Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Resolved Issues

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 09:10 AM
Fire Giant

If anyone has been following along - there is a former EQ Dev streaming on Twitch. He has interviewed several old time EQ devs.

When asked about epics, it's clear there was very little oversight. Essentially each epic story line was created by one person, and then given to the programmers to build it. It doesn't seem anyone reviewed the difficulty across the spectrum of classes to balance it.

Long story short, I don't get the impression any epics usefulness or power is weighted against it's difficulty. I fully believe we could have just as easily ended up with a mage epic as common as the rogue or cleric if it had been designed by one of those folks. It just so happens the person who designed the mage epic quest line had a much higher bar for what constitutes epic.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:06 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have both mage and cleric epics so I suppose it makes me qualified to compare them.

Mage epic allows to summon infinite amounts of disposable tanks with 4k hp that quad for 81, nuke and stun, and regen 5% of their HP / tick out of combat. That's 200 hp / tick regeneration rate. (Torpor is 300 / tick as a comparison).

Cleric epic allows to save mana on a spell the cleric can already cast.

One of these two epics is very powerful and game changing (and shall remain rare), while the other is not. Figuring out which is which is left as an exercice to the reader.
Yeah cos level 51 Clerics casting a level 56 spell isnt op lol. Perhaps you overlooked that!
Old 07-19-2020, 07:11 PM
Fire Giant

So did the devs for p99 ever change this? Or do they not care hehe.
45 Dark Elf Wizard - Smurf PVP
41 Enchanter - Jeffery PVP
37 Iksar Monk - Buster PVP
26 Human Ranger - Kenny PVP
RED99
Old 07-20-2020, 01:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So did the devs for p99 ever change this? Or do they not care hehe.
take a wild guess
Old 07-30-2020, 12:40 AM
Developer

With the removal of the fire staff, the earth staff may drop slightly more often.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:36 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
With the removal of the fire staff, the earth staff may drop slightly more often.
Hi Telin, could you please comment on what mob the fire staff was removed from? Are you referring to Magi P`Tasa, Mistress of Scorn, or a forsaken revenant? If it was removed from the revenants, how does this affect the drop rate of the earth staff since it only drops from Magi P'Tasa?

Thank you!
Last edited by circlerogue; 09-19-2020 at 01:39 PM..
Old 10-22-2020, 12:50 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by circlerogue [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hi Telin, could you please comment on what mob the fire staff was removed from? Are you referring to Magi P`Tasa, Mistress of Scorn, or a forsaken revenant? If it was removed from the revenants, how does this affect the drop rate of the earth staff since it only drops from Magi P'Tasa?

Thank you!
^^ this. Bump for visibility. Thanks for your hard work.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:11 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"May" and "slightly" in the same sentence. Oof. We may now be up to a 0.002 drop rate. Rejoice!
Old 11-06-2020, 02:24 PM
Sarnak

Gnomish Greetings!

I see this is removed to resolved issues and we had a patch today. Does this mean the drop rate has been increased to 30% as our research has uncovered? I did not see that note in the implementation notes.

Thank ye kindly!
Old 11-06-2020, 04:07 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

@gwideon

I guess that depends on when this thread was moved to Resolved Issues. I'm guessing it was with the patch as a result of Telin's note above, which I don't feel address or resolves this problem in any way. Especially when he says "may" and "slightly". I'm basically reading that nothing changed to address the issue at hand.
Closed Thread