Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 03-26-2020, 01:50 PM
Large Rat

Default Unable to enter world (Green)

Hello!

I've been having an issue after upgrading my machine where the client will not load into the game world after character selection. Once you press enter world the client become unresponsive and the window turns white to signify that it is unresponsive. If you allow it to sit and think about its issues for a time, it will recover and show what I assume is a server time out black screen that says "server is unresponsive at this time".

I've attempted to tweak the Eqclient.ini to run in windowed mode and have also done a fresh installation of the game with the most recent patch v53

so my baseline for my troubleshooting steps is a fresh installation with the patch copied over.

I have also attempted to use WinEQ2.0 and have reached the same results as running the baseline configuration.

I have even gone as far as taking an confirmed working copy of the game files off of another machine and to no avail it will reached the same results as running the baseline configuration on the upgraded PC.

so this got me thinking alright is this issue translatable to other servers?
so I tried to log into Red and lo and behold I could login to the game world and play.

I'm unsure as to why this is perhaps some sort of configuration server side or the server is progressed to a point where there is a different compatibility layer.

and yes before you ask i have ran the client in both admin and compatibility for XP S2

any kind of input to help assist me with getting my game running would be most welcomed!

Thanks
-Vek
Old 03-26-2020, 01:55 PM
Large Rat

System specs if anyone was wondering

Ryzen 9 3950x 16c/32t
GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Edition
64GB Ram 3600Mhz
Win10 Pro 64Bit

The game directory is currently being ran from an M.2 if that has any correlation.
but i have tested it on both normal HDD and SSD

I have set the Affinity for the game also to strictly utilize only 1 core as i know this is an old game and multi core wasn't vastly supported in circa 1999
Old 03-26-2020, 04:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by vek35 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
System specs if anyone was wondering

Ryzen 9 3950x 16c/32t
GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Edition
64GB Ram 3600Mhz
Win10 Pro 64Bit

The game directory is currently being ran from an M.2 if that has any correlation.
but i have tested it on both normal HDD and SSD

I have set the Affinity for the game also to strictly utilize only 1 core as i know this is an old game and multi core wasn't vastly supported in circa 1999
I see that your CPU's max boost clock is ~4.7GHz. This is above the limit that EQ can handle (it's either 4.2 or 4.6 + that it doesn't care for). Try dialing back as it's likely the single core you're running on is trying to max itself out.

Also sometimes worth trying a hotspot or vpn temporarily to see if it's something on your ISP's side.

-Mcoy
Old 03-26-2020, 05:40 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I see that your CPU's max boost clock is ~4.7GHz. This is above the limit that EQ can handle (it's either 4.2 or 4.6 + that it doesn't care for). Try dialing back as it's likely the single core you're running on is trying to max itself out.

Also sometimes worth trying a hotspot or vpn temporarily to see if it's something on your ISP's side.

-Mcoy
I'll try down clocking the CPU.

The tests done on the other machine were done on the same network so that rules that out
Old 03-26-2020, 06:12 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vek35 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'll try down clocking the CPU.

The tests done on the other machine were done on the same network so that rules that out
I take it back on the VPN.

Fired up the VPN and set it to Canada and its got me logged in.
that has to be the weirdest fix as it works on other systems.

I might keep testing with different network settings.

Maybe a different DNS might rectify the need to have the VPN running
Old 03-26-2020, 02:35 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Having the same issue here. Didn't change anything about my computer recently and it just started not working this morning.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:57 PM
Large Rat

issue persists after down clocking the CPU

Down clock tested at
3.95GHZ
3.67Ghz