Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 10:38 PM
Kobold

Default Any EQ private servers aside from P99 that don't allow multiboxing?

I never played live and I'm curious about EQ's post-Velious content, so I tried playing other servers. With player counts almost rivaling P99 it seemed promising on the surface, but I was very displeased to find those three digit figures were just ten people in total each multiboxing giant raid balls of 50 characters and quietly jerking off in the corner of PoK all day.

How the fuck do people think this is normal? Why don't you go play a singleplayer game instead? Maybe Live died because motherfuckers with social anxiety figured out how to automate spellcasts on 20 game clients and started playing an MMO like an RTS.

Rant aside, is there a single post-classic Everquest private server somewhere that forbids multiboxing?

23 y/o forever DM and old school fantasy nerd - Discord: midoo
Odym Drekk
- 54 BAR SHM (main) || Midoo - 52 BAR WAR (alt)

Old 01-06-2022, 10:49 PM
Planar Protector

tldr i duno

maybe you should try live prog servers. should be a new one around may-june time. great way to experience post-velious content on a rail

boxing isn't "forbidden" on truebox but they make you use a second computer to do it, plus finance two accounts, and so most people don't, and any guild worth playing in will not let you get double dkp. mine encouraged everyone to focus on one char because most boxers play both their chars like trash

but you'll encounter boxers there, so not an option that just outright offends you

also it will probably only cost you money for the first month, after that you'll just use krono if you play more than an hr a day on average
Old 01-06-2022, 11:56 PM
Banned

U should launch one.

Live is riddled with box armies and automation. People play live like it's a single player party game. Even on the "truebox" servers. Tho 90% of the time ppl will be nice if you ask for help anyway. Just don't expect to get anywhere without a boxxed alt or two.
Old 01-07-2022, 12:34 AM
Planar Protector

If there is its hard to enforce.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:15 AM
Kobold

Not all the other 'three digit' servers allow unlimited boxing. The Al'Kabor Project lists how many one, two and three boxers there are online at any given time. (max is 3) There are roughly as many one box players as three box players.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torven [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not all the other 'three digit' servers allow unlimited boxing. The Al'Kabor Project lists how many one, two and three boxers there are online at any given time. (max is 3) There are roughly as many one box players as three box players.
that just shows how many ppl are 4 box'n around the rules [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

and yes b4 u say nuh uh

the number of 'four people' hanging out doing nothing while the 'main' does all the work is incredibly steep lewls

people already have stables and stables of every classs

they should just disable boxing and make it so u start at lvl 60
Old 01-07-2022, 02:10 PM
Planar Protector

The fundamental reason why no one but P99 does single-boxing is that having a single-boxed server isn't a technical issue ... it's a human one.

To have a single-box server you need GMs who actively police that policy. No other server has such dedicated staff, or any interest in trying to recruit a community of them, so they do the easy thing and don't police boxing.

P.S. To be fair there absolutely is a technical aspect too, with blocking the same IP address and stuff, but my point is VPNs will always get around that unless you have 2-boxing "police".

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 01-07-2022, 02:16 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The fundamental reason why no one but P99 does single-boxing is that having a single-boxed server isn't a technical issue ... it's a human one.

To have a single-box server you need GMs who actively police that policy. No other server has such dedicated staff, or any interest in trying to recruit a community of them, so they do the easy thing and don't police boxing.

P.S. To be fair there absolutely is a technical aspect too, with blocking the same IP address and stuff, but my point is VPNs will always get around that unless you have 2-boxing "police".
As unfortunate as it sounds, I believe you are right..the only hope is for the staff to release expansions on p99 for that dream to be realized.
Old 01-07-2022, 02:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallowaypa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the only hope is for the staff to release expansions on p99 for that dream to be realized.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-07-2022, 02:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallowaypa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As unfortunate as it sounds, I believe you are right..the only hope is for the staff to release expansions on p99 for that dream to be realized.
I'm not saying it's impossible; obviously P99 has done it, so others could too someday.

I'm just saying that most EQ servers are run by a single nerd who installed and tweaked the EQ Emu software ... ie. a "dev". For another community to have P99's (one-box) success, they would need someone with a skillset extended beyond just "dev" . They'd need a community builder and organizer, ie. a "manager" and "recruiter".

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Closed Thread