Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 11:06 AM
Fire Giant

Actually, watch the 10 year documentary with Jace Hall. Brad McQuaid and Smedley all say they had zero intention of making the game PVP, based of of UO's horrible PVP methods.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:39 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelaboon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Actually, watch the 10 year documentary with Jace Hall. Brad McQuaid and Smedley all say they had zero intention of making the game PVP, based of of UO's horrible PVP methods.
I knew i saw that somewhere, as I mentioned before- in exact ref. to UO itself. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-31-2013, 07:47 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelaboon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Was about to say this too...
Old 03-31-2013, 02:45 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladesch [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You are crediting the original designers with too much skill.
More likely they just stuffed up the spell design for some spells.

I'm sure you could find plenty of useless spells that are useless for pvp too....

Sense animals
Invoke lightning
Firefist
Invisibility to animals (camoflague is 4 levels lower and invis vs a lot more)
cascade of hail
calm animal (where would you use this instead of harmony?)
Spirit of cheetah. (not completely useless, but very very close to it)
scale of wolf (we dont have it, but would you really bother with it anyway?)
greater wolf form. (who would bother, normal wolfform is just as good for what druids want)

etc.
I use sense animals, firefist, calm animal, spirit of cheetah and greater wolf form often.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:38 PM
Planar Protector

I read the title of this post then lol'd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:54 PM
Fire Giant

I've never understood why people said EQ PvP is so bad. I've definitely never read an explanation and then said "ok, well this guys got a point"

My theory? Eq PvP is extremely hard, and out of balance. A video game that is hard, to most people, is not fun. Most people want adjustable difficulty, so that when they face that uber boss they won't be stuck once they've run out of ideas on how to defeat it and can't. I think EQ PvP is the said boss, with no slider. People never learned the tricks and techniques to winning in PvP (lol, see the video of that Rogue down Supreme in like 6 seconds because he just spun in circles thinking that would prevent from getting backstabbed?) so they just rerolled on blue and chased the dragon(s).

EQ PvP is awesome, you just have to find your personal silver lining. I play on Blue now due to the fact that the Red server is inhabited by a bunch of fucks, and I've learned to enjoy PvE EQ in a different light.

But I will always miss being able to go fucking own some idiot in a zone, instead of having to "ask" him to dig deep and summon some IQ.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:54 PM
Sarnak

didnt read thread, but its true.

when someone casts memblur on me in pvp its an awkward couple of days while my family has to re-teach me everything
Old 03-31-2013, 08:49 PM
Planar Protector

EQ was meant to be a high-stakes, chaotic game. High-stakes for the severe penalties from dying (long corpse runs, loss of significant XP). Chaotic because you can literally attack (and kill) any NPC in the game that you want to. Whether it's a banker, guild trainer, important quest NPC, or merchant. Everything is fair game.

It follows logically that you were also meant to attack any PC as well.

If you're not playing PvP, you're doing EQ wrong.

Quote:
Brad McQuaid and Smedley all say they had zero intention of making the game PVP, based of of UO's horrible PVP methods.
That's why there's a Priest of Dischord at the default bind point in every city and every toon created (even on PvE servers) starts with a Book of Dischord? And there were extremely popular PvP servers at launch of EQ? Not to mention all the obvious PvP items and spells built into the design of the game?

Derp.
Last edited by Stinkum; 03-31-2013 at 08:53 PM..
Old 03-31-2013, 11:19 PM
Banned

Bad thread rated 1 star.

All of your arguments are invalid because EQ was heavily influenced by D&D which is why so many useless spells/abilities exist.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:35 PM
Aviak

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Aretraes - 30 something Bard
Harmonium - 50 something Rogue

Seith - 65 Bard Xev Server - Velious>LDoN era
http://www.twitch.tv/spaceframe
Closed Thread