Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 02:17 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also what makes it unique, or classic. Virtually every modern mmo employs no drop equipment. SoL/PoP (cannot recall which) where we first started seeing level restricted gear (outside of procs/effects).
Velious introduced level restrictions on some items, actually.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Fellspine%27s_Tail

Granted, that's on very few items, but from there, we can make the logical conclusion that Velious was the beginning of the end.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:20 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalore93 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No, it's exactly why it's a part of classic EverQuest. EQ1 was THE ground breaking MMO. Luclin and PoP in particular continued and heightened that trend.
Well..no that's not how that works man. Yes Luclin and PoP were ground breaking and heightened that trend but that's exactly why they are not classic everquest. They're wholesomely Everquest, quintessential even .. but no, not classic by any stretch of the imagination. They are the vanguard of modern Everquest. That's not knocking them, I enjoyed what they had (sans the shit models) but come on man...you're reaching.

Millburn Pennybags - Blue
Palmer Eldritch - Teal
Old 04-15-2015, 02:32 PM
Sarnak

Ok, besides the fact that beastlords were the first new class added, they really weren't too much of a depature from the classic game. They kinda sucked before PoP anyways.

Also, bane weapons weren't a huge part of the expansion, sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
AAs - Playing and earning experience, increases characters power. Sound very Classic and DnD like.
You're being lazy.

Increasing PC power is the focus of all of these types of games, making this a poor argument for it representing classic everquest. AA's greatly increased the potency of the game's classes, but the new content was simply balanced around this new potency level. This trivialized an inordinate amount the previous content, on a scale far greater than the new items on Velious or Kunark empowered players with respect to the previous iteration of the game.

What AA's really did was renew a massive experience grinding responsibility in order to keep your character relevant. In classic, you had to make it through the marathon that was 1-60, but then you were done. You just had to show up to raids or hit the camps you wanted to. Shadows of Luclin made simply being max level insufficient in a sense. Before Luclin, max level was a defining achievement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bazaar - Increased the amount of low end stuff for sale. Stuff that previously got destroyed, that wasn't worth the time to sell in EC now got put up in the bazaar. This was an excellent addition.
This is a reason why you like the bazaar. It is not a reason why the bazaar doesn't represent a departure from classic.

The bazaar was excellent in the sense that it made buying selling easier, more efficient and less time consuming, but that is exactly why it doesn't belong here. Classic Everquest isn't about automation; this isn't a Showtime Rotisserie economy. It's about the challenge of finding what you want.

Removing the social interaction from trade was a deathblow to the spirit of the game. Why do you think Nilbog is so proud of his EC tunnel? Why do you think p99 is the highest populated emulated server? Trade is accomplished via the barter system. You're advocating the Wal-Mart system.

Quote:
Horses - Made playing a caster in an outdoor zone a bit more convenient, and provided a decent money sink in game. For purposes of traveling they were pretty useless unless you got a raid one, group one or spent 100k. They certainly didn't devalue SoW for your general gamer.
You just argued that everyone riding a horse while simultaneously bypassing Everquest's major concession required for timely mana regeneration didn't detract from the game's identity.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erydan Ouragan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
from there, we can make the logical conclusion that Velious was the beginning of the end.
If you say so. I guess that just adds more marks against SoL then :/ since it is after your well reasoned "beginning of the end."
Old 04-15-2015, 03:32 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millburn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well..no that's not how that works man. Yes Luclin and PoP were ground breaking and heightened that trend but that's exactly why they are not classic everquest. They're wholesomely Everquest, quintessential even .. but no, not classic by any stretch of the imagination. They are the vanguard of modern Everquest. That's not knocking them, I enjoyed what they had (sans the shit models) but come on man...you're reaching.
Your reasoning is just as subjective as mine and everyone else's here haha. This thread has no actual meaning of course. People who are here are here for Classic to Velious and people who are on the TAKP or P2002 are there for Classic to PoP.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:37 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalore93 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Your reasoning is just as subjective as mine and everyone else's here haha. This thread has no actual meaning of course. People who are here are here for Classic and people who are on the TAKP or P2002 are there for Classic + Luclin and PoP.

Palmer Eldritch - Teal
Old 04-15-2015, 03:45 PM
Sarnak

I was speaking classic as in Vanilla and using the word "to" means that it includes everything up to and including PoP. :P

By the way, Ann Arbor? Out in L-town myself
Old 04-15-2015, 03:50 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
By the way, Ann Arbor? Out in L-town myself
I really need to update that! I bought a house out by Grand Blanc now so I'm not really in the A2 area anymore. I really miss it though =(

Palmer Eldritch - Teal
Old 04-15-2015, 03:58 PM
Banned

if you dont understand that the EC tunnel and the karanas are classic everquest then you just dont understand classic everquest.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:26 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not sure I can say I've seen anyone argue this, because we understand that we are minority and that's why we are here on Project 1999 and the reason a select few of us were (the development team) were ambitious enough to restore that experience.

If you want PoP go play TakProject. If a similar experience will suffice, go play anything else. If neither of those appeal, persuade someone to make a server to your liking. Otherwise you are stuck with what we have here :/ Sorry.
Get off your high horse. Can people not argue the greatness of an expansion without caring if it was ever implemented or not?
Closed Thread