Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 06:25 PM
Banned

Beyond Green 2.0 details, my highest curiosity currently surrounding p99 is what Devs here plan to do with source code at end of project life. Will it be made available to the public somehow or will it evaporate with their will in several years when their interest wanes?

For comparison, TAKP devs plan to release TAKP emu server code as Open Source at a certain point after PoP launches there. Players could see this become available within a couple years given current messaging by devs of that other emu.

The two emu projects have some personnel connections to each other. Haynar specifically has worked on p99 in the past and focuses on TAKP mostly now. The eq emu devs bump elbows with each otherand trade notes at times. They talk.

So a thought experiment:

Say ten years from now, will p99 be on yet another Green server (5.0?) or will the accumulated effort of the devs here so far be made available to players like TAKP devs plans to do?

Curious minds want to know
Old 10-01-2021, 01:03 PM
Planar Protector

I can see no reason why anyone with any authority would be posting a response about this, at this time.

Who developed the currently available eq emu code?
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 10-01-2021, 01:53 PM
Banned

everquest is a horrible game!

why do I play it!

If only people volunteered to make a server so i can play it for free!
Old 10-01-2021, 02:46 PM
Banned

EQ emu started on December 6, 2001 according to this post by a former senior EQ emu dev in 2013 celebrating its 12 year anniversary. It appears a whole gang of devs have worked on it in the intervening years. P99 being the most successful project of the whole lot. Blue launched in Oct 2009.

source: http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37586
Old 10-01-2021, 03:24 PM
Planar Protector

EQEmu was called Ethernalquest and started in earnest in the early months of 2000, off the back of the ShowEQ project. It went through a few iterations before it turned into EQEmu.

ShowEQ was developed in the Fall of 99 and there were zone dumps of mobs starting to be taken in late November '99. I found a sheet of them:

https://github.com/dbsanfte/eq-archi...ster/npc_dumps
Last edited by Dolalin; 10-01-2021 at 03:26 PM..
Old 10-01-2021, 03:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_PVP [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Someone has been digging around gathering Paw information though. Looks to be this Dolalin guy. So there may be hope yet. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Ton of shit on the wiki:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Infected_Paw
Yeah that's me. I've mostly got the zone finished, there are a few tweaks to make to Kurrpok's spawn, that has been the last unknown but I recently found a copy of the Japanese map for the zone and some more zone commentary that firms up what the spawngroup should look like and where he should be.

There will be real, classic, original-as-at-EQ-release Splitpaw available for the P99 devs for the next Green server, whenever it launches.
Old 10-01-2021, 03:33 PM
Banned

I liked the PEQ and TAKP project

i tried out the hidden forest, EZserver, project lazarus, RoS, Imperium server, and a few

others

right now I am enjoying TAKP and PEQ server

but honestly, I will always stay on p99 even though it has a such a horrible community
Old 10-01-2021, 03:39 PM
Banned

I was there for blue launch. Pop was maybe 100 people, with global /ooc and there were tons of bugs. Eventually IB emerged as the uber guild, my old friend and I joined them and I got some pretty fun fear raids in before I quit because I thought the project wouldn't last. There were a LOT of ddos attacks going on at that time, it wasn't uncommon at least once a day you'd lag out and not be able to reconnect because of a ddos. Some nerd was very angry.

12 years later and the devs have made this thing so amazing, and I'm extremely grateful to them for being able to log into classic everquest any time I want. We are too lucky.
Old 10-01-2021, 03:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
even though it has a such a horrible community
In game community is great. Guild chat is great. Discord is great. Raiding has always been a pain that awards those who enjoy that sort of thing.

Great communities exist on p99. You just won't find it here on the forums any longer except for a few gems.

Forums weren't always like they are now. Back in the day there were many more supportive elements posting. Most have moved on to greater pastures.

After many years F2P tends to congregate a different sort of player than a launching server will.

It comes in waves.
Old 10-04-2021, 11:25 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
it has a such a horrible community
You need to either grow thicker skin or acquire proper perspective because the community on P99 is one of the best I've ever seen in my 26 years of gaming. It is one of the big reasons why I keep coming back and stick around.
Last edited by Aisar87; 10-04-2021 at 11:28 PM..
Closed Thread