Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 10:12 AM
Planar Protector

Default Everquest magic system

What do you guys think is generally broken in the EQ's spell system?

What is really good? How does it compare to some other major magic systems in other games? (I never played any).

What would you change if you could? I'm talking fundamental stuff, not "omg charm is too reliable" or "omg omg pvp resists don't suit my play style"
Old 06-14-2020, 11:51 AM
Orc

How dare you speak in such a manner...
Old 06-14-2020, 12:02 PM
Sarnak

One thing i find interesting is that there's no spell, item, clickie, ability, or anything (that I know of, at least) that allows the player to silence npc spellcasters. Related I find it interesting how few enemies make use of silence, also. Maybe the original dev's thought that it would be too OP and would allow players to trivialize too much content? Would be cool to have a silence line of spells, though.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:53 PM
Planar Protector

I wish necro's had an animate dead line of spells, making the victim serve you as a pet for a short time in a "zombified" state.
Old 06-14-2020, 02:04 PM
Planar Protector

In later content theres an AA which enables a necro to reanimate all of the dead npc corpses in his general area to attack his target.

Was pretty fun to leave 20 npc corpses on the ground and summon them all against mobs in PoP etc
Old 06-14-2020, 02:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What would you change if you could? I'm talking fundamental stuff, not "omg charm is too reliable" or "omg omg pvp resists don't suit my play style"
That's a strange question, because those things you just wrote ARE pretty fundamental.

But anyway, I would definitely change the way buffs work in the game, making most of them short duration and requiring active combat usage. I would make playing a Cleric-type role much more interesting, with spells that have many different effects, such as chance to block physical attacks, small damage packet reduction, large damage packet reduction, reversals of single hits, anti-knockdown/knockback/stun, condition/hex removal, heals that become more effective with specific timings.

That same thing applies to debuffs too, especially Root/Snare. Those movement halting abilities are way too OP in EQ and are extra problematic for PvP with the way EQ is setup, because they either destroy characters who have no resist gear or they just do nothing at all because they always get resisted. The resist system of EQ in general is dumb, I would either remove it entirely or modify it to cause reduction in duration/effectiveness of spells on a sliding scale, rather than this all-or-nothing system.

In general I would lower the cast times of many spells, the way things operate at the lower levels in EQ is pretty good, but cast times keep increasing as you go up in levels and you get stuck with things like 7 second Sunstrikes, which is way too slow for how the game should operate with active combat. A few abilities can be like that but it shouldn't be the norm.
Old 06-14-2020, 02:43 PM
Kobold

I wish the pet classes in this game had a larger variety or pet models. I miss EQOA's pet progression. Mages, Enchanters and Necromancers got a much different looking pet at almost every level up and their capstone pets were very unique looking.
Old 06-14-2020, 02:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dokuton [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wish the pet classes in this game had a larger variety or pet models. I miss EQOA's pet progression. Mages, Enchanters and Necromancers got a much different looking pet at almost every level up and their capstone pets were very unique looking.
mages have the monster summoning line of spells that randomly picks a spawned mob in the zone and makes a pet with that model graphic.

a few times i was able to summon a Vulak pet or other named ToV dragon pet in a raid at HoT exit, good times as players flee for zone out or shit their pants then curse me

in places like timorous deep or WC, you can summon up a land-fish pet. Just good fun.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:15 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
mages have the monster summoning line of spells that randomly picks a spawned mob in the zone and makes a pet with that model graphic.

a few times i was able to summon a Vulak pet or other named ToV dragon pet in a raid at HoT exit, good times as players flee for zone out or shit their pants then curse me

in places like timorous deep or WC, you can summon up a land-fish pet. Just good fun.
That is pretty awesome lol
Old 06-15-2020, 02:37 AM
Sarnak

GCD and having to use a clicky to skip this "mechanic" bothers me - seems like an exploit

interrupt mechanic caused by movement momentum (not combat push interrupt) bothers me - i let go of that fucking arrow ages ago, why is this fool taking 2 and a half more steps? this isnt a driving game
Closed Thread