Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2021, 02:36 PM
Fire Giant

Default Mage feedback post nerf

Calling all high level mages…

With the recent damage nerf - how has it affected you?

My mage is 40 and I enjoy him but won’t lie - the prospect of the 57 earth not hitting for 70 when I get there is sad.

Curious if the change is palpable or not.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:24 AM
Planar Protector

For a long time we had pets that far exceeded EoT. Now we three different flavors of a pet that is relatively on par. Some feel these have lost 12-15% of the dps. That seems right but I haven’t done much parsing since hitting 60.

A focused max level 60 water hits for 62. DD’s for I recall 116 and backstabs for about 180. It’s still quite tanky. That staff is annoying fo get but nowhere as rare as the Necro’s book from Hate.

What do you want to do with the class? It’s raid or group utility role is unchanged. It’s solo ability is pretty similar (fairly limited). It’s ability to farm green cons is still very efficient. It’s ability to do dps in a typical blue-con group/duo/trio setting is still good to amazing depending on your mana usage.
Old 07-06-2021, 03:06 PM
Fire Giant

Thanks for the perspective.

I mostly was looking for a low effort "chill" class to play - one that is arguably the best green farming class in the game. I have a 60 enchanter for high stakes, stress inducing, butt pucker soloing.

Is EoT now on par with Greater Voceration pets? Is farming greens now about a wash between necro/mage?

Thoughts?
Old 07-06-2021, 03:35 PM
Planar Protector

Necro EoT is a warrior class pet with a 48dmg lifetap proc. Fear immunity. Says hits for 61 or 62 focused. In theory hp wise it should be on par with a 57 earth, maybe a bit less. No lifetap on the earth but the root does damage. It's a fair comparison durability wise; the mage pet is like 100p and not 12k.

Farming greens is totally different. With a mage you can fill up a backpack of malachite for 8p. Summon, burnout, DS, pull with like Burst of Flame and let the pet run through it. Rinse and repeat and resummon when the pet gets low health. In general necros keep the pet up and do more casting in general. I expect in practice on very weak stuff the two classes farm about the same with obvious benefit to the necro in anything relatively tough. The mage is pretty easy though. It's a beer in one hand mouse in the other way to play.

I usually use the 59 air pet. The stun locks down mobs a long time. Regardless you can get through about 10-12 goblins with a good summon before you have to do another. By then your mana is usually about full again.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristlebaner [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly, it hasn't.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:21 PM
Fire Giant

I can still do everything I could do before. There is definitely a notable loss of power. The earth pet doesn't kill as fast as before. I have to pay more attention and nuke a bit more in certain situations. I'm not happy about the nerf, but the fact that the pets special abilities go off more often has made the damage nerf a bit more palatable.

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>

Old 07-09-2021, 02:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Necro EoT is a warrior class pet with a 48dmg lifetap proc. Fear immunity. Says hits for 61 or 62 focused. In theory hp wise it should be on par with a 57 earth, maybe a bit less. No lifetap on the earth but the root does damage. It's a fair comparison durability wise; the mage pet is like 100p and not 12k.

Farming greens is totally different. With a mage you can fill up a backpack of malachite for 8p. Summon, burnout, DS, pull with like Burst of Flame and let the pet run through it. Rinse and repeat and resummon when the pet gets low health. In general necros keep the pet up and do more casting in general. I expect in practice on very weak stuff the two classes farm about the same with obvious benefit to the necro in anything relatively tough. The mage is pretty easy though. It's a beer in one hand mouse in the other way to play.

I usually use the 59 air pet. The stun locks down mobs a long time. Regardless you can get through about 10-12 goblins with a good summon before you have to do another. By then your mana is usually about full again.
During soloing, I would be curious on the damage the mobs take from the necro pet when the mob can't riposte or parry. I suspect damage taken is different too... unless we are talking straight face tanking.
Old 07-09-2021, 03:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
During soloing, I would be curious on the damage the mobs take from the necro pet when the mob can't riposte or parry. I suspect damage taken is different too... unless we are talking straight face tanking.
Oh the necro is a better overall package. Not even a question. Brute forcing with a pet and DS is pretty decent though and its what a mage has.

Really just filling a backpack with malachite at a vendor is a great perk, that and the overall simplicity if you not feeling like much of an active game. Totally changes how precious you treat that pet. A min spec pet can be recycled until you get a good one or treated as expendible. With a necro you have to consider that eventually more pets means sitting in a zone sourcing bone chips or buying them from the tunnel.
Old 07-10-2021, 01:40 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristlebaner [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Calling all high level mages…

My mage is 40 and I enjoy him but won’t lie - the prospect of the 57 earth not hitting for 70 when I get there is sad.

Curious if the change is palpable or not.
Lots of blues (wurms and any blue con in BW, kedge seahorses & mermaids, geonids, imps, LDC & protectors in SolB I was able to solo with focused air pet/ earth pet are now are much tougher. 57+ pets lost about 15% of their damage output. This means that I have to use a lot more mana just to be sure my pet will survive and I won't have to channel a second summoned pet when the first one dies

Yeah not much 😏
Old 08-06-2021, 03:54 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaarsuvius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lots of blues (wurms and any blue con in BW, kedge seahorses & mermaids, geonids, imps, LDC & protectors in SolB I was able to solo with focused air pet/ earth pet are now are much tougher. 57+ pets lost about 15% of their damage output. This means that I have to use a lot more mana just to be sure my pet will survive and I won't have to channel a second summoned pet when the first one dies

Yeah not much 😏
Loramin head of the anti-mage lobby group.

In every thread about mages he is creating doubt about mage claims, downplaying the effects of bugs/nerfs, and never adding anything positive.

Unsure why that is.
Closed Thread