Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 03:16 PM
Planar Protector

this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4fc6gl.jpg (77.5 KB, 121 views)
Old 09-17-2020, 03:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle2.0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do you believe more people would be at Disneyland if they cut their price in half to $50? Do you believe more people would mean longer waits in line?
Lol your rational thinking isn't working too good today....

Items dropping isn't getting INTO disney land (anyone can do that, you can show up to a camp and start camping).....

What we are talking about is the ride itself.

So, a disney ride line might be an hour long normally. Because the ride has a capacity of 100 people an hour.

Now, if Disney adjusted the ride to make it faster... so the ride could accommodate 200 people an hour... yes, the line would move faster, and maybe people who were put off by the hour long wait would decide to line up (since it's starting to take less time), until it comes to an equilibrium point again.

But at the end of the day, that's 200 people an hour enjoying the ride....instead of 100 people an hour enjoying the ride.

It's very simple, increasing the drop rate means the line would move faster and more people would enjoy the ride (get the item). Would the line have more people in it? SURE, but THE LINE MOVES FASTER....so it evens out in the end. The net effect is just more people being satisfied.

You were doing such strained mental gymnastics trying to understand this... with ticket prices and all sorts of pseudo economic theory (lol)... that you completely missed the actual thing we are talking about here....
Old 09-17-2020, 03:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle2.0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
WON'T WORK. They can share a VPN with a dedicated IP# or share a computer or VPS running EQ via Remote Desktop.
If they're playing two characters that's boxxing and a bannable offense.

Kick people off the list if their IP changes.

You just don't want this change because you're a shill for manastone selling.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:29 PM
Planar Protector

Baler baler baler....

You don't use the VPN to box. You use the VPN to play ONE toon at a time on ONE IP that doesn't change so you don't get booted. Yes, if you load up your main or an alt, you will be in trouble for boxing - that's irrelevant to the /list.

Player A connects to VPN on 123.123.123 on Account123 on CamptertoonABC, camps list item for 8 hours, logs off VPN back on his his home internet IP to play his other toons or sleep. Player B connects to VPN on 123.123.123 on Account123 on CamptertoonABC and keeps camping list item on the same toon.

Can you understand this? Have you ever used a VPN before? Do you know how a VPN works?

It's the same exact toon-sharing scheme people used for list camps except now they have a $3-5/month VPN to share 1 IP number on the toon they camp list items with. CasualBob has internet issues and resets his internet that just happens to have dynamic IP and he loses his spot on the list.

The next thing you might say is "zomgosh if their computer ID # changes, kick em off." Ok, then they all share 1 crappy laptop on 1 IP via Remote Desktop or w/e people use these days. CasualBob, wants to switch computers so his son can do homework. *boot*

Your proposal won't stop the very people you want to stop - it will have the opposite effect discourage more casuals from doing a /list camp. "Ban all gunz! Will make us safe!" Surething.

NEXT

------------------------------

Ivory, First, your assumption is wrong, and I'll explain below, but first let's just assume you're right for fun.

Why not just build 1,000 identical "rollercoasters"? Oh wait, instancing isn't classic.
Why not just make the drop rate 1000x more common? Oh wait, 1000x-drop rate isn't classic.
Why not just hand everyone a manastone? Oh wait, handing out legacy items to every person isn't classic - it's called the EZ Server.

You set up "more people enjoying it" as the standard (specifically, how much YOU think it should drop.) If that is the ultimate standard, why not do the above 3 things: instancing, 1000x drop rate, and/or give one to everyone?

When you answer that question you may just have my answer to your proposal.

It seems you argument is: "Make these unclassic changes to my own personal standard of how EQ should be for I have spoken." Next thing you know we got teleporters instead of boats and cats on the freaking moon.

When you say "equilibrium" you're saying more rides will happen, but due to more people riding the actual wait time won't decrease - it'll stay the same. Sure, we can agree on this. Now... why you're wrong saying "more people will get to enjoy[list item.]"

If Manastone is still a 48-148 hour camp, will someone that didn't camp it before now magically camp it? No.

100 more drops DOESN'T mean 100 more people get to enjoy it. It just means 100 more drops. The main reason people didn't camp Manastone was the camp time + attention cost of AFK checks. You're gonna have the same neckbeards (people willing to camp for that long) super pumped they are getting 2x as many list items. Instead of 4 neckbeards sharing 1 toon, you now got 2 sets of 2 neckbeards sharing 1 toon each. If you got 10 toons on list doing Manastone, maybe you got 30-40 neckbeards behind it all sharing toons - and a few individuals who are total champions. By making Manastone easier, those 30-40 dudes on 10 toons aren't going to disappear, they will get in line themselves.

NEXT
Last edited by Castle2.0; 09-17-2020 at 04:41 PM..
Old 09-17-2020, 04:47 PM
Banned

There's still a fundamental question of how many people are sharing accounts to get list items vs. how many innocent campers would be negatively impacted by any given proposed change. Bob casual getting kicked off because lightning struck his pumpkin patch represents, I would assume, not many instances of people getting kicked off. People will do the lazy thing and just share accounts if they have no reason to take measures to mask it, and the laziest among that set won't want to deal with extra restrictions on account sharing and the total amount of account sharing goes down. Bob casual's net chance to get a manastone then goes from a billion:1 to a billion:1.1
Old 09-17-2020, 05:04 PM
Planar Protector

Imagine if this thread was about how a guild trained them off of a 16 hour manastone camp instead of what it's about.
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's still a fundamental question of how many people are sharing accounts to get list items vs. how many innocent campers would be negatively impacted by any given proposed change. Bob casual getting kicked off because lightning struck his pumpkin patch represents, I would assume, not many instances of people getting kicked off. People will do the lazy thing and just share accounts if they have no reason to take measures to mask it, and the laziest among that set won't want to deal with extra restrictions on account sharing and the total amount of account sharing goes down.
This^ Most people won't be willing to bypass a list IP lock and the ones who have real issues with their ip changing naturally are minimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Imagine if this thread was about how someone trained them off of a 16 hour manastone camp instead of what it's about.
This^ is exactly why the list is better than how it was! Great Point!
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 09-17-2020 at 05:12 PM..
Planar Protector

Quote:
It seems you argument is: "Make these unclassic changes to my own personal standard of how EQ should be for I have spoken."
They already made unclassic changes for /lists ... such as .... the lists....

Oh, and they also killed the drop rate on things like guise.

Oh, and they also nerfed a ton of stuff recently (like wands).

The "but it's not classic" arguments really don't work when there are so many non-classic changes happening regularly....

I wish they would at LEAST make it classic... let players do lists and sort it out... the clicking every x minutes is a paiiiin. And put the classic drop rates back (instead of the SUPER brutal drop rates).

But, really, it's not for me... my fellows is most elite adventurers ... so treasure shall belong to gnomes soon enoughs!
Old 09-17-2020, 05:42 PM
Orc

The only fair list is to completely recycle it after the item drops so normal people have a chance to get spot #1 and not some sick drug addict who does not go outside
Old 09-17-2020, 10:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
The only fair list is to completely recycle it after the item drops so normal people have a chance to get spot #1 and not some sick drug addict who does not go outside
Great arguments so far. I'll put this right up there with "give everyone a manastone."

I don't have the time to camp it... so make it random because that fits my individual playtime requirement.... Awww <3

Quote:
This^ Most people won't be willing to bypass a list IP lock and the ones who have real issues with their ip changing naturally are minimal.
"Most people" aren't the group of people you're complaining the /list caters to.... If your IP change boot rule got put into play, neckbeards be like...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4fdpf2.jpg (53.2 KB, 93 views)
Closed Thread