Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 10-13-2017, 11:12 AM
Orc

Default Music issue: Notes constantly getting stuck as one continuous note

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I'm using Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth 2.0.0 with the 1mgm.sf2 soundbank file. I'll be running through say Freeport, and the various music starts and stops as I run through the areas that have music playing in them, but randomly the music will start with one note playing non-stop like someone's holding down a key on a keyboard. From then on, any time that song plays, the offending note will play like that, and the only way to fix it is to exit the game completely (don't have to reboot) and load it again. It only affects the song that it happened to - other songs play normally until it happens to them too, but to be honest I don't know if that can even happen multiple times since I always restart the game or shut the music off. Super annoying because I like the game music and I'd rather keep it on.

Is there some setting in the Midi software that's doing this, for anyone who might know? Hopefully someone's familiar with a fix because it happens a LOT (5x in the past hour).
Last edited by frammelpie; 10-13-2017 at 11:16 AM..
Old 10-13-2017, 05:30 PM
Fire Giant

Maybe try a different MIDI synthesizer? I'm not familiar with windows MIDI software, so I can't recommend any.

I thought modern windows versions have a built-in synthesizer. If so, maybe just use that?
Old 10-14-2017, 11:41 AM
Orc

Well Windows has always had native MIDI compatibility but that one basically sucks, I'm not even sure it has a UI and it has had a horrible sounding instrument set for a very long time. Besides it seems to have the same problem.

Coolsoft is pretty much the gold standard (if not maybe the only, not sure) alternative free solution to the built-in compatibility that I know of. This one allows you to import a different set of midi instruments, and the 1mgm.sf2 soundbank is the Soundblaster AWE32 dump that was the MIDI sound set that the music was originally written for. It makes the game sound like it would have if you had that soundcard. Tbh if the solution was to switch away from that then I'd rather just deal with the problem, but there are a few settings in Coolsoft that have to do with note synchronization that I'm not familiar with and I get a feeling if some of them are adjusted a certain way it might resolve. But, you can also end up breaking it if you adjust those and have to set it up again, so was wondering if anyone knew about those settings before I go poking at it with a stick.
Last edited by frammelpie; 10-14-2017 at 11:46 AM..
Old 05-08-2019, 04:13 AM
Orc

Bump - still happening today, usually within 5 minutes of playing =S Anyone got a solution yet?