Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 02-21-2021, 06:28 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Game freezes after login

Have a new PC since the last time I played and working with a fresh install. Everytime I load up and login as soon as I'm into game within 5-10 seconds the game freezes. I can still input commands to move/cast etc but the screen stays frozen. Have tried running in compatibility mode and reinstalling and not sure what to try next. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Heres a video of what im experiencing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY200f_gx3o
Old 02-23-2021, 06:12 AM
Aviak

i know this problem too ... i have it on both of my comuters here.

i dont know exact how this happens but normaly i can play without a freeze of the gamescreen.

if the game is started (window-mode , windowsize = desktopsize )
i look out not to touch the game window at any cost ... no minimizing or something.

if i change to another program i always use alt + tab ...

ok ... perhaps this will not help you ... but you know now others have the same problem form times to times .. you are not allone [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-23-2021, 06:30 AM
Decaying Skeleton

While waiting for 2 days for my forum account to be approved so my post is actually visible I resolved the issue.

Feel free to lock/delete this.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:36 AM
Aviak

this freeze problem will pop up 100% on my computers if i start my Password-Safe-Program (KeePass) while Everquest is running at the same time.

KeePass ask for this masterpassword and the windows desktop will get darker and go in this savemode. dont know how this mode is called normally .

but after this has happen EQ is freeze , but i still can log out blind , because only the screen ist freeze not the program in all .. wired ....

dont know ... i would try to end all other programs which are running on you new pc and check if one causes this eq-fault.

good luck [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

i forgot .... then my screensaver-program starts eq is also frozen after
Last edited by void221; 02-23-2021 at 09:02 AM..
Old 02-23-2021, 08:53 AM
Fire Giant

Try pressing alt enter when the game is frozen
Old 02-23-2021, 11:44 AM
Sarnak

It's possible you have some windows fuckery going on. I have ranom flare ups of 100% game lockups that are due to windows deciding to do some shady shit and use up 100% of my hardrives resources. Strangely it's not even using 100% of my hardrives power but still he task manager says 100% and locks up the game
Old 02-23-2021, 03:42 PM
Aviak

void221's freeze is caused by any program or installation that has a UAC prompt.

The fix:

Control Panel > Security and Maintenance > Change User Account Control Settings > Change to second lowest "Notify me only when apps try to make changes to my computer (do not dim my desktop)"

OP's issue is a bit harder to diagnose because I've only had it happen a few times and it seemed to come and go. It seemed like the coming and going coincided with nvidia geforce/driver updates.

Given the above and the fact that an nvidia service was the cause of the FPS drops and mouse look lag I was experiencing for the longest time, I'm thinking maybe an nvidia service could also be the culprit behind this freezing issue.

I would suggest you try setting all nvidia services to manual or disabled and then stopping them and see if it helps.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:12 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimgor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
void221's freeze is caused by any program or installation that has a UAC prompt.

The fix:

Control Panel > Security and Maintenance > Change User Account Control Settings > Change to second lowest "Notify me only when apps try to make changes to my computer (do not dim my desktop)"

thanks for this tip. but it isnt so easy as it seems ... when my screensaver was running EQ is freeze ... if i turn out my TV , EQ is freeze after i turn it on.

but on the bottomline i have no problems with that because i can avoid all the things.

but ihartcheese can only "play" 20 secounds and then this freezing problem pops up.
i would be really interested why this happens.