Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 02:07 PM
Orc

Default Paladin 2hand or 1h with shield?

I have a young pally (Level 10) and acquired "A Mithril Two-handed Sword" but I am wondering is it best for a pally to use something like that or a 1-hander and shield? I want to hold aggro well and be the best tank I can.

Thanks in advance for any insight on this.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:16 PM
Orc

After level 20 that sword is going to be pretty boss. That haste is great and you'll be able to get the most out of the 21 damage. But because damage is capped until 20, that sword might as well be 14 damage, 40 delay.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great sword and the haste is awesome, but you're not getting the most out of it yet.

As far as holding aggro, now that you have Flash of Light, that's all you need.
When tanking for a group, just hit your target with that spell and they will hate you quite a bit.

Whenever I'm tanking for a group, I use a sword and shield because I like to be able to interrupt spell casting with shield bash, and the stun is nice too. The less time an enemy has to hit you, the better. Plus, shields give more AC and obviously that's going to make you tankier.

When I'm soloing I go 2H with my Baton of Faith all the way.

I'm only level 22 but this is what I've learned so far. More professional opinions are welcome!
Old 06-22-2017, 02:58 PM
Orc

Outstanding. I'm wondering if I should have gotten a better 1 hand slash or blunt instead and used a shield..

Thanks tho!
Old 06-22-2017, 03:11 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by janton1015 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm wondering if I should have gotten a better 1 hand slash or blunt instead and used a shield..
I like having the option to switch between 1h/shield and 2h personally, and you've got the 2H covered.

My personal vote for affordable starting Sword n Shield is:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Green_Jade_Broadsword - about 100pp
and
https://wiki.project1999.com/Cracked_Darkwood_Shield - about 75pp

You can snag those for cheap and they'll last you a good while!
Old 06-22-2017, 04:14 PM
Orc

I actually have the Green Jade Broadsword (on my ranger - need to transfer) and that shield. I guess I should switch out and work the skills up for both.

I am practicing using Flash of Light to keep agro. My last group I had a hard time pulling off the enchanter but it was after she casted something on them so I'm guessing whatever it was, it created huge agro on her.

Thanks all!
Old 06-22-2017, 06:57 PM
Sarnak

Shield is mostly for groups, but after lvl 30 2 handers are more DPS generally. Until you get some crazy 1 hander from say NTOV.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by janton1015 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My last group I had a hard time pulling off the enchanter but it was after she casted something on them so I'm guessing whatever it was, it created huge agro on her.

Thanks all!
Any time an enchanter gets aggro I like to throw a stun before moving to the mob and then casting the FoL. The FoL is probably plenty of aggro, but the stun will stop the mob in its tracks rather than the risk that it might be out of range from you and either flee or continue to target the Enchanter. Runes can be expensive in both plat and mana, and while those resources aren't really an issue for an Enchanter, it's always nice to not have to cast too many extra.

In your case, sounds like she slowed the mob.

Side note: you should be trying to cast a stun on any charm break as well, but do not FoL these, as they will likely be out of range from you and attempt to flee. keep your eyes open and your tab target ready.

edit: cracked darkwood is great but for a paladin I recommend a Charred Guardian Shield http://wiki.project1999.com/Charred_Guardian_Shield or Crystal Chitin Shield. http://wiki.project1999.com/Crystal_Chitin_Shield (should be similar price)
Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 06-22-2017 at 07:57 PM..
Old 06-22-2017, 08:02 PM
Orc

Thanks Doctor Jeff

I actually do have the Charred Guardian Shield. I got the name confused.

I will start learning to use stun and FoL better. I think I need to also cam out to an overhead view to better see all things happening.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Any time an enchanter gets aggro I like to throw a stun before moving to the mob and then casting the FoL. The FoL is probably plenty of aggro, but the stun will stop the mob in its tracks rather than the risk that it might be out of range from you and either flee or continue to target the Enchanter. Runes can be expensive in both plat and mana, and while those resources aren't really an issue for an Enchanter, it's always nice to not have to cast too many extra.

In your case, sounds like she slowed the mob.

Side note: you should be trying to cast a stun on any charm break as well, but do not FoL these, as they will likely be out of range from you and attempt to flee. keep your eyes open and your tab target ready.

edit: cracked darkwood is great but for a paladin I recommend a Charred Guardian Shield http://wiki.project1999.com/Charred_Guardian_Shield or Crystal Chitin Shield. http://wiki.project1999.com/Crystal_Chitin_Shield (should be similar price)
I don't always look for epic tips and information about pallies on the forums, but when I do I read Dr. Jeff's posts first.

Thanks for the tips Dr. Jeff, you always give great input and advice!
Old 09-16-2017, 12:16 AM
Fire Giant

that being said, Stun is lvl 30 for paladins and OP was clearly not lvl 30 ^^/

but because posting only to bitch is weak, i'll add this:

between 22 and 30 (stun), use root if you have to to "get aggro" and protect your chanter/cleric/etc.
root doesn't generate a lot of aggro per se, but it becomes proximity based so you can just hug the mob harder than other groupmates and tada, king of tanks.

until lvl 21, just go near the mob and smash your buttons (taunt, bash, FoL, etc.), this is the only thing you can do /o/
Closed Thread