Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 02:15 PM
Fire Giant

Do they not have memes on Phinny? Seems kinda sad.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd compare it more to a slot machine than to a job. There's no guarantee that a certain piece of loot will ever drop for the life of the server for anyone, let alone guild X if the RNG gods don't favor you. A great part of the problem is due to trying to pay everyone with slot machine payoffs; payoffs that can't be divided evenly.
So if you agree that variance is bad, why increase it?
Old 12-05-2016, 02:36 PM
Banned

Every time I read Ravager's post rambling on about how /random is a legitimate loot system for raiding I have this reaction

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-05-2016, 03:02 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, it'll remain a matter of philosophy unless raw numbers can be produced showing the outcomes of both systems over, say, a year's time, but the cost of gathering that information in terms of time and effort is more than I want to pay, and you probably don't care to pay it either.
Yeah not gonna lie, I would totally spend a weekend or two writing up this analysis if a bunch of guilds dumped their multi-year DKP database and well-kept attendance and roster and turnover records on me, so long as I didn't need to do any data cleaning at all :P A man can dream though, a man can dream.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:02 PM
Planar Protector

But then, maybe he just has emotional scars from BDA's loot council (to get this thread back on track)
Old 12-05-2016, 03:07 PM
Planar Protector

Random is good if you are an officer who doesn't want to deal with loot QQs.

Because of all the systems, assuming you know the system going into the guild, if you accepted being in a randoming guild, you really can't QQ at the officers about it.

DKP you can complain about the tiers, the restrictions on what class can bid or lackthereof, the minimums, the maximums, if you're in some really dumb system that awards at fixed price, the prices, etc.

Loot Council you always will have QQ about something.

Random is bad other than that. Its a great starting point for a guild, until they start raiding more and the people who contribute separate themselves out from the pack, at which point you move to a better loot distribution system that values contribution/attendance/not sucking.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:09 PM
Kobold

the real problem with /random that i don't believe is addressed in this thread is people will simply not go to raids/mobs that don't have loot for them and decrease your numbers. Mob X doesn't drop any shaman loot? guess it's not going to be getting slowed this raid.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:13 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by snead [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the real problem with /random that i don't believe is addressed in this thread is people will simply not go to raids/mobs that don't have loot for them and decrease your numbers. Mob X doesn't drop any shaman loot? guess it's not going to be getting slowed this raid.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-05-2016, 05:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So if you agree that variance is bad, why increase it?
Did I say it was bad? It's the reason people come back to this game, the same as a slot machine. If a slot machine just paid off 99 cents to every dollar you put in on every pull, who would play them? In fact, somewhere in one of my posts back a few pages I said /random would do more to keep people attending than DKP.

Anyway, this whole talk started because I said minimum DKP bids or the loot rots was a stupid way of doing things and abusive to the members who spent their time getting that loot to drop and that it should go to /random before it rots. I stand by that.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snead [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can confirm I wouldn't show up for anything that didn't drop loot I wanted if my guild was strictly /random

Yet another reason (among the many) that random is retarded
Closed Thread