Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 11:01 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1551 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is roughly the best argument against charm as it currently stands. I actually agree with it to an extent, if i were in charge i might increase the risk of charming to compensate for how much better and more reliable internet connections are these days. But i aint lol, and evidence would seem to point to it likely being a non classic change. And you could start making that argument about a lot of things. Again, p99 aint trying to fix eq, just recreate it as it was.

The obsession with evidence is that if it existed showing charm was op here in a not classic way its get fixed. That evidence does not seem to exist (in fact what we do have seems to point to the opposite). Theres plenty of eqemus out there that tried to fix eq in various ways if thats your thing.

So, what exactly is the large and negative impact on the community of charm? That isnt rhetorical, i clearly see charm is an issue, but i think if you wanted a non classic change in the name of “classic vision” youd have to make a reallly strong case that it is community destroying in a large and impactful way that didnt exist in classic. I see myself eyerolling at enchanters and being annoyed at them for farming items and having camps and such alone or with a partner, but i dont think that raises to the level of community destroying youd probably need to persuade the staff. That just sounds like a frustratingly classic aspect of eq to me.
just like you are annoyed by enchanters, you are annoying other classes that can't solo as well as necros

this is thread should be renamed "the salty crab bucket", because it is mostly salty kids trying to drag others down
Old 11-19-2019, 11:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushman [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not that knowledgeable about it but I thought historically they have made some changes for the sake of playability that steered away from classic mechanical values. If it's a case by case basis i just think they would be making everyone's experience more enjoyable and "classic" with reconsidering how charm performs currently.
That's not the point of the server. It's to re-create classic EQ on the EQ timeline. Not to make arbitrary decisions that because people are better at using a strategy today than they were back then we're going to nerf something. With what you're proposing, they'd also need to get rid of the wiki, eliminate the ability to alt+tab/play windowed, eliminate single IP restrictions, not allow anyone to connect with anything other than a dial up modem, etc. if the goal is to force people to be exactly like they were in 1999. Get over it dude.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:06 AM
Banned

30+ pages of people arguing about enchanter strength on p99.

To those complaining: its only going to get worse when you hit Kunark and then on to Velious. We're the strongest class in the game, deal with it.

Consider Blue today!
Old 11-19-2019, 11:43 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushman [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not that knowledgeable about it but I thought historically they have made some changes for the sake of playability that steered away from classic mechanical values. If it's a case by case basis i just think they would be making everyone's experience more enjoyable and "classic" with reconsidering how charm performs currently.
Generally unclassic adjustments seem to be made for cases where the change substantially decreases CSR load.

The 25 aoe limit, /list, there aren't a huge numbers of intentional departures from previously classic mechanics.

The only big non-csr departure from classic is where entire raids worth of lifetap earrings would be used to instagib dragons on spawn. That and titanium client features like /rewind and pet window.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:47 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Generally unclassic adjustments seem to be made for cases where the change substantially decreases CSR load.

The 25 aoe limit, /list, there aren't a huge numbers of intentional departures from previously classic mechanics.

The only big non-csr departure from classic is where entire raids worth of lifetap earrings would be used to instagib dragons on spawn. That and titanium client features like /rewind and pet window.
I'd imagine they could probably disable /rewind if they wanted to, but that falls within the bucket of reducing CSR load.

The amount of times I had to summon stuck people back in the day...lol
Old 11-19-2019, 11:59 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpcake2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
just like you are annoyed by enchanters, you are annoying other classes that can't solo as well as necros

this is thread should be renamed "the salty crab bucket", because it is mostly salty kids trying to drag others down
No arguments from me 😝
<Azure Guard>

Green
-Curare, Necromancer
Old 11-19-2019, 12:02 PM
Planar Protector

It is now clear that only a Teams PvP server can save us from the plague of Enchanters charm soloing everything.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It is now clear that only a Teams PvP server can save us from the plague of Enchanters charm soloing everything.
Doubtful. They're still just as good at PVE and a charmed pet in PVP, with some setup, can still be a problem depending on the situation. Plus chanters have the best dispels, great buffs including GRM, unresistable mez later on, etc.

My red chanter solod in dungeons all over and hardly anyone came to say hi because they weren't chanters who could get to where I was to say hi.

I guess maybe in classic with hundreds of players online it'd be too busy for solo chanters to do much during primetime. But even blue and green pops dip low on off hours, and of course a teams pvp wouldnt end up with 1500 players in prime.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:11 PM
Planar Protector

It is clear that you all fear my power and I have become too strong for my own good
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 11-19-2019, 12:16 PM
Kobold

I want to make sure everyone saw two EXTREMELY important posts on earlier pages.. these both align with my memories of classic, and thoroughly explain why charming was not used back then.

1. CHARMED PETS COULD NOT BE CONTROLLED
https://web.archive.org/web/20000510...ils&type=races
Quote:
--Submited by: Anatsia On: 07/08/1999 10:51:37 AM
I am what one would call a newbie? Nahh... level 19 ehchanter
charm is a great spell fighting orcs anywhere in Norrath.
For example go to a camp where there are three orcs or even two.
Charm the orc that is the closet to you and run to the orc and let him
hit you just once. Since you can not control your pet the pet or charmed
enemy is just there to protect you. He will have no choice but to help you fight.
Make sure you tell your party your charming because if you at charm and your party does not know
they will try to kill him and he wont die. The enemy is now your pet you can not have two pets so whatch out
do not charm when you have a pet already.
Then sit back and watch eachother fight until he is dead from the other enemy or when he breaks the spell
this is the so cool when ur are in a train or have more than u can handle
2. INVIS DID NOT BREAK CHARM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanks77 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In official patch notes why does it say "Charm is immediately removed from charmed NPC's when the character that charmed them casts invisibility"

Were enchanter not able to break charm with invis prior to this time?

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/hist...es-2002-1.html
Closed Thread