Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 11:49 AM
Planar Protector

Just finished this:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Would not recommend as reading this book will lead to physical violence the next time some whiny bitch makes a play for your time.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:22 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrombosis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have you read the Thorns trilogy by the same author? Book 1 Prince of Thorns was one of the best reads I'd had in a long time but others have told me they didn't like it.
I have not but it's certainly on my radar.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:31 PM
Aviak

Going back to 2018 a couple standouts for me:

The Licanius Trilogy by James Islington. He's a big Wheel of Time fan and this is basically his homage.

Also Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames. It's like D&D meets heavy metal. Groups of mercenaries form "bands" and go "on tour" around the world slaying monsters in order to become rich and famous. It was unique.

Old 11-16-2019, 04:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulz Sect [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
a smidgen less boring than Sun Tzu
So I wasn't the only one. I was so underwhelmed when I got around to reading "The Art of War". It reads like a self-help book of vague dictums: Attack your enemy where he is weak. No shit?! I get that this is true and you're supposed to then get all galaxy brained and assess the situation to apply this advanced strategerie but if I had the innate intelligence and ability to do that in every confrontation, I wouldn't need Boomer Tzu's advice on performing the obvious.

Also reading "Life on the Mississippi" by Twain.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:42 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by getlostgreg [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

-Sea of Rust. It was about robots living in a post-human world. It makes you wonder what it really means to be a living being.

-Book of the Ancestor trilogy. It takes place in an ancient galaxy where all the stars are dying. One planet has an artificial moon that slows the ice from swallowing up the equator. The main character is a girl sold by her mother into slavery. She eventually finds herself in a convent where she becomes a magical assassin nun.
HMmmm will add these to the ole trusty kindle!

I really really like reading stuff like this, I just finished the spin trilogy and it was ok, the end was actually very good and for me made the series better.

Also seeing some other nice books in the thread will keep adding them to my library!

So many good books! SO LITTLE TIMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I must confess something, I think I am reading more now with the kindle than with regular books.

I used to have a ton of novels back in the day but found sadly, that due to me moving so much after my exile it is much easier to have stuff on digital , much easier to carry around!!! Also due to my failing eyesight the kindle suits me better, plus the weight and the backlight make it a bliss for me to read at night.

Very nice recommendations here so far, I also want to share something that is a bit niche, but I SEVERELY enjoyed it , it is a small history, in 2 books, known as the Gravedigger Chronicles

Very few people I have talked about even know of it, it is lost amidst the myriad fantasy, sci fi novels out there, but I always tell people to read it, for me it was like a dream travel, perhaps others might enjoy it ... or not.

Give it a small reading see if it hooks you, I just found the whole universe lore quite compelling for such an obscure novel:

and book 2

The ending was abrupt but within the narrative of weirdness.

And also on the issue of Wheel of Time, I once tried to read it , but I never made it past a few chapters, so kudos to anyone that has managed to read it for so long. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Wheel, of Time and Malazan have been for me not quite as compelling to me as to others, perhaps it is the way the author writes?

Thanks for your input, I will definitely be adding new stuff to my little trusty device

Much love as usual to everyone from the lonely Isthmus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
----------------------------------
[center]
Old 11-17-2019, 09:07 PM
Fire Giant

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by getlostgreg [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

-Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames. It's like D&D meets heavy metal. Groups of mercenaries form "bands" and go "on tour" around the world slaying monsters in order to become rich and famous. It was unique.

Ohhhhh will look out for this one!

I totally loved the Gotrek and Felix series, is it like that? Love mercenary style bands of adventurers rampaging across the world for loot, women, booze and fun, saving the world is a bonus haha.

So much stuff, so little time to read!
----------------------------------
[center]
Old 11-18-2019, 03:59 AM
Planar Protector

Oh you need to listen to Realmslayer.

Brian Blessed is Gotrek. The dude punched out a polarbear IRL.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:10 PM
Aviak

I haven't read anything recently. I think the last new book I read was Oathbreaker. Eagerly awaiting the next Mistborn book. I mostly wanted to comment to say that I love Old Man's War, but so far none of the other books in the series can hold a candle to it
Old 11-20-2019, 04:11 PM
Planar Protector

Going through Arthur c Clarke then gonna re-read dune
Old 11-20-2019, 05:00 PM
Kobold

The Machiavellians
Defenders of Freedom
Closed Thread