Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 06:29 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kich867 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It comes from the game Path of Exile (think of it as a spiritual successor to Diablo 2). There are several "leagues", one of which being "Solo Self-Found" (SSF), or "Solo Self-Found Hardcore" (SSFHC).

I'm also not super dogmatic about the principles behind it, just in general to not group for XP and only use gear you found / quested for / crafted.

So things like "100% Solo" or "No Other Player Solo" is slightly misleading to how I play it in EQ--I accept things like Binds and buffs besides thorns so long as it's just someone being nice. If I get the sense they're sort of trying to powerlevel me I ask them to stop, but I think the occasional random buff / assistance from other players is an organic part of EverQuest.

It would simply be too much of a hassle to constantly stop asking people to not buff me or to not intervene in my kills if they think I need help, I just never ask for these things.
Thanks for sharing, I like it. "The more you know..."
Old 05-12-2020, 01:27 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like that you're pioneering a new term here, but I wonder if "Solo Self-Found" describes it best.

What about "True Solo"? "Complete Solo"? "100% Solo"? "Alone Solo"? "No Other Player Solo"? Or does anyone else want to chime in with a suggestion?

"Solo Self-Found" makes it sound like you found Jesus while soloing or something [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You should write a guide how to find Jesus while playing eq
Old 05-12-2020, 01:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by demokatt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You should write a guide how to find Jesus while playing eq
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pras Smedy
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:28 AM
Kobold

Kich, can we expect an SSF Cleric guide soon and how about the 32-35 journey of the Warrior?
Old 05-15-2020, 08:44 AM
Sarnak

in other games the term Ironman is used for a self sufficient player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doil_Boil View Post
If an event happens on the red server, but no one is there to play it, does it still occur?
Old 05-15-2020, 09:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkyle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hrmm. Must be a more recent phenomenon. For the longest time that usually means someone who either deletes their character if they ever died or simply never saves/loads.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:44 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimstrike [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Kich, can we expect an SSF Cleric guide soon and how about the 32-35 journey of the Warrior?
Cleric guide -- Probably in a couple weeks, I'm taking a break this weekend from the Warrior.

Warrior 32-35 will very likely be at KFC hunting Harriers and then Avocets once we're ~34-35 and can more consistently kill them.

Don't have a lot of spare time, was trying to set the wiki page up but it has different formatting than the forums.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:48 PM
Fire Giant

Ding 42!

I can't update the original post and I don't yet have the time to set this up as a wiki, but to recap what we've done since level 31:

Lvl 31-40: South Karana / Splitpaw. The strategy early on is to hunt Rooks / Harriers. Harriers are strong though, so be careful. Once you're 33-34, continue killing rooks and harriers while on a wait-list for the southern Gnoll Spire camp. The southern gnoll spire camp is consistently level 25-26 gnolls, while the northern gnoll spire camp is consistently level 27-28+ gnolls, so take the south one until they green out at 36-37. Kill aviaks while you wait, occasionally check Splitpaw entrance area.

If you can take it, camping even the two spawns right in front of the "Safe-room" in splitpaw is better than holding a spire. The longer spawn times gives you more time to rest between fights and the double-xp from the ZEM ensures that 2 kills at 22 minute spawn timers is similar to getting 4 kills in 22 minutes, which amounts to killing something every 5 1/2 minutes in SK where the spawn timer is 6m 40s. If you can work a third gnoll inside here into your rotation it's even better. At level 36 we held splitpaw entrance solo and got through 80% of the level in like 2 1/2 hours. Not common to get that setup though, its a busy place.

At 37, you should be able to take the north spire camp more easily, or maybe even the mid-camp and hold both kills down, but I'm going to start with the north camp first. Meanwhile, we'll hunt Avocets in KFC for supplementary XP while we wait for a camp.

It's not worth the time to hand in the scrolls and lose the camp, so just hold onto them (I gave my duplicates to people in chat / anyone who wanted one for free). When you decide to turn in for the night, take a brisk walk to Qeynos to hand in and then walk back to SK when you hop back on later.

Lvl 40-42: Guard tower at North Karana - South Karana, killing Westyn and Oysten. If you aren't solo-self found and have real gear, you could also potentially work Frederick into this mix if no one has him. This is one of the fastest xp camps I've ever done, if I were a class that could hold all 3 enemies down I think the hell level is doable in ~7 hours. Level 41 took us 4 hours and 23 minutes.

Split Westyn/Oysten by dragging them to the SK zoneline, learn where it is, then zone just before they get to you. As soon as you finish zoning, immediately run to the NK zoneline. If you have SoW, wait a second or so, then go in. If you don't have SoW, just run straight to zoneline and hop over. It's not guaranteed, but one often moves back slower than the other and you can split them, I successfully did this 3-4 times. If you zone slowly, it may not be feasible, and you may require assistance. Or just get full life, kill one, zone, bandage up, kill second.

Do not fight them on the bridge. I just alternated between the two spawns under the bridge, used a bow to pull them down (they jump right off), drag them a little ways away, and killed them to the sides of the tower.

They spawn every 6 minutes and they are blue until 42.

Some fun facts:
We have used 9701 bandages.

128467 - total hits and misses since 12
97789 - Total hits since 12
3674 - Total critical hits

Assuming crits can only roll on successful hits: 3.75% chance to crit
Old 06-01-2020, 02:39 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkyle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Everquest is nothing like Runescape.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:39 PM
Planar Protector

Congrats on the levels!
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Closed Thread