Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

View Poll Results: Do you feel the Green Server should revisit it's naming Policy?
Yes! It is supposed to be a fresh start! 93 54.07%
No thanks, i'll take the naming leftovers from Blue's 1,000,000 toons. 79 45.93%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 11:15 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So let me get this straight.

I have 3 accounts tied to my forum account or whatever. If i have 1 name on each account that i want on green i have to log into 3 separate accounts instead of being able to use them all on 1 account?
It has nothing to do with your forum account. In their announcement, they stated that you can use your name on Blue on Green IF you use the same login account. So the number of accounts you will have to log on to will not change, if you decide to recreate characters on Green with the same names you have on Blue.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daud [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I answered all of your points in a respectful manner in the best way I could. I don't expect you to "get it", because we obviously value different things and it's just going to give different outcomes in opinions. So, one more time:

I finished my post on my main point:

Do I really need to explain to you that feeling taking something from someone could not feel right to someone? That's the value. Not doing something that's (I feel) is wrong, taking something from someone else regardless of how much they use it since it's not impeding anyone else's enjoyment of the game to any significant degree.

When I typed "all that", I even explained that I understood that some people felt like they couldn't get a good name. I explained why I didn't feel the same way, why I might feel differently if circumstances were different from my own experiences, and showed why I felt that way giving your specific name example.
Well, I've found one person ... one, out of the entire forum (or at least those willing to comment on the topic) ... who at least claims to believe that there's more value to the "permanence" of accounts (that literally no one has played in years) than there is in freeing up all those names for people to actually ... you know ... play the damn game with! (Which, last I checked, was the entire point of having them.)

I can now no longer say "everyone in the forum is pro-basic wipe"; I now have to say "everyone except one freak ..." [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:14 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, I've found one person ... one, out of the entire forum (or at least those willing to comment on the topic) ... who at least claims to believe that there's more value to the "permanence" of accounts (that literally no one has played in years) than there is in freeing up all those names for people to actually ... you know ... play the damn game with! (Which, last I checked, was the entire point of having them.)
You can keep saying that the poll doesn't count, that people like Nagoya and Nilstoniakrath and a handful of others who are against it and have posted aren't really there,

You know what, nevermind, I'm not doing this with you anymore here.

You just start calling people names when they don't immediately agree with you. I don't fully blame you, staff allows this shit to go on and it's just SOP now, no one gets their dick slapped like they should when they start name calling and trying to get stuff moved to RNF. You win, it's obvious people are right when they say these boards are a toxic shit hole and you should just stick to the auction and class sections and completely avoid any of the "general chats", just trying to have a respectful disagreement isn't possible here without.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:48 PM
Fire Giant

Thanks Daud, for a second here Loramin erased me from existence lol.

Honestly, if any other system would have to be put into place, it would be a complete total fresh start, including all the reputation theft and ensuing drama. 100% fresh server, deal with it. FTE for your name and then cry me a fucking river when someone uses your name to be a dick.

Loramin there is one thing that you put absolutely no value in, and it is staff time.
How much time does it take for them to purge any kind of name base you want them to purge with all your super good filtering ideas?
versus doing absolutely nothing more than what they have already done.
It is their free time bro. Give them an easy solution:

a) do nothing more than what you have already done to protect blue99 toons' reputation, incl. the tiny flaws in the plan. thanks for thinking about something btw!
b) do nothing more than what a completely new server would do: all names available, good luck have fun. thanks for the new server btw!

if you had a tiny bit of respect for the staff you would be super okay with either.
you're asking people to work for you for free Brent.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:23 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilstoniakrath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It has nothing to do with your forum account. In their announcement, they stated that you can use your name on Blue on Green IF you use the same login account. So the number of accounts you will have to log on to will not change, if you decide to recreate characters on Green with the same names you have on Blue.
No i mean the eqemu account not forum. And i have names spread across 3 accounts. my question is will be able to take a name from all 3 and put them on one account on green. if not that is retarded.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:36 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No i mean the eqemu account not forum. And i have names spread across 3 accounts. my question is will be able to take a name from all 3 and put them on one account on green. if not that is retarded.
The way it was worded, you cannot move the name from one account to another. Not sure they have a way of knowing that you "own" that other account, or have the desire to do that extra legwork, even if they do have a way
Old 09-22-2019, 02:11 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilstoniakrath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The way it was worded, you cannot move the name from one account to another. Not sure they have a way of knowing that you "own" that other account, or have the desire to do that extra legwork, even if they do have a way
Yah this is what i am worried about. When i joined p99 you had to make an account with EQEMU then you could log into the game. But with that account you were allowed to have 3 accounts per eqemu account(seems to me that this could a way for them to see that we own names across 3 diff accounts)( not to mention when i made characters on these different accounts i didnt know it would impact my naming abilities on a server however many years in the future.). Considering that we are on year 10 of a 3(ish) year timeline it isnt hard to see that me and many others have WAAAYYYY more characters and accounts than we would have on a recycle server. BUUUTTTT, with this naming set up i have to continue to use 3 accounts to use the names that i "Own". They really do need to rethink this naming rule thing. It seems that there are plenty of ways to accomplish what they want without all the downsides.

Personally, it is a new server and names should be up for grabs. and if you dont care enough to be there day one to get yours then you dont care. I dont see the problem with that. Yes there are special cases but that is far from the norm. There are too many accounts that have been inactive for 1+ years for it to be ok to save their names. they arent playing. they dont matter. it isnt difficult to get. Dont reward people who arent playing and punish people who are. come on.

/rant over i guess. This is just a really shitty situation. I have been so excited about green but this is so dumb. from top to bottom this isnt a smart move.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoya [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks Daud, for a second here Loramin erased me from existence lol.
My apologies Nagoya, I did not mean to "erase you from existence", I just got caught up in talking to Daud and forgot you had chimed in.

Now that there are a whole two of you who sincerely believe that having names sit unused for(literally) years at a time > people actually using them to play a game ... I guess I can't use the word "freak" anymore (which, to be clear Daud, was meant in the "freak storm" sense, not the "you're a freak for your beliefs" sense ... because I previously believed you to be a lone outlier ... not as name calling).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoya [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Loramin there is one thing that you put absolutely no value in, and it is staff time.
How much time does it take for them to purge any kind of name base you want them to purge with all your super good filtering ideas?
versus doing absolutely nothing more than what they have already done.
It is their free time bro. Give them an easy solution:

a) do nothing more than what you have already done to protect blue99 toons' reputation, incl. the tiny flaws in the plan. thanks for thinking about something btw!
b) do nothing more than what a completely new server would do: all names available, good luck have fun. thanks for the new server btw!

if you had a tiny bit of respect for the staff you would be super okay with either.
you're asking people to work for you for free Brent.
Ok first off, I'm pretty sure someone reported that the staff said they were going to do a wipe, so you're literally arguing that the thing they're saying they're going to do is too hard for them to do.

But also ... I'm a programmer. Databases, whether on precision medicine web applications, or in 20-year old elf simulators, work the same way. If you can write a SQL query (and I'm 99.9% certain P99 uses a SQL database and not some fancy new NoSQL one like Mongo) to identify the records you want to get rid of, then that plus one second to execute it is all the time it takes.

Now of course I'm oversimplifying a little, and obviously no one on the staff is going to run any kind of mass-character-altering query without spending some time double-checking their work first ... but the point is, unless you get super complex in how you identify unplayed characters, the tech of performing this clean-up is not difficult.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:14 PM
Fire Giant

not difficult != zero value

you're lying to yourself mate.
you want people to work for you for free, admit it.
stop asking for stuff and enjoy the show [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-22-2019, 06:24 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My apologies Nagoya, I did not mean to "erase you from existence", I just got caught up in talking to Daud and forgot you had chimed in.

Now that there are a whole two of you who sincerely believe that having names sit unused for(literally) years at a time > people actually using them to play a game ... I guess I can't use the word "freak" anymore (which, to be clear Daud, was meant in the "freak storm" sense, not the "you're a freak for your beliefs" sense ... because I previously believed you to be a lone outlier ... not as name calling).
Yeah, ok.

Anyways, I really, really don't like calling out a bunch of posters by name and playing the quote game since I don't entirely speak for them, maybe there's more to their opinion than what they wrote. I am not going to debate these people's words for them, if they want to clarify further then can. But I will point this out: there are lots of people who recognize that there are people against this, because most others at least using words like "compromise" and "debate" in their posts before I showed up. In contrast, you seem to be the only one actually trying to claim (now almost) complete consensus. And let's not forget the only way you want to claim that there are very few people against it based on comments:

You just don't count the poll in a poll thread. I'm not going to let that go because that's a shitty thing to do, and here's why.

1. OP didn't make it clear that your opinion in the poll wasn't gonna count for anything if they didn't post. Applying that standard, solely against people you disagree with, absolutely reeks of bias. I simply cannot understand someone as logical as you doesn't just immediately see this.

2. The poll had 2 options:

a. Things stay the same. What else is there to talk about? Why does anyone need to do anything more than vote? It's pretty simple and straightforward. I don't blame people not wanting to dive into this trainwreck just to have to have people keep defending a simple opinion ad nauseam to people.

b. In favor of some kind of rename or delete. This is something you an actually discuss, if you're open to renaming/deleting, you can post what levels you think, naked, account age, last login, playtime, etc etc, so of course there is going to be more discussion about it.

I don't like the way OP worded the poll or the post, but I'm not going to just throw away all those opinions because you, what, think they're all trolls? Because no one besides me and a couple other people are willing to write multiple paragraphs and posts exhaustively explaining over and over and over in every single detailed possible way when it was never more complex than "I don't think there's a problem getting names and I don't like taking things away from people based on a feeling so I'm against it"? God damn, dude, I just gave an opinion and it's like defending a fuckin PHD thesis with you.
Closed Thread