Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 07:47 AM
Aviak

Default A young'un playing Everquest for the first time

Hey everyone!
I love hearing stories people have about old mmos and how they've been immersed in the game and the fond memories they have of them. That brought me to vanilla WoW, which I played for the last 2 years and have really enjoyed the journey. However, because the pserver scene for old-school WoW is pretty stagnant, I've continued my venture into the past. One mmo I've constantly heard people praise over the years has been old school EQ. Since I was very young when it first launched(I'm 19), I didn't get to experience Everquest because I didn't even have a computer at the time. Because of that I've decided to give the game a shot, and after looking for good private servers i stumbled upon Project 1999, and loved the idea of playing EQ in the era before mounts and quick transportation around the world. I really like the element of community in mmos and that's something I hope to see here.
Anyway, I'm really excited to jump in the world, I've created my first character, Lulo, the dwarf rogue and I hope to see some of you in-game!
Old 10-12-2017, 10:00 AM
Aviak

Hey Lulo, you asked me to group last night. Right as I died a 2nd time, and didn't want to run back to my corpse lol.

I was around back for EQ, but I never did get into the game. I was a big Ultima Online player, then moved onto Star Wars Galaxies. I did buy EQ, it might have been titanium. But I didn't know anyone or what I was doing, and I felt the game was dated at the time.
I enjoyed my time in other mmo's, but I do wish I could experience EQ at it's height. I knew a guy in my circle of friends back then, who played EQ. All I ever saw him do was sit in the tunnel and buy and sell stuff, he played a merchant it's what he enjoyed lol.

I also tried vanilla WoW, Elysium servers. Lot of people when I started, no clue what the population is like now. But after playing WoW for 6+ years, I quickly found myself not wanting to play even vanilla. Which to be honest I didn't think vanilla was that great, more a fan of BC and beyond.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:01 AM
Planar Protector

Awesome... Welcome to the server and welcome to Everquest. I really hope you enjoy your time playing the game.

You picked my favorite class, Rogues are great fun and as a pretty much group dependent class you will really get the full experience of being EQ being a social game. Dwarves also make great Rogues.

The Project 1999 Wiki is going to be your best place for information and I think you will find the in game community very nice and willing to help.

Gotta respect a guy that wants to play without mounts and glittery trails.

Cloke
Old 10-12-2017, 12:16 PM
Banned

I cant imagine jumping into EQ with no nostalgia holding me here. Compared to modern MMOs P99 is borderline unplayable because of the sh!tty UI and lack of explaining anything. All I will say is if you can fight the good fight and make it to about level 20 the game gets a lot better. The lower levels are kind of boring and honestly classes don't get defined until 20+. Just know lower levels in EQ are brutal and grindy and it does get better.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:20 PM
Planar Protector

Welcome to the game, Lulo!

Don't be afraid to talk to people and ask questions!
Old 10-12-2017, 03:58 PM
Banned

Also don't forget to visit your class trainer because skills do not automatically 'unlock' as you level. IE you must train double attack, backstab, ect
Old 10-12-2017, 04:22 PM
Kobold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGhrQ3-xZSc
Old 10-12-2017, 06:13 PM
Kobold

Turn in your Tome of Order and Discord to the Priest of Discord and don a sleek and sexy red name! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by AkashicRecord; 10-12-2017 at 06:21 PM..
Old 10-14-2017, 02:52 PM
Aviak

Welcome back!
Old 10-15-2017, 12:19 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder73 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I cant imagine jumping into EQ with no nostalgia holding me here.
We all did it once, didn’t we?

Perhaps he is one of us..
Closed Thread