Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 03:52 PM
Banned

tl;dr we cant cater to everyone so we're going to cater to the extremely neckbeardy no-lifer minority with EXTREMELY non-classic server mechanics
Old 02-02-2017, 03:53 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadiki [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
hahaha R&F is my favorite forum. Hard to take this seriously, but -

On live if you felt like doing a quest you could usually just go find the NPC up and do it.
On live you could just wait for a NToV full repop and randomly schedule a day to go kill a few of them and they would likely still be up.
On live you couldn't do any of the stuff that's encouraged by the rules here, because they actually supported a Play Nice Policy.

Stuff spawned and was usually up for days regardless of what it was. Here, even the most minor things are destroyed within seconds. There is no 'best way' to play EQ, but it's not an opinion that this isn't what the game was. You only keep that kind of fun and community by driving out the toxicity that entered MMOs after EQ's prime-time, not by catering to it. I appreciate that Sirken wants to make everyone happy, but EQ actually had a sense of wonder and community. Putting in 'more effort' didn't consist of joining a certain guild and staring at a wall while they tag a mob for you. You joined like minded individuals and dungeon crawling was fun and exciting.

The fact that people would rather 'win' everything than have fun on an EQ emulation server confuses me. If your fondest memories include socking spawns and killing dragons with different models at zonelines over and over, I feel bad for you.
consider red99 server. its like that. dragons waiting for you there for ages...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
It is not a server that allows you to just show up and press the "free loot" button, and it's not a server that rewards you for simply existing.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:57 PM
Fire Giant

Really the only ones left out are the 10% of vocal casual whiners. Everyone else just play the game and level up or join A/A or CSG if they want. It's not 90% who are complaining. All the whining casuals on the boards here are a gross misrepresentation of actual casuals who just play and fun. All the people on this board pretending to be casual and whining are just failed neckbeards ^^
Old 02-02-2017, 04:00 PM
Planar Protector

It's almost like there is a reason why every single major MMORPG (including Everquest) instanced content from 2003 onward.

This server intends to mimic (mostly) Everquest from a mechanical perspective in the appropriate era. 7 day respawns that drop 2-4 loot for 80 players. These problems are inherent with EQ of this era - there isn't enough content on the high end.

It's unlikely to change.
Don't like it? Play TAKP, P2002, Phinigel, etc.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:05 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXIII [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
consider red99 server. its like that. dragons waiting for you there for ages...
I honestly don't understand why this isn't happening, everyone says "open a new server" when there is an almost empty server there for the taking. From what I am told starting fresh there isn't even that difficulty because of the crazy exp bonuses there. Get 60 in a flash and raid what you want, have the added bonus of "handling things on your own" when it comes to contested raid mobs...
Old 02-02-2017, 04:09 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's almost like there is a reason why every single major MMORPG (including Everquest) instanced content from 2003 onward.

This server intends to mimic (mostly) Everquest from a mechanical perspective in the appropriate era. 7 day respawns that drop 2-4 loot for 80 players. These problems are inherent with EQ of this era - there isn't enough content on the high end.

It's unlikely to change.
Later MMOs instituted instanced content because it was cheaper to administer, not because it was inherently better.

You could have automated quakes every 7 days or so and no need for instances. It would still be open world competition.

The second issue is that blue is overpopulated. P99 would do better to shutter red and open another blue server. Red servers were never more than 10% of the playerbase on live either.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:14 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcelona [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I honestly don't understand why this isn't happening, everyone says "open a new server" when there is an almost empty server there for the taking. From what I am told starting fresh there isn't even that difficulty because of the crazy exp bonuses there. Get 60 in a flash and raid what you want, have the added bonus of "handling things on your own" when it comes to contested raid mobs...
I started reading this and thought you were going to say "I don't understand why people keep suggesting this" but you took a slightly different turn. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

It's a PvP server which is fundamentally different from a PvE server in a multitude of ways. The fact that it's underpopulated doesn't suddenly make it a viable alternative to a crowded PvE server. Most of us play on blue because EQ PvP isn't our cup of tea. No amount of free dragons will change that.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

It's unlikely to change.
things could change very quickly if we got rid of the drugs at the very top of the raiding scene
Old 02-02-2017, 04:17 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Completely understood. But some complain about variance, not a thing on red99. Others complain about wanting to really compete and not have to track/poopsock. Also not a thing on red, well, you may want to "track" where competing guilds are at times I imagine. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-02-2017, 04:46 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But either way, if you don't show up to try, how can you argue?
I think it's because standing at the line for potentially 16 hours straight is not most people idea of fun.