Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 12-07-2023, 10:07 AM
Skeleton

Default Is pulling mobs off a bard kite of more than 4 mobs allowed?

We have a guild member ask and I have been searching the forums all morning for some kind of official ruling on this other than You may not steal kills.

I have found lots of posts referring to a GM ruling that it is OK if they have more than 4 mobs - but I cannot find an official rule or post on the topic. I am hoping someone with better search skills than I might be able to provide a link to the formal ruling?

Thanks!
Last edited by Grunthos; 12-07-2023 at 10:10 AM..
Old 12-07-2023, 12:26 PM
Kobold

AFAIK there is no rule that allows you to take mobs from a player that is actively kiting or has them agro'd. In fact any such rule would render one of the main strategies that bards use to level completely useless. Doing so would fall sqaurely inside of the definition of kill stealing and therefore would be a punishable offense.

1. You may not steal kills.

Kill Stealing is defined as the killing of an NPC for any reason that is already fighting or pursuing another player or group that is prepared to engage that same NPC without that group's specific permission.
Last edited by WarpathEQ; 12-07-2023 at 12:33 PM..
Old 12-07-2023, 01:07 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpathEQ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
AFAIK there is no rule that allows you to take mobs from a player that is actively kiting or has them agro'd. In fact any such rule would render one of the main strategies that bards use to level completely useless. Doing so would fall sqaurely inside of the definition of kill stealing and therefore would be a punishable offense.

1. You may not steal kills.

Kill Stealing is defined as the killing of an NPC for any reason that is already fighting or pursuing another player or group that is prepared to engage that same NPC without that group's specific permission.
Yep - I am well aware of rule 1. However it has been discussed for years that if a bard has a high mob count kite and you have nothing to kill you can take mobs from the kite.

I talked to Stigion on discord this AM, (I play on green) and per GM ruling, pulling mobs off a swarm kite is allowed if the Bard has more than 4 mobs in the kite and you have nothing to kill due to the bard monopolizing spawns.

The reasoning is that its takes a long time to establish the kite and kills the mobs, and this ties up many many mobs in a very slow kill cycle that deprives other players of normal opportunities to kill mobs.
Old 12-07-2023, 01:11 PM
Skeleton

Derbadger — Today at 8:33 AM
Question - has there ever been an official post or ruling regarding the legality / allowability of pulling mobs off a Bard Kite?
[8:36 AM]
been searching the forums all morning and there seems to be a general understanding that it is OK to pull mobs off if they have more than 4 and there ar eno other spawns readily available. But the only "official" rule I can find is rule 1 - Don't kill steak a mob someone else is engaged on.
[8:37 AM]
one of our members had a dispute with a bard that was swarm kiting over him pickin out occasionial mobs (in unrest). The bard says it is against rule 1. I am trying to find the original ruling (from blue I think?) , but I suck at the intarwebs. (edited)

Derbadger — Today at 8:43 AM
I have looked into this before when people complained about <redacted> kiting, and never found anything concrete.

Stigion — Today at 9:00 AM
Yeah we allow people to grab mobs out of bards swarms if they have more than 4 and no other mobs are around

Derbadger — Today at 9:06 AM
Thank you!
Old 12-07-2023, 02:59 PM
Kobold

Good times.

Another shining example of the actual rules not being the actual rules. Looks like the new meta is going to be follow the bard's kite, let them do most of the work then just pick off half dead mobs for easy kills. I'm sure that won't be toxic at all...

And of course we want to be as vague as possible by adding in subjective qualifiers like "no other mobs are around"

You gotta love a rule system that incentivizes people to do the wrong things as much as possible to maximize the amount of GM disputes they are involved in to then gain a GM's understanding of the rules which differ from the actual written rules so they can use that against other players knowing the GM will rule in their favor in future disputes and that they are allowed to play the game in a way that no other reasonable rule abiding person is.
Last edited by WarpathEQ; 12-07-2023 at 03:02 PM..
Old 12-07-2023, 03:05 PM
Planar Protector

Found the bard.
Old 12-08-2023, 08:22 AM
Sarnak

i wouldn't KS under any circumstances. breaking rule A because someone else was breaking rule B is going to get both of you suspended.

you're better off petitioning for zone disruption if that is what is occurring. and taking fraps/screenshots and posting to RNF and allow the peoples court to decide.
Old 12-08-2023, 08:42 AM
Planar Protector

In unrest? That's clearly zone disruption. Bards have many other nearly-vacant zones to pull their shenanigans in.

That said, I've never had a problem in zones like LOIO if I send a (polite) tell to the bard and ask them to skip pulling from x building on their next round because I'm trying to get some sweet xp too.

-Mcoy
Old 12-08-2023, 11:20 AM
Planar Protector

Not only is it allowed, it should be encouraged. Damn the filthy swarming bards.
Old 12-08-2023, 11:35 AM
Banned

I miss being able to root naked bards on red99 that isn't allowed anymore tho [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]