Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 08-10-2014, 10:14 PM
Aviak

Yeah, well I'm not running an antivirus and that keeps coming up. I run Duxa's and I get to the char select screen. I run the v33 patch and I get the dsetup.dll msg.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:01 AM
Large Bat

My concern is it looks like the dsetup.dll is infected with Trojan.Gen.2 ... Google Trojan.Gen.2 it looks like a nasty one .. making your AV ignore it will let you play the game but it won't stop it from doing what it's designed to do .. if it is actually a trojan like Norton says it is
Old 08-11-2014, 12:12 AM
Planar Protector

from what i can tell, there is nothing to even worry about. unless you run EQ as admin, then sirken can delete your desktop icons.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:36 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaeras [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My concern is it looks like the dsetup.dll is infected with Trojan.Gen.2 ... Google Trojan.Gen.2 it looks like a nasty one .. making your AV ignore it will let you play the game but it won't stop it from doing what it's designed to do .. if it is actually a trojan like Norton says it is
ITS NOT A TROJAN. IT IS A FILE THE DEVS USE TO CATCH CHEATERS. GOD DAMN NEWBS
Old 08-12-2014, 09:49 PM
Large Bat

And we should listen to you Thulak why? You are a nobody to us jsut a guy who likes to spend way too much time posting on the forums. Now if a GM or a developer would like to comment on this and say what it does and what their intent is that would be very helpful indeed.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaeras [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And we should listen to you Thulak why? You are a nobody to us jsut a guy who likes to spend way too much time posting on the forums. Now if a GM or a developer would like to comment on this and say what it does and what their intent is that would be very helpful indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derubael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
McAfee is garbage Anti-Virus software, and will flag innocuous files while missing the malicious ones. Would highly recommend staying away from that and Norton, as they do more damage to your system (bogs performance, has weird conflicts with programs they shouldn't, way too many false positives and doesn't actually catch the really bad virus' that it should be catching). Get Kaspersky if you're computer savvy, or Webroot if you're not. AVG is decent for a free program, but if you're going to pay go with Webroot or Kaspersky.

After many years doing IT work, including far too many malware and virus removals, this is the best advice I can give next to "stop clicking links that you aren't 100% sure are safe."

If you have a friend who actually cracked the dll's encryption and managed to put it back together and get the full code, I don't think he'd be that disturbed.

Yes, dsetup is our anti-cheat. No, it's not malicious software, no it doesn't affect your computers performance, and no we cannot steal your credit card numbers or do anything nasty with the file itself. No, it's not getting removed, because it's our primary method of detecting third party programs, and without it Project 1999 would be rampant with cheaters.
Taken from:

http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...ghlight=dsetup

Anything else you would like to say?