Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 04:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seltius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wasnt SoV the last expansion that Verant did completely? IIRC Sony took over right before SoL was released(well before it was ready to be released) So alot of the change in direction and the mechanics in the game along with the rushed releases were due to an almost complete overhaul of the team working on the project.
Sony was always involved. VI started in Sony, was spun-off and re-acquired. However, the spirit of your question/argument is spot on because the original developers (Brad & co) departed to form their own company (Sigil) and begin work on VSoH around that time.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:07 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sony was always involved. VI started in Sony, was spun-off and re-acquired. However, the spirit of your question/argument is spot on because the original developers (Brad & co) departed to form their own company (Sigil) and begin work on VSoH around that time.
Right I guess I should have clarified that the dev team that worked on the project changed and they dropped the Verant section when they just changed it to Sony Online Entertainment. So with the changes in the Dev team and direction so changed the feel and spirit of the game.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:30 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itap [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Warping to a plane where a certain god or demi-god rules is aligned with classic EverQuest lore. Warping to outer space like we're on a NASA mission is quite the stretch for a D&D type MMO.

That Expansion seems so forced, everything from Lore, Zones, Mobs, character models, and the list goes on. Don't you remember when SoL was released, that half the raid zones and quests were broken or unfinished.

Also, I was being a little facetious with my OP.
You don't know what DnD is if you think it didn't include "outer space."
I don't see what your reservation is with porting to the moon. Spaceships aren't involved. It's Wizards and Druid, and magical portal spires. There's nothing sci-fi about it. Spelljammer and Planescape were both around long before EQ released, and EQ is based on the principles set forth by DnD.

What about the lore was "forced"? It finally integrated the Shissar into the playable scope of EQ lore. What about the mobs and zones was "forced"? Can you elucidate, or will you continue to throw out vague notions that you can't actually explain?

The character models were love-hate. I think they're great. I don't see what the problem is. They're stiffly animated, but the models themselves are fantastic. They consume a great deal of resources, which sucked at the time SoL was released, but that's no longer an issue.

I wasn't raiding at the time of SoL release, so I don't really know or care about that. It could be completed/fixed here (or on another server, though), so I don't see why that is such an issue, either. Luclin was to Velious what Kunark was to Vanilla. An expansion that spanned all levels and vastly increased the possibilities of play. I think spell foci and AA were my favorite parts of SoL.

I hope the devs at least include spell foci in any future custom content, if nothing else.

As they ground to make XP holy . . . let us twink to make it free; our EQ marches on!
Old 04-14-2015, 04:34 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I hope the devs at least include spell foci in any future custom content, if nothing else.
+1 for this, spell foci is the one thing I completely forgot about that is absolutely balanced in EQ

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Old 04-14-2015, 05:02 PM
Planar Protector

I often wonder what the reaction would have been to Luclin would have been if the same content was just on an island over some previously uncrossed mountains instead of the moon.

Ssra was an awesome zone surrounded by the awesome concept of The Grey. Vex Thal sucked but the loot was good. Honestly the updates with AAs, resists, and other fight scripts added so much more to the mechanics than Velious. Don't get me wrong, I like Velious and it has great content including fights, faction, and zones, but mechanically most classes are just getting stats +X%. Which was fine with Velious, but another expansion like Velious would have been bleh.

Also people will have different opinions on different aspects. I personally don't care much for EC, and if people wanted to haggle that opportunity didn't go away. I also liked mounts because they were a good addition to advance a character without being game breaking, which is what you want from most content. As a wizard who made money from ports I felt in no way threatened by the Nexus, a person using the Nexus ports to get somewhere might spend 30 minutes in transit and not even be at their destination. Really not much different than boats. In fact I probably made a lot more money because on a PvP server the Nexus and Bazaar were a good hangout spot to port people from.
Some other toons
Formerly of TZ
Old 04-14-2015, 07:50 PM
Planar Protector

Luclin is the best expansion, follow by Kunark, then Velious.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:08 PM
Planar Protector

This one's for you Swish!

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-14-2015, 08:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Luclin is the best expansion, follow by Kunark, then Velious.
PoP -> Luclin -> The Rest
Old 04-14-2015, 08:53 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is the description of someone who likes things given to them and not have to earn them [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].
Old 04-14-2015, 08:56 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lore-wise, i prefer Luclin over PoP, but purely for gameplay/AAs/spells PoP was the cherry on top.

Playing on a classic server compared to a PoP server, is kind of like comparing living in a shack versus living in a fully furnished house with electricity and running water.

The Luclin+PoP combo took a game that was "good" to "phenomenal". It's crazy how it's still the same game, yet so much better.