Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 10:32 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Easiest first character

I've gotten really interested in playing come classic EQ lately, so I recently started up an account with p1999. I played EQ ages ago (although I was a very casual player), so it's been awhile since I've experienced classic EQ. Since I'm completely fresh on the server, I'd like to start with a class that will be easy to level and might help with getting some plat. I'd of course like to group when I can, but there will be times when I'd like the option of soloing. As far as races/classes are concerned, what is the easiest combination to start out with on this server?
Old 08-07-2014, 10:39 PM
Planar Protector

Druids are easy to solo and have a lot of options available to them. For pure bang for your buck in EXP per hour, animal charming is the way to go, although it can be a little tricky to get the hang of. For simpler but less efficient soloing, you can quad kite starting in the 30s or so. For even simpler and less efficient soloing, you can root-dot. You bring a lot of utility to a group setting because of your heals, snares, roots, buffs, lulls, and eventually evacs.

In terms of money, druids can make OK platinum in the 30s and 40s by porting (in the range of ~500 an hour, with a lot of variance), and can make good platinum in the 50s by power leveling (a couple thousand plat an hour).

The main weaknesses of this class is are that they are not generally speaking the first choice for EXP groups, and they are not very useful for raiding, but they are a very popular class for newbies and have a lot of good things going for them.

If the druid is too complicated for you, the magician is a much simpler class and is effective solo and in groups. They are also capable of doing some late-game camps for platinum. Their main drawbacks IMO are that they're rather boring to play (kind of one-dimensional) and they're not as good at soloing, in terms of EXP per hour, as a charm class like the druid.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Last edited by Estu; 08-07-2014 at 10:42 PM..
Old 08-07-2014, 10:44 PM
Planar Protector

Much wisdom from Estu.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:09 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Decided to go with a halfling druid...thanks for the advice!
Old 08-08-2014, 01:41 AM
Banned

logans run is such a great movie
Old 08-08-2014, 06:02 AM
Planar Protector

Pretty much anything that is a pure caster. Pet is added bonus.
Closed Thread