Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 07:31 PM
VIP / Contributor

Chronicles of Amber is a great series.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:12 PM
Large Bat

Way Of Kings good book.. But yes verbose. Intro is rough because no context and a bit involved but gets better imo.

Name of the Wind is good book.. Wise mans fear was a letdown and dudes taking 4 yrs to write the third.

Chronicles of Amber is good shit, dated but cool and very concise. More a fantasy/modern mixup at first tho

Try some Joe Abercrombie mebbe? Has a good series can't recall the name, but Inspector Glokta was a very cool character

Avoid terry goodkind unless u want to lower ur iq.

Wheel of time is good if you like a big series but u can skip books 9-10 and improve the experience dude got a bit off at the end. Good tho overall and Sanderson finished strong.

I like Steven Erikson a lot but not for everyone. He's an anthropologist and his work reflects that.

Read all the drizzt back in my early teens or so, well was only 9 books then heh but they are very basic as far as writing goes. If you liked the homeland trilogy I would at least try the first crystal shard book, can always bail if it doesn't grab you. I always felt homeland/exile/sojourn were the best.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:44 PM
Sarnak

Yea you mine as well read bout drizzty till like book 10 your missing some good pages for sure. Gives me a boner wish I could read it 1st time again =D
Old 07-14-2014, 09:46 PM
Fire Giant

The book series that got me started on fantasy so many years ago was Raymond E Feist's Magician series. Over the years it exploded into 30ish books covering literally hundreds of years of the world of Midkemia. Pure fantasy at it's finest, in my mind.

I've read the first 20 something of the Salvatore books, they're good popcorn fantasy. Nothing deep, just easy reading.

Chronicles of Amber is definitely a good suggestion, I still have my giant all-in-one book of the series.

Wheel of Time are worth reading but definitely an undertaking.

I enjoyed David Eddings' series of books. The Belgariad, Malloreon, Elenium, and Tamuli series'. About 20 books there to read.

Song of Ice and Fire, of course.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:38 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zade [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Chronicles of Amber is a great series.
Sweet I was looking for something new to read. Never heard of this. Looks pretty good.
Will start this week.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:41 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letharos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Avoid terry goodkind unless u want to lower ur iq.
Those books were awful I never understood the hype. The story/world was pretty decent but the main character was unbearable and eventually just served as a puppet for Terry to preach from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letharos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like Steven Erikson a lot but not for everyone. He's an anthropologist and his work reflects that.
Love his books. Very different style from most other fantasy, I found his world to be pretty dark (until I read Steel Remains..) but excellent.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:43 AM
Kobold

Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan...can get them relatively cheap, I have the first 4 books in hardcover through amazon got them for $12 each.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:41 AM
Sarnak

The Cronicles of Amber books suck. The first set had some pretty horrible writing. I heard the second set was better though. After reading 4 books filled with shit I never read the second set so I couldn't tell ya.

Anyone suggest Mistborn yet?
Old 07-15-2014, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_still_a_virgin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I started Brandon Sanderson's "The Way of the Kings" last night and I made it like 10 pages but it just seems so overly verbose. And the hero was turning the rooms upside down and melting faces with his shardsword, so the fight scenes were annoying me.

I'm going to keep giving it a shot but if it stays this way I'm going to chuck it (no pun intended). Keep giving me some ideas, might check out dragonlance or w/e.

Nice gif Zade

Came here to mention this book, really great read just finished the second one last night.

That being said, it is a little long winded and boring if I'm being honest.

Here are some books more along the lines of RA salvator which if we are again being honest is more of a writer geared at teenagers than adults which makes them fun and easy reads.

Fantasy

The First Law: Right now this is at the top of my list for fantasy series. 3 books, a few different characters, adult writing and content without being over the top. You should stop what you are reading and pick these up. first one is "the blade itself"

Night Angel Series - Fun, reads almost like a comic book, really enjoyed.

Sci-Fi-

SnowCrash- Plain and simple one of the most iconic sci-fi/cyberpunk novels there is. I've read both this and neuromancer and I prefer SnowCrash though both are great.
Again, this book reads easy but is great.

Read these 7 books and come back to me.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:51 AM
Banned

Damn Hateraid is slipping. Expected to see him call everyone faggot nerds by page 5.
Closed Thread