Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 06:11 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanji123 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
...or how is this implemented...
It changes the letters of the words someone types (but not the number of letters in each word and I don't think it does anything to punctuation, either). The more proficient you are in the language they are speaking, the fewer letters are jumbled. Sometimes, it can be pretty easy to tell what someone said, but it really does look like gibberish.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:39 AM
Sarnak

/ooc teaching gnomish for donations at PoD lift
Old 08-26-2020, 03:40 AM
Planar Protector

Welcome! Be sure to check out the Project 1999 Wiki it's filled with useful information to help you hit the ground running! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:56 AM
Sarnak

Welcome to p99,

We might not have a chance to meet in game if you're on Green, but if you ever get on Blue, feel free to /tell one of my characters

I'm on the Begian/French border so we'll most probably be playing
at the same time.

PS I started playing EQ back in the late 90s when I could not play real rpgs with friends anymore (D&D, WFRP, SW, MERP/ Rolemaster among others)

Hope you like Norrath as much as most of us do 🙂 it's not Greyhawk, but it's awesome anyway
Old 08-26-2020, 02:42 PM
Large Bat

:-D ok than i might have to create another char on Blue

another dump question: in the pen and paper RPGs i kinda liked the Va Shir (from the background story, note once again: i come from the PnP game).

What is the reason that the expansion with the Va-Shir was cut from Project1999. Is there a reason why this expansion is not considered "Classic"? I mean it introduced the final race (afaik... well the PnP doesn't have any further races).
Old 08-26-2020, 06:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanji123 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

another dump question: in the pen and paper RPGs i kinda liked the Va Shir (from the background story, note once again: i come from the PnP game).

What is the reason that the expansion with the Va-Shir was cut from Project1999. Is there a reason why this expansion is not considered "Classic"? I mean it introduced the final race (afaik... well the PnP doesn't have any further races).
Nah there were multiple other races introduced over the years.

There are people who think Luclin counts as part of the classic era. It’s certainly arguable in some ways. But the reason P99 does not go there is because they think that Luclin was when you started to see EQ go down the slippery slope to things that changed what made it great. Things like the bazaar, fast travel via the Nexus (later on made worse in PoP with the Plane of Knowledge), Paludal Caverns with its zone and quest design that made everyone who made new characters immediately just bring them to that zone to level because it allowed them to breeze through things faster, etc etc. Velious is the last expansion where you really have “true” EQ in essentially its original form.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:49 PM
Planar Protector

yea..... that's pretty much right.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-26-2020, 08:19 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Welcome! I'm new as well and look forward to meeting many of you!
Old 08-27-2020, 08:01 AM
Sarnak

Quote:

Vah Shir and the Beast Lord class (shaman hybrid type) among other things were added with the Shadows of Luclin expansion
Old 08-27-2020, 11:34 AM
Large Bat

ah ok... so the teleporters where the reason :-/ ok that's understandable

sad though [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Beastmaster Va Shir sounded soo cool (at least reading it in the PnP Rulebook)
Closed Thread