Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-19-2011, 01:27 AM
Orc

Default Weird screen size causing issue.

SOooo here's the odd issue...

My laptop that I play this game on is a 1360x768 screen size. It does NOT conform to the norm of screen sizes but I wasn't having any issue playing this game in windowed mode. Then by some genius idea I wanted to play with it on a full screen. So I chose the option from the in-game window to un-check the windowed option and then it flipped out with a black screen and gave me a memory error message.

Every time I start the game now it tries to "match" or "configure" itself to the full window size and it craps out.

Here's what I have done since then to try and fix it.

- Changed the screen resolution on laptop to 800x600, while also changing P1999's screen resolution to 800x600 (through Duxa's all in one installer). This allowed me to get to the login screen but upon trying to login it then freezes up again forcing me to shut the program down.
- Uninstalled the entire Everquest game form computer and re-installed.
- Tried messing with the EQ.ini file that has the video settings saved, but for some reason it won't allow me to edit them (Yes I do have admin privileges but for some reason it won't allow em to edit them - it's also set in a "read-only" state which has me confused).

I'm assuming for some reason the error lies in trying to "match" the setting I had set in the game, but I'm not sure why I'm still having issues after trying to set it so that the settings will match.

What I'm wondering is, is this setting somehow saved on my computer through a file not in Everquest but through some file made in P1999? I was under the impression that double-clicking the P1999 icon it just re-routed me to the P1999 servers and wasn't a true program on the computer that saved settings and what not.

Hope this all made sense, thank you for reading and your input.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I have the exact same problem. But I used to play EQ on this labtop which is odd. I also removed and reinstalled from scratch. I have a similar screen size.

As far as the permissions try right clicking on what your trying to edit and go to security and edit which ever to allow full editing access not just read.

Other than that I will be jerking around with this as well. Hopefully we come up with a fix.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Cool

Alright I messed around for a bit and though I have not pinpointed what is causing the problem or exactly how to avoid it / fix it this is what I did to play.

As we both mentioned above we reinstalled the game from scratch, this may or may not be necessary regardless always a good starting point.

You said you changed your screen size on your laptop and in game. I had also noticed before reading your post that my issue started when i was messing around with screen size.

You should be able to leave your laptop size however you like it.
Next open up your P99 EQ Client and click options (Before the server screen)

(I believe the problem is that you can change your screen resolution in this options menu, but it does not recognize your computers screen resolution sizes.)

Set your screen resolution here to 800x600 (Like you had mentioned above)

Now you should be able to log into a server. Once you are logged into a server go to options / display / video mode, here you should be able to set your resolution to whatever size you want in accordance with computer.

And that should do it.

(On a side note, I disabled everything in the original options menu before the server select when I first did tried this.)
Old 06-19-2011, 04:52 PM
Orc

You're a genius, I hadn't even thought of that and it worked. Dude, what's your in-game main character? I have a 100pp reward on your way for helping me fix that issue.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:29 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Also because of our weird screen size, EQ would not recognize it. I noticed that if you go into windowed mode and back into full screen, if you click an area that was desktop space in windowed mode it will act as if you are still in windowed mode while in full screen and bring you to the desktop.

(If that makes any sense. You'll know what I am talking about when it happens.)

Simple fix to this is once your back in full screen mode go to video mode and just reselect the same video mode your currently using, thus problem solved until you go into windowed mode again.

My characters are Roobles and Unison.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:33 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akashaseven [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also because of our weird screen size, EQ would not recognize it. I noticed that if you go into windowed mode and back into full screen, if you click an area that was desktop space in windowed mode it will act as if you are still in windowed mode while in full screen and bring you to the desktop.

(If that makes any sense. You'll know what I am talking about when it happens.)

Simple fix to this is once your back in full screen mode go to video mode and just reselect the same video mode your currently using, thus problem solved until you go into windowed mode again.

My characters are Roobles and Unison.
I play on a 42" HDTV with HDMI in 1080P with a 24" Ultrasharp LCD as a secondary, and it took some twinking which may be beneficial to some of you. First, to see the new pet models and what not, I went into options and check marked all of them. Unfortunately this forced me back into 640. I went back into the eqclient.ini and changed all the settings back to 1920x1080 and set Windowed Mode to False and saved it. Fixed. Anytime you go into video options, it will reset the resolution, so you'll have to change it back manually.

Additionally, anytime I click onto anything on my second monitor, EQ goes into windows mode. The fix for this is relatively easy:

http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=25588

Run that before firing up EQ. When it goes into windowed mode, right click on that in your taskbar and choose "Switch to Full Screen". Viola. Back to full screen mode again. Rarely I'll have to do it twice. I do this when I switch back and forth between LCDs when I want to bring up a map or spell list on my 24".

Azorath