Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 10:10 AM
Fire Giant

You all are starting to lose sight of the point here. It isnt that PoP or even Luclin wasnt fun. It is the fact that they were no longer considered classic content by the people who make the decisions and put all the effort and work into this server. I dont know that I have ever seen Luclin or PoP called classic content before. I know SoV was pushing it but there are at least common threads between SoL and Kunark/Vanilla EQ. That being the original Dev team and locations.

Oh and I did get to raid PoP content and it was amazing. I wish I could go back and play through that expansion again but if the Devs here decide not to add it well at least I am getting to relive Vanilla-SoV to an extent and am grateful.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:00 PM
Planar Protector

Daldaen and Secrets hit most of the pro-Luclin points already.

I think that other than zone/NPC graphic schemes, the biggest negative against Luclin is the lack of a traditional camp/PH style dungeon. Luclin has a ton of minimal-use flyover zones, but so do Velious and Kunark. There are a ton of camps in Luclin, but there is really no dungeon with the traditional camp/PH seen in Guk, SolB, Sebilis, Velketors, etc.

The closest thing to this would be Maiden's Eye (which was the most populated exp spot during SoL). Unfortunately, Maiden's Eye was outdoors and most of the good shit was no-drop. Fungus Grove mostly followed a random-drop model, Acrylia was an AE zone, and Umbral Plains was a plane with a few long spawn PHs.

As mentioned above, there was an abundance of camps and ways to make money in Luclin, you just had to be very pro-active and pre-form a group prior to reaching a destination. That 100% does not work with PUGs and imo, contributed heavily to the expansion's reception.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:41 PM
Planar Protector

Ssra was a decent camp zone. Vah Shir illusion, Ring of Shissar components, Summoned Fangs clicky pouch, Voice of the Serpent Clicky, Fast Horses. Not to mention the other 10 named in zone with decent stat items but not clickies.

Beyond that though you're mostly correct, Ssra wasn't quite the size/number of camps as Sebilis but it was pretty decent with several keyed and locked areas with more named. It was size able enough to support several groups. It had a bit less of a "crawl" style setup since it was more open to get from entrance to most camps. It probably had the same number of named/camps as Velketors but the majority of the loot was no drop.

The Deep had a few decent named mobs, but half the zone didn't get used by many because of the fear of death by invis bridge. It's a shame more people didn't do the floating moss rock quest, which was a really neat idea.

Akheva Ruins was just a bad zone outside of the raid content. Acrylia was an AE fest, the inner sanctum was very unique and the trials/events there were cool but very few got to do them before revamp. Griegs was mostly empty but you could spawn named in traps I think, many of which were very interesting drops like bind wound skill modifiers and such. I *think* that's about it as far as high level dungeons go.

I think the No Drop loot thing is worth mentioning also as that tended to be one shift in Velious and later Luclin. A lot of loot started to become no drop, which I think is a good thing. Less farming AC or Rogue Epics or Fungi King for the 100th time to buy an upgrade. Instead you had to go camp or quest the upgrade yourself. But I'm do understand some people aren't a fan of this.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:55 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think the No Drop loot thing is worth mentioning also as that tended to be one shift in Velious and later Luclin. A lot of loot started to become no drop, which I think is a good thing. Less farming AC or Rogue Epics or Fungi King for the 100th time to buy an upgrade. Instead you had to go camp or quest the upgrade yourself. But I'm do understand some people aren't a fan of this.
But trading items is classic! If everything is no-drop, how can i tunnelquest and flip items to make enough money so that i can buy a whole set of end-game gear and pay for a PL?

This is why i like classic, it's hard and unforgiving and it forces people to be social and makes the game feel alive. That's why when i solo with my fungi and epic and die at level 22, i send a tell to an epic cleric 6 zones away and ask him to come rez me.
Sarnak

*quivers slightly*

Luclin was one of the best ground breaking expansions in MMO history. It introduced 3d mounts, automated trading, and different ways to condense a smaller low level population through things like Paludal Caverns and the nexus.

And "Oh no! Cats on the MOON?!?!?!" God forbid the developers try something new and even give it a somewhat solid high fantasy background.
Fire Giant

The rarity of NO DROP gear in EQ is what made it so good and replayable (twinking) IMHO.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:01 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpetrick [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Skip luclin. Launch planes of power with no PoK books.

I would be okay with this actually. POK killed porters as well as Luclin making mounts which i could care less. and cat people and Moon zones were junk graphics were crap however i did like AC
Old 04-15-2015, 02:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristantio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The rarity of NO DROP gear in EQ is what made it so good and replayable (twinking) IMHO.
Also what makes it unique, or classic. Virtually every modern mmo employs no drop equipment. SoL/PoP (cannot recall which) where we first started seeing level restricted gear (outside of procs/effects).
Old 04-15-2015, 02:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalore93 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
*quivers slightly*

Luclin was one of the best ground breaking expansions in MMO history.
Even though the perspective is different, this perfectly illustrates why Luclin is uniquely disqualified as Classic Everquest. Thanks for your support ^^ <3
Old 04-15-2015, 02:14 PM
Sarnak

No, it's exactly why it's a part of classic EverQuest. EQ1 was THE ground breaking MMO. Luclin and PoP in particular continued and heightened that trend.