. Warcraft lore is good too but I vastly prefer eq lore. I could be biased because I grew up playing eq.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:55 AM
Kobold

I also use EQ lore in table top games. I ran a quick campaign once that was basically the Gnollslayer quest
Old 09-25-2019, 08:20 AM
Banned

Default Enchanter Epic

There are some table top RP books out there.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Also comics and books such as The Ocean of Tears, Blood Red Harp and Rogues Hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plzrelax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I also use EQ lore in table top games. I ran a quick campaign once that was basically the Gnollslayer quest
The Visiting Priestess goes into Neriak lore, why their fires are blue. I admire someone who outfits their DE with enchanted Adamantite armor.
Last edited by Mblake81; 09-25-2019 at 08:42 AM..
Old 09-25-2019, 09:27 AM
Kobold

The RPG books have a ton of detail on many of the dungeons as well, Befallen is it's own adventure and has a bit more covering the goings on in there. It's all well done and worth reading if you are a fan of the lore.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbstractVision [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Look into Miragul, and his network, some awesome lore there that will certainly entertain you.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:31 AM
Planar Protector

I salute you if you make an EQ lore wiki/site, with so many resources it will be a continous work. Good luck
Closed Thread