Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 01:22 PM
Aviak

Default VGOEmulator Update

Change log has been updated.

New revisions 2860 to 2983

http://vgoemulator.net/index.php?p=changelog

Currently updating the website so excuse the look please.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:28 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to NecroP99 Send a message via Yahoo to NecroP99

I never played Vanguard - what's it all about? it came out during my video game dark period where I was doing stuff IRL
Old 09-29-2017, 04:18 PM
Planar Protector

Vanguard was in essence a larger, more expansive Everquest. The classes were better designed and there were so many dungeons--some hidden in out of the way places--that most players likely never saw the majority of them. It was probably the most ambitious role playing game of its kind, at least by the standards of a decade ago.

Unfortunately, it was also the most comprehensively broken video game I think I've ever played. Not a single system worked right 100% of the time. Absolutely nothing. Zoning didn't work right, combat didn't work right, spells didn't always work, crafting was sometimes glitchy, the client was full of memory leaks, and so forth. Playing Vanguard could be likened to the video game equivalent of death by a thousand cuts--no single glitch was necessarily severe enough to cause a player to ragequit, however over time the sheer unending glitchiness of the thing gradually wore people down. Vanguard was poorly managed, its studio was rife with internal turmoil, and the game was released when it was functionally a glorified alpha. That doomed it to failure before it ever had a fair chance. After the failure of the original studio, its second owners (Sony) immediately relegated it to the position of an unwanted problem, staffed mostly by inept rejects or new hires, in which condition it labored until finally being put out of its misery several years ago.

An emulated version might work a lot better than the original game since it's an entirely new host.

Danth
Old 09-29-2017, 04:19 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroP99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I never played Vanguard - what's it all about? it came out during my video game dark period where I was doing stuff IRL
Vanguard was ahead of it's time I think. I played at launch till about 6 months in, then off and on for a year or so. Never made it to the endgame.

It's a true spiritual successor to EQ. The coolest thing about it imo was the different spheres - adventuring, crafting and diplomacy. Adventuring and crafting is pretty obvious, but the diplomacy was like it's own mini-game. You talked to NPC's and played a card game along with the conversion to influence things. At high end you could influence an entire city (aka zone wide buffage). There was supposed to be more with it but i don't think it was ever implemented.

It really was an amazing game that failed due to a poor launch and extensive system reqs for the time. Iirc, they ran out of funds towards the end of development and decided to launch early to make up funds in subs to finish the game. It didn't work out too well.

Thanks for the update Xinux, I'm really looking forward to when it's finished. Keep up the good work!
Old 09-29-2017, 04:23 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to NecroP99 Send a message via Yahoo to NecroP99

So is this thing playable yet or is it still being developed? The EMU version that is
Old 09-29-2017, 05:09 PM
Planar Protector

Faux and Danth really summed it up perfectly. Vanguard was my biggest heartbreak in a mmo. I followed it through development and was in line day 1 to pick up my collector's edition copy. I felt like it was the "real" Everquest 2. It was just so sad it was so buggy and eventually shut down.

It had real genuine potential. Ahead of its time perhaps.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 09-29-2017, 05:44 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Faux and Danth really summed it up perfectly. Vanguard was my biggest heartbreak in a mmo. I followed it through development and was in line day 1 to pick up my collector's edition copy. I felt like it was the "real" Everquest 2. It was just so sad it was so buggy and eventually shut down.

It had real genuine potential. Ahead of its time perhaps.

I agree Evia. I also purchased the collector's edition, which I still have. It was an extremely ambitious game and they almost delivered.

One of the coolest things I remember was starting one of the Asiatic humans (was it Koji?) as a sk but in Vanguard were they called dread lords? dire lords? Something like that. The opening was the invasion of this island, it was like a fantasy inspired WWII pacific theater bit. Was really well done. Felt like my actions and decisions had impact in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroP99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So is this thing playable yet or is it still being developed? The EMU version that is
I think you can create characters and mess around in some of the starting areas but that's about it for the present. http://vgoemulator.net/phpBB3/index.php for more infos.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:54 PM
Planar Protector

Did these guys end up getting help on the DB? hopefully yes

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Old 09-30-2017, 05:19 PM
Aviak

Nope it didn't pan out. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] We did get some help on a few other things tho.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:24 PM
Kobold

Wow, Vanguard. That was one that I wanted to work really badly, but overall it fell apart due to bugs and performance issues. I had the Collector's edition, and even still listen to the game music CD from time to time. I played for months after release, but it just was not panning out, and I actually went back to old EQ and started over with a new class...

Vanguard had tons of potential...probably too much, and it was far ahead of its time. The game engine was ultimately not suited for the game's design, and it never could have been. The game programmers were all simultaneously fired in their parking lot, too!

"...the staff of Sigil Games Online were told to meet in the parking lot at 4:30PM and to take with them what they would need for the rest of the day. The employees were told that the launch of the game had not gone well, the company was in financial trouble and they were selling the company to Sony Online Entertainment. Director of Production, Andy Platter, then told the employees 'You're all fired.'"

To be successful, Vanguard would have had to be released with the technology of NOW, but with the same atmosphere and hype of 10 years ago...
Closed Thread