Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 04:08 PM
Planar Protector

go for a 07-10 Corolla S. Can probably get a decent milage used one for 15k or less. Reliable cars. ive put 60k on my 07 corolla for work and other then getting regular oil changes hasnt required anything other then a PCM but that was a recall part.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Banned

ugly boring slow no storage not luxurious
Old 03-09-2013, 10:01 PM
Aviak

Here's the most solid piece of advice you'll get:

Don't buy from a dealership. I never will.

I got my first and only car that I bought myself from an auction. You'll need to find someone who can make good recommendations for you and also purchase the car. Every car gets bid and won off the line, you don't get to test drive it, so you need someone competent inspecting each potential bid as it comes down the line.

I got a couple recommendations from my guy, and went to dealerships to test drive and figure out what we wanted to bid on. This was back in early '09, I ended up going with a Pontiac G6. I test drove a few '07 G6s with 50-70k miles, and the salesmen at dealerships were offering them at 18-19 grand, and to finance me a loan at around 14%.

I got an '08 G6 (exactly 35k miles) off the auction line for 10 grand flat, got my own loan at 3%, had to pay my guy $500 for his services, after everything was said and done I paid exactly $12,202 (10 for the car, 500 to the guy, then taxes, tag, and title) not including the 3% interest for two years. I would've been looking at over 20 if I had gone through dealership for the same model, but a year older and with double the miles. Not to mention how much more a 14% loan would cost than a 3%.

Also, I got to actually go to the auction with my guy, under the pretense that it was my first day working for him if anyone asked (not supposed to be at auctions unless you're licensed for it or working for someone who is). You'll never see a place like it, people of literally every single ethnicity are milling about, and every one of them sports greased back hair and a bluetooth in the ear.

We watched one G6 come down the line, and when we checked it out it smelled just terrible. Ended up going for 7 grandish to some guy who was bidding on a TV screen through the internet. He probably thought he was getting a sweet deal at the time. My guy told me, "that's why you don't bid through the internet."

EDIT: My guy gave me a great recommendation too, the insurance is dirt cheap for full coverage (and you have to have full coverage if you're financing it), it's up to almost 90k miles and I haven't had to pay for anything but oil changes thus far. I even took it in recently to get the brakes checked, cuz I always fuck that up and end up having to pay for rotors too. Surprisingly, the brakes are still fine, though I'll end up paying for rotors anyway when the pads wear because apparently they're rusty. Oh yeah, one taillight finally burned out when I was driving to see family back @ thanksgiving (spend <$2 at an auto supply store, and <2 mins out in the parking lot and that shit is fixed).

DOUBLE EDIT: Be patient. My guy asked for a list of things I wanted in the car, down to color and some pretty minute details. I got everything I asked for except a sunroof, and fuck a sunroof for the deal I got imo. Don't go yellow or red, those cars get pulled over more than anything else (flashy, attract attention).
Last edited by Avon Barksdale; 03-09-2013 at 10:19 PM..
Old 03-09-2013, 10:07 PM
Banned

if still live with parents, buy carolla, spent 5 grand, save 10 grand, buy drugs and hookers to fill said car.

win at life.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemons [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if still live with parents, buy drugs and hookers

win at life.
FIXD
Old 03-10-2013, 12:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemons [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if still live with parents, buy carolla, spent 5 grand, save 10 grand, buy drugs and hookers to fill said car.

win at life.
are you fucking stupid
Old 03-10-2013, 12:29 AM
Banned

how many times i gotta say I DONT GET TO KEEP EXTRA MONEY BC IS NOT COMING FRMO MY BANK ACCOUNT

you fucking morons
Old 03-10-2013, 02:38 AM
Aviak

So go to an auction and get a 30k car for your 15k.

Also, don't post a thread asking for help and then rage so hard at people, rofl.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:39 AM
Aviak

Especially when you're asking for help spending your parents money on a car, you spoiled twat.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:51 AM
Banned

someone sounds jealous
Closed Thread