Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2021, 10:58 PM
Kobold

Default What does it even mean to be pro life?

If you truly believe life is sacred?

You should spend all your energy trying to convince those who disagree… that your just swell and they shouldn’t call you bad names.

Yes. Other people’s opinions matter! Even more than… the lives… of kids.

6E08488C-CD2F-46C9-944C-2F387C940554.jpg
Old 09-18-2021, 11:10 PM
Planar Protector

what's up with her face? it doesn't look like something that God would make.

the laura person i mean
Old 09-18-2021, 11:24 PM
Banned

“Why do conservatives who act like they are pro life then make cuts to social safety nets if they care about life”

Policy decisions should be some of the hardest decisions humans have to make in life, because we are dealing with people’s lives

I’m not saying policy making should be devoid of human empathy or compassion, but basing policy strictly around compassion is not the best route to take as well

I know this makes me sound like a serial killer, so I’ll offer a basic (and sort of extreme) example: the lifeboat scenario. You have a lifeboat with a set capacity (analogy for resources), and it’s filling with people with many more still in the ocean. There will eventually come a point where too many people are on the boat and the whole thing sinks. So someone has to decide, and what’s really fucked up, ensure that too many people do not get in the boat. That’s the most fucked up decision to ever have to make, and it’s the most fucked up position to have to watch people die and not be able to help them

But that is sometimes a part of policy making, including with COVID. No covid policy is ever going to be around the goal of preventing all COVID deaths. Death is understood and accepted. The policy should ideally attempt to minimize death while also preventing the entire ship (economy) from going under

Note: I hope people don’t think this that I’m arguing saying cuts to social safety nets are always a good thing. They certainly make my job a lot harder! I’m just expressing why they can still come from people capable of feeling compassion and empathy
Old 09-18-2021, 11:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
example: the lifeboat scenario. You have a lifeboat with a set capacity (analogy for resources)
there is no set capacity
Old 09-18-2021, 11:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale biologist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
there is no set capacity
Yes, just as surely nor is there unlimited capacity. Where the limit is set is always going to be somewhat ambiguous

Also, I know that my analogy can be flipped as a pro-choice argument since abortions are partly due to the perception that adoption centers have limited resources as well

That’s fair. But pro-lifers see a direction connection with a death from abortion far moreso than the indirect connection of a death from a slight cut to a social safety net. For one, these are adults who may not have been born into the easiest life but have had basic rights and opportunities that all Americans get, and may not have made the best choices. Ultimately, we can only do so much to protect people from the results of their choices as adults. Also, while cuts could result in deaths, what also happens is other services begin to take on that need. For example, in every major city there are food banks which give away food donated from grocery stores that is approaching its sticker date. If cuts are made to something such as food stamps, food banks bear the burden of extra demand. It’s not always a “well cuts were made to food stamps so now people are going to starve and die” scenario
Last edited by unsunghero; 09-18-2021 at 11:38 PM..
Old 09-18-2021, 11:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That’s fair. But pro-lifers see a direction connection with a death from abortion far moreso than the indirect connection of a death from a slight cut to a social safety net. For one, these are adults who may not have been born into the easiest life but have had basic rights and opportunities that all Americans get, and may not have made the best choices. Ultimately, we can only do so much to protect people from the results of their choices as adults. Also, while cuts could result in deaths, what also happens is other services begin to take on that need. For example, in every major city there are food banks which give away food donated from grocery stores that is approaching its sticker date. If cuts are made to something such as food stamps, food banks bear the burden of extra demand. It’s not always a “well cuts were made to food stamps so now people are going to starve and die” scenario
TL;DR Republicans are only pro-life if you're a fetus.
Old 09-18-2021, 11:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horza [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
TL;DR Republicans are only pro-life if you're a fetus.
Exactly. They actually celebrate possible deaths from safety net cuts. You’d know this if you came to some of our White Supremacy meetings. They make snuff films out of them
Old 09-18-2021, 11:51 PM
Banned

But in regards to that bombing, yes it’s fucked up. Wasn’t there just an incident where innocent civilians including kids were killed in a drone strike? Is this another one now?
Old 09-18-2021, 11:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
nor is there unlimited capacity.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-18-2021, 11:57 PM
Planar Protector

Default Queen 👑

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread