Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 11:50 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrood [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The only people I routinely talk to irl are my coworkers at an insurance company who are mostly all republicans, and my family who (thank fucking christ) are not.

If the SC overturns Roe, that's going against the wishes of the overwhelming majority of Americans.

If the SC removes pre-existing condition protections, that's going against the wishes of the overwhelming majority of Americans.

Can you even begin to imagine an overwhelmingly popular right-wing policy position? It doesn't exist.
You say this as if when Roe was passed Americans had favorable views on legal abortion, lmao
Old 09-20-2020, 12:00 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutal_X [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You say this as if when Roe was passed Americans had favorable views on legal abortion, lmao
lmao, yes they did. Something like 20% of Americans thought abortion should be illegal when the decision was made, which is almost exactly where it remains today.

Our national views on abortion have not changed since Roe. You're flat wrong.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:10 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrood [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
lmao, yes they did. Something like 20% of Americans thought abortion should be illegal when the decision was made, which is almost exactly where it remains today.

Our national views on abortion have not changed since Roe. You're flat wrong.
That's not really true. It's been super fluid and certainly hasn't been an "overwhelming majority". You had almost 50% in opposition during the Mid-80's and other spikes since 1975.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:17 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutal_X [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's not really true. It's been super fluid and certainly hasn't been an "overwhelming majority". You had almost 50% in opposition during the Mid-80's and other spikes since 1975.
I'm seeing 74% supporting abortion, either fully or in some cases, in the mid-70s. 79% today. It's increased by a little. By so little the line effectively looks flat. There's been "spikes" but really small ones.

If your contention was that when Roe passed, anti-abortion views in this country were a majority, let alone a large one, then that is simply not true.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:32 AM
Kobold

And also, it's like, when I say that democracy itself is very much in trouble in this country (supported by republicans *forcing* themselves into office and power in a way that democrats simply do not, and the way republicans are quick and eager to strip voting rights from Americans),

why is your response to that: "Gonna cry"? Wtf kind of American is so fucking blasé about that?
Old 09-20-2020, 12:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can’t wait for you right shits to make some excuse as to why Trump should still get to nominate a new judge even though Obama and dems got fucked with Merrick Garland.
Oh that's super-duper easy. You see, Obama was a lame-duck. No matter what happened in the next election, Obama was going bye bye. So Mitch the Honorable decided to let the people decide; they would elect a new president who would be 100% not Obama and that person would then have the privilege.

This is completely not the case now. Trump the Incumbent is rightly choosing the justice as is proper of one expected to retain the office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quido [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There was a solid understanding for many years - a sort of peace when it came to fucking with the Supreme Court and its balance. This was violated in 2016. There will be retribution - probably not now, but sometime.
The violation happened in 2013, when Harry Reid and the Democrats removed the filibuster and the 60 vote requirement for judicial appointments. Mitch told Harry if he did that there would be hell to pay, because Harry was breaking like 200 years of precedent and shit. I think he said "You’ll regret this, and you may regret this a lot sooner than you think." which is cool because he never swore but I would have definitely thrown a 'motherfucker' in there. So yeah, of course the Democrats caused this trouble, just like every fucking other thing I swear the incompetent evil shits.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:45 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Democrat mayors since 1931. Pick a day to read a newspaper from Chicago in the past 20 years. /thread
Old 09-20-2020, 12:49 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh that's super-duper easy. You see, Obama was a lame-duck. No matter what happened in the next election, Obama was going bye bye. So Mitch the Honorable decided to let the people decide; they would elect a new president who would be 100% not Obama and that person would then have the privilege.

This is completely not the case now. Trump the Incumbent is rightly choosing the justice as is proper of one expected to retain the office.

The violation happened in 2013, when Harry Reid and the Democrats removed the filibuster and the 60 vote requirement for judicial appointments. Mitch told Harry if he did that there would be hell to pay, because Harry was breaking like 200 years of precedent and shit. I think he said "You’ll regret this, and you may regret this a lot sooner than you think." which is cool because he never swore but I would have definitely thrown a 'motherfucker' in there. So yeah, of course the Democrats caused this trouble, just like every fucking other thing I swear the incompetent evil shits.
The people did decide in 2012 when they overwhelmingly elected Obama, knowing that any open seats in his 4 remaining years of office were his privilege to fill. Not just his first 3 years of the term, or 2. Four. Mitch simply stole that from him.

And if you're saying that Reid breaking Senate precedent rightly resulted in McConnell retaliating by packing the courts with hardcore conservative judges that do not reflect the will and views of the American people, then your idea of evil is fucking skewed beyond belief.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:51 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle2.0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Democrat mayors since 1931. Pick a day to read a newspaper from Chicago in the past 20 years. /thread
Third in the nation in GDP, bitch. We get it done.

How are those ruby red cities of ours' doing, anyway?

Edit: Oh, and I've had the Chicago Tribune delivered to me for as long as I can remember.
Old 09-20-2020, 01:54 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:

Can you even begin to imagine an overwhelmingly popular right-wing policy position? It doesn't exist.
Less taxes.

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Closed Thread