Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 12:23 PM
Planar Protector

Are you actually talking about making a sullon zek server with good neutral and evil?

Player count is not relevant. There hadn't been a NEW pvp server on live everquest for years when Sullon launched, it was a great opportunity to start fresh on a PVP server and everquest was at peak popularity at the time. It makes sense that it got a lot of players. That doesn't speak to the virtue of diety teams at all.

For a non item loot ruleset, I do think that the sullon style unlimited PVP range is the best solution. Its not as good as item loot rallos style but its better than Red 99 or vallon / tallon no loot with limited pvp engagement range.

Sullon was the least balanced server ever by the time Live made "Zek" and "zek" was only made because all the servers were low pop, including sullon zek so they did what they had to. No one was happy about it. For me it didn't matter by then because I had quit and rallos ended when augments came out.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:33 PM
Orc

Merge of Rallos Zek, Sullon Zek, Tallon Zek and Vallon Zek (March 2005)

wanted to make sure we establish the family of Zeks, which became the failed FFA Zek.

Sullon was diety and the first to be ended, it wasnt merged.. it was ended.
The other 3 were merged. One of those was a 2 team server. All had differing rulesets to loot.
sullon was the least balanced you say? in what way? Each side had things the others did not. Thats like saying Wow was unbalanced, and then the crying twats got all the classes on all the teams, destroying a perfectly good game.
Diety is like that game, there is balance in working together and using your teams strengths..
there is no balance in equity, just like in life.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:57 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Player count is not relevant. There hadn't been a NEW pvp server on live everquest for years when Sullon launched, it was a great opportunity to start fresh on a PVP server and everquest was at peak popularity at the time. It makes sense that it got a lot of players. That doesn't speak to the virtue of diety teams at all.
1. pvp player count is lifeblood.. not relevant?
2. Sullon launched after SWG. Also ran by SOE. They knew how popular teams was after making SWG. Sullon launched after Raph Koster made his famous 'dont bring a knife to a gunfight' and nerfed TKM, basically ending SWG pvp. making Sullon king before launch.

Smedley ran both games, and hated brad. Sullon was extremely popular, but DAoC was coming. Smedley in infinite wisdom decides to not compete in mmo pvp and destroys all his pvp servers into 1 FFA Zek, the least popular ruleset. basically giving the genre to his SWG vs the incoming DAoC..which he loses his arse.
not sure if Marc Jacobs paid Smedley to do it either, there is a story.. lol.
Old 07-09-2021, 01:28 PM
Planar Protector

Sullon had evil team win very early. Thats what I mean. I played there too. Good times, but I liked item loot better and in 2005 when the merge happened, I wasn't playing.

It was popular because it was a new opportunity, it got a lot of players. Just like any new red server here will be popular for a while. It isn't an indicator of the best ruleset. It can indicate many different things.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 07-09-2021, 02:44 PM
Orc

I played both og rallos and the loot version, never got far in either was always ganked at the newbie log for hours on end, fun, but yeah, that meme had an actual reality.

went to swg, came back for sullon release after the raph patch. played a newt. You say evil won, but they didnt, I was based in rivervale and the war was in highkeep when the server ended.
People bring up the diety server because of one thing..it never waned in popularity.

unlike every ffa mmo pvp created, which have ended. DAoC the 'sister' game to eq diety is still going. WARHammer would also still be going if they didnt end it.
Old 07-09-2021, 03:55 PM
Planar Protector

The main problem is people don't want to grind out hours of boring content anymore.

Even with teams I bet it's a ghost town, but it would have been the best chance.

EQ is dead. Maybe, just maybe you have pvp at KC a few times a month kunark capped box due to easy access and gear isn't outrageous advantage, doubt it.
Old 07-09-2021, 04:16 PM
Planar Protector

Stasis sometimes I feel the same way, but other people still have time and will to play. I was in college when project 1999 was new and could still find time. With a family and all the other responsibilities that come with being older, I agree that grinding a character to 60 old style while doing pvp battles and hours long corpse retrievals and stuff just may not happen for me.

But we can still hope for a good server for other people to play.

I don't think p99 can support 3 teams Torr, and I understand how you love it, just like everyone who played rallos loves it. Rallos had low level PVP that was fun and engaging like no other server. You just need to get a rogue to level 10 to start winning.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
why do people think teams is really going to help

A zerg guild is going to just flock to the same team.

only way to make the server fun is make it detrimental to zerg stuff.

make mobs scale in difficulty with more people on it
I mean i will come back to the forums just to laugh at the whole thing if they go with teams when it is obvious this will happen. It only takes like 10 no-life nerds to park alts in newb zones, clean the whole fucking zone, log off, wait 30 mins, kill everyone again to destroy the server's population.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by torr071 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Merge of Rallos Zek, Sullon Zek, Tallon Zek and Vallon Zek (March 2005)

wanted to make sure we establish the family of Zeks, which became the failed FFA Zek.

Sullon was diety and the first to be ended, it wasnt merged.. it was ended.
The other 3 were merged. One of those was a 2 team server. All had differing rulesets to loot.
sullon was the least balanced you say? in what way? Each side had things the others did not. Thats like saying Wow was unbalanced, and then the crying twats got all the classes on all the teams, destroying a perfectly good game.
Diety is like that game, there is balance in working together and using your teams strengths..
there is no balance in equity, just like in life.
The problem is the levels of toxicity EQpvp emu attracts. You can put your hand in the fire once the griefers get a char or 2 to 50, they will hang in low level zones and one shot people 24/7 for lulz. You will get a box like red 1.0 in record time, lucky to get a 2 digit pop.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_PVP [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
First we need warm bodies to make a zerg, which is the single biggest problem for PVP servers. No warm bodies.

How do we get warm bodies you ask? We need bluebies. Bluebies aren't completely averse to PVP, however they want "safe zones" that a Teams environment would bring. Give the people what they want. PVP servers don't prosper for very long without fresh meat (bluebies).
This is how red staff was trolled into a hard population bleed. You had people when the server started telling the devs everything was fine with xp loss in pvp either because A) They got a kick out of "griefing people off the server". It was a meme all over the forums.
B) Guilds like Nihilum had all the reasons to say xp loss was fine because they wanted to raid unchallenged and some people like Nizzar were RMTing the loot.

The pop was obviously tanking because of xp loss, yet it took like a year to fix it and by then the damage was done. The devs were either falsely comforted by people who had either one of the interest i noted or didnt give a fuck or a mix of both.

It feels like groundhog's day with people pushing for teams. Its so obvious that once a few griefers reach 50, they will camp low level zones 24/7 and grief the fuck out of either people catching up in levels or people wanting to make alts. That will be your safe zone. Just making people lose xp and making them log off was enough of an incentive to fuel the griefers on red 1.0. Imagine letting them one shot anyone in a zone.

I feel like people pushing for teams are either trolling to get another depopulation fest with red 2.0 or they havent thought out the ramifications of the server ruleset well enough. Like ive repeated this for years and not once, someone replied and told me how the high levels camping low level zones thing would not happen.
Last edited by Tradesonred; 07-09-2021 at 11:10 PM..
Closed Thread