Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 12:47 PM
Fire Giant

I quit soccer my Freshman year of highschool because I would have rather come home to play EQ than stay after for practice. Shortly there after I was released from the Olympic Development Program, and then was out of the game all together. Moved to KC, and my dad didnt have a computer that could run EQ. So I tried out for my new highschools soccer team, and got back into the sport. Now its my job, and I couldn't imagine doing anything else for a living.

BUT, there were also positive things that EQ did for me. It did give a 7th grader an unbelievable vocabulary, and taught me how to type well, in a time when most people still weren't proficient at it. It also gave me a familiarity with computers that turned into a second passion of mine: App development, and web design.

Asher
Old 04-19-2015, 01:03 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by iruinedyourday [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I almost failed out of college, i righted the ship but regret it cus I woulda had a crown of rile in 2001 if I didn't, now I just have student debt and p99.
Quote:
Originally Posted by holsteinrx7 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i can only get it up for fat melee lewts. tank lewts to be exact.

These are hilarious

Asher
Old 04-19-2015, 01:07 PM
Planar Protector

Thanks for reminding me, EQ gave me the ability to type like 60 wpm
Old 04-19-2015, 01:07 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohno [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think it hurts a lot of people's social development and skills because EQ has a might makes right style of play . Red99 has surprised me with just how horrible the people are there. Racism is pretty damn rampant and very few have any tact on the winning or losing side.

Basically barring petitions and general stupidity... once 1 side has numbers and gets an advantage it's pretty damn hard to lose it. This corrupts people with poor social/life skills pretty damn quickly.
wut?
Old 04-19-2015, 01:10 PM
Planar Protector

I use it more as a Hobby since I have retired, but I must admit I have played a lot more than I should have before I did. It DOES effect your family like it or not, young or old.

Like everything in life there is good things and bad things about everything, but this game is DAMN ADDICTIVE no doubt. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-19-2015, 01:24 PM
Planar Protector

Federal Prisoner #G2933378014
parole date: 2019

Most fed. pens can run the modified titanium client on their library computers np, because it is so old the filters they use these days don't screen for it.

p99 was a godsend for so many of us -- mucho props and respect as always to Fed. Prisoners #G3091117620 and #G2871003553 who run this entire server behind a false wall in their cell.

But eq was why we were here in the first place. Camp disputes get out of hand, and the next thing you know, you've driven halfway across the country and your best case scenario is you get natural life.

Shout out to all my homies in the big raid guilds, tho. Little do the casuals know the "batphone" is just someone yelling "Yo! Earthquake!" across the day room.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:54 PM
Sarnak

I played Hockey back then, in Goal (It's not that popular in England), only Rec team but my form took a huge dip & I was about as effective as a colander.
I can appreciate the impact it has on any sports.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:58 PM
Kobold

So i basically quit my job and wasn't looking for work. No food either, so after a while i lost a good amount of weight and i was already the skinny type, so when my step-mom saw me, she started to cry, i was looking like a famished vampire or something.

I was either playing EQ or sleeping, it didn't take long before getting thrown out of my appartment, so i moved to a friend's house and quit the game. Got my job back and shortly after, WoW came out and started playing that. World of Warcraft never got that insane, magnetic pulling effect it had on me, so i was able to "control" it, even though i spent most of my free time on it, playing with my friend.

A couple years went by, then i decided it was time to do something with my life, so i went back to school, kept playing WoW, got a job in my field, and here i am.

It hasn't cost me anything, at least i don't think so. It taught me valuable things and i have some pretty amazing memories. Looking back, i feel EQ was more than just an addiction, it was a way to cope with the feeling of not being ready to be a responsible adult who holds a job and pays his rent.

I'm glad i got addicted to EQ instead of anything else. Sitting in front of the computer in the safety of your home being addicted to a game is better than being on the streets, being addicted to whatever substance and sucking old gay men's dicks to fund your addiction.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:14 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
It taught me valuable things and I have some pretty amazing memories. Looking back, I feel EQ was more than just an addiction, it was a way to cope with the feeling of not being ready to be a responsible adult who holds a job and pays his rent.
^^ That. So true.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:22 PM
Sarnak

Barely graduated high school and failed out of college (due to other reasons as well). Lost a year and a half to working only part time and failing classes at community college due to raiding and camping. Ended up joining the military in order to right the ship.

Doing really really well now. Graduated from college, doing grad school now and got an awesome job lined up.

I'm not sure it was Everquest that really did me in though. If it wasn't EQ, it would have been something else. It was a failure on my part to do some self-exploration and figure out what I wanted out of life. Everquest and its somewhat predictable reward schedule for the time required just filled the gaps. It contributed to setting me back ~6 years relative to my peers though.

Oops.
Closed Thread