Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 07:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think a lot of people don't know yet that when you root a mob, it will attack whoever is closest to it. When I see a mob in camp not attacking the tank, I root it and watch the melees. Often, they don't even move in response. I'm appalled.
I'm appalled it pisses me the Bleep off. How many years have people not figured this shit out and instantly react.

Tank sits there like they're semi afk and the other melee move around dumb founded that it's attacking them.
Meanwhile i'm screaming at my monitor.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:26 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm appalled it pisses me the Bleep off. How many years have people not figured this shit out and instantly react.

Tank sits there like they're semi afk and the other melee move around dumb founded that it's attacking them.
Meanwhile i'm screaming at my monitor.
I think when rogues / monks are moving out of melee range and back onto the rooted mobs toes they aren't (always) being stupid, they are trying to demonstrate to the tank how rooted mobs behave.

I've also noticed SKs are the worst for not noticing root. They lose aggro for any reason they just dump their mana into spamming out their main aggro spells until root fades, disease clouds nuke component breaks root or the other melees back all the way out to max melee.

I don't think i've ever seen a sk move forward, and if i am honest i bet i don't when i play mine.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:47 AM
Planar Protector

To be fair, it wouldn't feel very classic if we didn't have bad players to bitch about.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:38 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've also noticed SKs are the worst for not noticing root. They lose aggro for any reason they just dump their mana into spamming out their main aggro spells until root fades, disease clouds nuke component breaks root or the other melees back all the way out to max melee.
As a big race you always think you’re closer than you actually are. I’d prefer the short rogues, rangers and monks backed up a little rather than make the ogre stand on top of the mob. It’s a bit of a tightrope where you’re assessing the situation and building hate on the next target, and making sure the current target doesn’t flip direction.. Because inevitably the rogue too lazy to back up will complain when they hit their button and don’t get big numbers on their backstab.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:23 AM
Planar Protector

On live I thought distance decreased your aggro. Guilds often (in my experience) dependent on the target would ask all non-MA melee keep this gap and the tank would snuggle up close. Pretty sure that was all bunk but I never had issues with prox aggro when a mob was rooted in groups since this logic was hard-wired.

Fast forward to now I have a prox aggro /g hotkey I mash on named mobs when I root them (every time). People still just sit there and get destroyed. Warriors stand way back and struggle to take the hits. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Snaggles; 10-18-2019 at 11:26 AM..
Old 10-18-2019, 11:37 AM
Planar Protector

Distance is meant for controlling your push, not aggro.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:17 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To be fair, it wouldn't feel very classic if we didn't have bad players to bitch about.
I will fill that immersion for my groups [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-23-2019, 08:12 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some people will drop some jaws and others will create painful facepalms...
Such a true statement!
Old 10-24-2019, 04:44 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I think this whole idea about warriors = bad is unfounded on green.

1. Pets don't aggro over PCs
2. Warriors will be competing with other melees in non-twink ERA gear (warrior should win with higher STR, ATK, and possibly Pull aggro).
3. Tash/Slow is an issue but not really needed until 40+ - smart groups will make use of a damage shield and let a shaman/enc dps with their mana instead.
4. DD spells should not be a problem if the spell caster is casting at an appropriate time.
5. Heal aggro will happen and is not a big deal - Clerics have the highest AC factor of any spellcaster, Shamans are sturdy, druids will be soloing/duoing. All healers can cast root the moment they have aggro.
6. Warriors' dmg mitigation is insane in classic. Best skill caps, best AC, baseline dmg reduction on top of it, largest hp pool for CH.
7. MANA is a major issue for the first half of the leveling game (no clarity) - Knights even with clarity need to med at some point.

Pros of Warriors in a group with a knight tanking:

1. Can tank if needed with a taunt
2. Can fight in low HP and challenge enchanter pets for dps.
3. Can keep a group going if the knight has to leave.
4. Has a lot of strength to carry loot for the cleric/cloth caster/monk.

Most of the Warrior negative hype is coming from the ingrained meta on Blue.
Old 10-25-2019, 03:38 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by eunomios [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
2. Warriors will be competing with other melees in non-twink ERA gear (warrior should win with higher STR, ATK, and possibly Pull aggro).
STR, and ATK have absolutely no effect on aggro generation. It's all about your weapons +dual wield + double attack + haste. That's it for warriors. Even though they will be competing against other melee in classic era gear they still don't have the offensive skill caps that monks and rogues do, not to mention backstab and the specials of monks which will build more aggro than a kick or slam.

So now at this point you're relying on either weapon procs, or your group dropping aggro (which not every class can do).

Aggro weapons like obsidian shard or gnoll hide lariat have shit ratios. SSOY is pretty good for classic but thats at the end of the era. You gotta go 1-40s with shit weapons hoping and praying for good procs and your group to know what they're doing, or going with no procs and hoping your group knows what they're doing. So it's certainly not impossible to have warrior tanks leveling through classic, but its a lot easier with a knight. At 50 with SSOYs and a haste item you can go to town.