Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 06-23-2023, 10:47 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yea in the game of risk v reward having 96% or even 90% rezzes on tap is very helpful. An enchanter and shaman toolkits have enough overlap that unless you absolutely need malo a cleric is simply better.
It really just depends on how much you die. If your group isn't very good, a Cleric can be a good crutch for sure. An experienced group is going to die from time to time, but not often enough for it to be a necessity.

Your group can also level a pocket cleric and a low level rogue if they are concerned, you don't need a cleric constantly in group just for a res.
Old 06-23-2023, 11:27 AM
Planar Protector

Deffo if you are good and experienced you won't die so often.

However, if I were doing a self farm gear / dungeons trio, I'd deffo do a lot of stuff that pushed the limits of my equipment, experience and talents as I'd enjoy the challenging aspect to it as well as doing content I may have previously overlooked or skipped.

As such I'd expect to go on many adventures that would be likely to involve a lot of dying. Of course, there would be the option to just pile up the corpses and get them rezzed after 2 hours even without a cleric/paladin/nec to hand.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 06-23-2023, 12:26 PM
Orc

Gonna be spending a lot of time in guk for gear especially on a reset. Cleric is gonna do big things other than healing there. Plus even if you are experienced, bad pulls or bad pathing happen more often than you think. Unless you have a monk pulling it’s gonna be tough. Still gonna go with cleric chanter and monk
Old 06-23-2023, 01:28 PM
Planar Protector

Safehall bound cleric?

Old 06-26-2023, 01:50 PM
Planar Protector

Its still cleric / chanter / monk no matter how many pages DSM argues for shaman.
Old 06-26-2023, 07:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Its still cleric / chanter / monk no matter how many pages DSM argues for shaman.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...37&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Eh. Typically if you're getting a port, it will come w/ SoW too. Unfortunately EQ is going to be more about mastering 1 camp / dungeon at a time and then moving on to the next after a few (or many) levels.

SoW potions are a cheap way to have access to movement speed buffs as well.

While not quite as strong, another composition that would work extremely well would be an all iksar SK / Monk / Shaman / Necro.

You get to start in the same area right at character creation, fantastic 1-20 leveling between Field of Bone and Kurns, amazing synergy between all those classes, 3x Feign Deaths / the shaman can gate when shit hits the fan, shaman SoW, and later on the necro can bring amazing damage charming undead. Did I mention Iksar master race?

Its just played a bit differently....but would be FAR more forgiving for completely untwinked and inexperienced players. As long as the shaman continues to play, anyone else could quit and the group would still perfectly capable.

Just food for thought. I always wanted to do an untwinked static sham / necro / monk trio.
You know what I am referring to with a Shaman, and agree they synergize well. I am not sure what content you think requires a Cleric.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 06-26-2023 at 07:33 PM..
Old 06-27-2023, 12:13 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevellyan06 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What's the best trio of classes to do dungeons and self farm gear as you level?
Anybody who says something besides Cleric/Ench/Monk or Cleric/Ench/SK is trying to be provocative or is pushing an agenda.

Or they want you to have fun. Have fun instead, its a 24 year old game.
Old 06-27-2023, 12:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anybody who says something besides Cleric/Ench/Monk or Cleric/Ench/SK is trying to be provocative or is pushing an agenda.

Or they want you to have fun. Have fun instead, its a 24 year old game.
It is not provocative to say you don't need a Cleric in a trio to level efficiently, as it is true.

Also, have fun and don't think you need to play a Cleric[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Shaman/Enchanter/Monk or Shaman/Enchanter/SK is a very powerful trio.
Old 06-27-2023, 02:47 AM
Planar Protector

I started with an enc / druid / sk trio and honestly the sk was an xp sponge dead weight.

Old 06-27-2023, 04:50 AM
Orc

I would argue that enc/clr/monk is a fun group. It is also the most efficient at doing everything. If you want to race to 60 just play bard and anything else and get to 60 in a few days and steamroll all content.