Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 09:55 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Bard kiting with programmable keyboard

I've started playing a bard recently and getting into AOE kiting. Up to this point, my method has been holding down the W and A keys while also holding the right mouse button. When I want to start turning, I let off the mouse for a split second.

This has worked well enough so far, but I read up on this guide on the wiki http://wiki.project1999.com/The_Tech...E_Kiting_Guide which mentions kiting while using a programmable keyboard.

I went and bought a Logitech G105 to see if I could try it out. From what the guide mentions, it sounds like I should program the right/left keys to fire every so often in order to create perfect circles.

The problem I'm having with this is that if I'm holding down the keys in order to strafe, my strafe gets canceled as soon as the keyboards fires the button to turn right. This causes mobs to catch up.

Has anyone got experience kiting this way that could help me out? Maybe I'm just reading into the guide wrong.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:29 PM
Planar Protector

I'm not sure this is OK to do in terms of the server rules.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 09-10-2014, 02:08 AM
Planar Protector

Reading through that guide, it seems sort of cheap to just program a keyboard to do everything.

However, like Estu said, autofire/programmed key fires is against the rules according to the staff. I'm guessing the bard that made that guide did not know that.
Last edited by zanderklocke; 09-10-2014 at 02:11 AM..
Old 09-10-2014, 09:47 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanderklocke [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Reading through that guide, it seems sort of cheap to just program a keyboard to do everything.

However, like Estu said, autofire/programmed key fires is against the rules according to the staff. I'm guessing the bard that made that guide did not know that.
pretty sure aslong as he at PC its fine to use the keyboard since it doesn't inject anything into the client.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:19 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
pretty sure aslong as he at PC its fine to use the keyboard since it doesn't inject anything into the client.
This was my thought.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That would be a wicked program if they could have it set on a macro to automatically fire every so often as the mobs pop. I can just see bandit camps with a bard running around all day on autopilot.

Serious note tho, I feel it takes the fun out of kiting if you just hit a button and your toon runs around in circles but meh
Old 09-10-2014, 12:20 PM
Developer

Automating tasks = bannable. If programming your keyboard gives you an advantage that others do not have, then you may want to think about it.

H
Old 09-12-2014, 07:08 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via ICQ to applesauce25r624 Send a message via AIM to applesauce25r624

BAN BAN BAN BAN !
Old 09-12-2014, 07:30 PM
Planar Protector

Derubael was supposed to issue an official policy (or at least some sort of official comment) for this very topic. I asked him to awhile back and he said it was coming (the backstory being that I got in a dispute with the author of that same wiki guide).

It's almost not needed now thanks to Haynar's comment, but I'd still love to see an update to an official rules page.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:17 PM
Planar Protector

How could it be bannable cause he has a better keyboard, that anybody can buy? Just a question though.
Closed Thread