Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 07:20 AM
Kobold

Default New to the server and seeking advice

Hey all. I'm just starting out on the server after playing on one of the boxing servers for a while. I got tired of needing to have a box to get anything done. I'm trying to decide what I should use for my first class on here. I enjoy playing a lot of the classes, but some are just better at making money than others. Is necromancer a good starting class if I want to be able to twink a monk or shaman later on? Or should I just go with the monk and hope to survive long enough to get some decent gear? It's been pretty rough these first few levels as a necro (hooray for 50% pet xp!) and just trying to decide if I should stick it out or cut my losses and go with another class that might need some better equipment to get it done. I'm a semi casual player because family always takes precedence. Thanks for any input. I'm really enjoying the feeling of having to actually work for something again in a game.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:55 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by titofuentes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey all. I'm just starting out on the server after playing on one of the boxing servers for a while. I got tired of needing to have a box to get anything done. I'm trying to decide what I should use for my first class on here. I enjoy playing a lot of the classes, but some are just better at making money than others. Is necromancer a good starting class if I want to be able to twink a monk or shaman later on? Or should I just go with the monk and hope to survive long enough to get some decent gear? It's been pretty rough these first few levels as a necro (hooray for 50% pet xp!) and just trying to decide if I should stick it out or cut my losses and go with another class that might need some better equipment to get it done. I'm a semi casual player because family always takes precedence. Thanks for any input. I'm really enjoying the feeling of having to actually work for something again in a game.
Right now since it is summer, population is a bit down. Which means finding groups can be a challenge some nights. Play a solo friendly class.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Kobold

I was already leaning toward necro anyway. Anyone have some idea about when my DoTs start doing a better job than my pet? Currently they just hit so hard in comparison. Are shaman solo friendly on here? It's been so long since only Kunark for me. Thanks everyone!
Old 06-21-2012, 10:48 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by titofuentes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone have some idea about when my DoTs start doing a better job than my pet?
Never, unfortunately. The pet xp nerf is easily the stupidest thing ever. It totally breaks the way mages and necros were designed to be played, imo. Wtf is the point of having a pet, of having a spell that hastes your pet, etc., if you can't hardly use it except to finish off runners unless you want to get 1/2 xp at best? Wtf is the point of having dots that last 2+ minutes if you have to chainlifetap/nuke/poison dot everything you pull in hopes of beating your pet's DPS?

50+ necros don't even use their pets solo, really. They have it out to act as CC when they get an add, or to finish off something that is already below 50% from dots. They just root-dot like a druid would but with the added benefit of lich and lifetaps.

Two of the strongest solo classes in the game can only operate at full capacity on this server if they are not soloing (grouping with just 1 other person totally eliminates pets eating xp).

Quote:
Are shaman solo friendly on here?
Shamans are powerful eventually, but they're basically a melee from 1-34 imo, in that they aren't very strong unless you spend some pp on a solid weapon and a haste item and some high AC gear. And even then, you aren't an awesome shaman at 45 unless you have 25k to spend on a JBB, or an awesome sham at 60 unless you have 30k to spend on torpor and quite a bit more for your 55 pet and high-level dots.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Fire Giant

Necro's a great 1st toon. They need Zero gear, can solo, and will be able to do PP camps later on to gear up an alt.
I'm pretty sure you'll always outaggro your pet. Esp with a snare on it. Keep in mind dots get reduced 30% (source. my number is prob off) when the target is moving.
So root rotting kills things faster, but also kills your pet.

Shammies solo well and will always be in demand. Can root/rot with them.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Planar Protector

Honestly If your goal is to play a monk roll a monk first. Leveling a necro to 50+ in order to speed up leveling a monk seems like a poor time investment. There are groups to be had bandages to be purchased( or bummed from a Mage), leveling 2 characters bound to be slower than 1
Old 06-21-2012, 12:15 PM
Kobold

Well crap. Heh. It seems necro would be good for pp purposes but not as easy to level as before. I was hoping shammies would be a bit solo friendlier. Looks like I'll be sticking with necro since there are already tons of twinked monks and they are not solo friendly.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Sarnak

Was in a similar boat as you though I wanted to build a rogue. I started on the server as a rogue but around 20 I found my character just so horribly geared I wasn't enjoying myself. I shelved the rogue and created a necro strictly to farm plat for the rogue. Not only did I make piles and piles of plat to twink out a rogue I also was able to quickly relearned much of the game since I hadn't played since 2001. The necro needed no gear (think I used flayed skin and junk gear till level 52) and leveling it was really fast since I was solo 100% of the time. If you enjoy playing a twinked character from start to finish than I suggest getting a necro built. Once it's in the high 30s you can start farming hill giants easily then move to seafuries around 46.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namegen_Isterrible [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Shamans are powerful eventually, but they're basically a melee from 1-34 imo, in that they aren't very strong unless you spend some pp on a solid weapon and a haste item and some high AC gear.
Thats nuts, I soloed my Shammy basically from 1 - 50 (obviously combined with grouping and soloing elsewhere, but my play times were not condusive to being able to play in a group all that often) as follows:

1-9 EF trash, BB teeth
9-19 Kiting mammoth calves with SOW, DOTs
20-34 Kiting mammoths ditto
34-42 Cynthia in RM
42-50 Spectres in Feerott / Guards in Ogguk

This is with very basic (cheap) equipment. At the top end of each level range yes you can melee to add DPS but prior to that a young shaman gets his ass kicked trying to melee. All SOW, root, DOT with disease / poison (and later pet) and run away when root breaks. Rinse and repeat.

Regards,
Mg

OMNI Officer (Retired from EQ)
Check out my P99 Hunting Guide!
Last edited by mgellan; 06-21-2012 at 12:42 PM..
Old 06-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Kobold

Necro it is for now. I enjoy the class but am not liking the xp. Oh well. It comes in time. It's not supposed to be easy or fast. Maybe I'll start a shammies alt for when I need a change of pace. Thanks all
Closed Thread