Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Resolved Issues

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 11:23 PM
Planar Protector

Default East Karana: Carrion & Crag Spider adjustments

The Basic Summary:
  1. Carrion Spiders should be social with other Carrion Spiders and Crag Spiders
  2. Crag Spiders should be social with other Crag Spiders and Carrion Spiders
  3. Crag Spiders should drop up to 10 silk
  4. Carrion Spiders should be dropping more silk (0-5, avg of 2-3)
  5. Carrion Spiders should drop Halfling Parts (sorry Filbus)

The Evidence:

Spiders being social:

I don't remember if Carrion's were assisting Carrion's to be fair, but they definitely should be, all spiders should assist each other. I was able to stand right under a Crag beating down his spider buddies (I was on a level 29 wiz).

https://web.archive.org/web/20030402...s=3&start=1775
Quote:
Posted @ Thu, Sep 14th 12:33 PM 2000
EK is a very good place to hunt for both melee and casters. Be careful with the spiders, they are social.
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/n...5&p=2#comments
Quote:
Sep 25 2000
FYI, carrion spiders will aid the crags too, ever the greenies. Not really a danger, just an annoyance. Snare them and continue kiting the crag. Good luck and happy hunting! The experience is fan-bloody-tastic for a level 16!
Quote:
Sep 15 2000
I've been killing these things since level 19 and plan to continue with them until at least 21-22 (I'm level 20 now)...
...Just make sure you keep your eye out for NPCs that would gang up on you (other crags, lion patriarchs, lioness matriarchs, etc.)
Quote:
Nov 24 2000
they dont aggro.. if you attack one foolishly and there are others in range you are royally f@cked..
Quote:
Apr 03 2000
Yes, crags and carrion spiders are both social creatures. If you pull one, the others will come if they are in aggro range.
Quote:
Mar 20 2000
Crags also help each other. So watch the area before you pull. I recommend pulling and not fighting out on the plains.

Crag Spider Silk Drop potential:

This may admittedly already be implemented as I didn't take a huge sample size (the crags can drain a lot of my wizzies mana). I just figured since I'm writing this up I will list some of what I've come across. Note that the thread suggests there was potentially a nerfed drop rate or 'seasonal drop rate', but I see that complaint quite a bit to be fair as I was digging through things. RNG is a cruel mistress we know all too well.

Evidence for 10 is a bit weak I'll admit (a 2004 post claiming 9 and 10 dropped, and a 2001 post saying "8 or more drop"). Definitely 8 potential for sure (again, perhaps already implemented), perhaps ultra rare for higher drops? Your choice.

8/9/01
Quote:
I think you'll find it's bad luck altho it has been suggested it is
seasonal. I cleared the zone of crag spiders once and got maybe 4 silks (all
on one spider) then, the same (RL) day about 4hrs later, I passed thru EK
again and did the same and looted 1 1/2 stacks, record is 8 on one spider
(although some did still drop none at all) Just to clarify that, I didn't
get 1 1/2 stacks from the 10 or so Crags that are in EK at any one time,
when it was obvious they were dropping silk I stayed there.

I think it's just random but I know what you mean. The Crags normally drop
loads but at times it would be better hunting large spiders due the lack of
silks.
Quote:
Mar 20 2000
Spent a lot of time hunting Crags. They drop 0-8 silks. More commonly in the 3-5 range. A sewing kit (even a small kit) is a must to combine the silks since the swatches stack.
Quote:
Mar 16 2000
I have had one drop 8 silks once.
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/n...5&p=1#comments
Quote:
Aug 09 2002
I killed these for a couple of hours on Povar this morning. these along with the carrion crawlers got me 160 silks total. quite nice if you need to make silk items. The dropped 4 silks commonly, sometimes id get 6, once i got lucky and all of 8 dropped.
Quote:
May 19 2004
I've had more than 8 silks drop off these suckers. I know for a fact 9 dropped, but I believe I've seen 10, one time.
Quote:
Aug 09 2002
The drop rate is NOT nerfed. i got 8 silks this morning of one of em on Povar
Quote:
Jul 11 2001
I have seen these recently drop 8 silks, when i was farming them last week. usually it's in the 2-3 range, but sometimes up to 6, and very rarely 7 or 8.
Quote:
Nov 22 2001
i would say is they dropped some things other than silk thye've been nerfed. the silk part is not, i a lv 48 ranger, kill them all the time for the silk they drop. i have had numerous one drop 8 or more silk. and to add to that, this zone is a tailors dream, the cats here drop lots of pelts

Carrion Spider Silk Drop rates:

I had a very abysmal drop rate on the silks off these creatures, by all accounts EK was hands down the best place to go for silk farming. I thought Carrions maybe didn't even have silks on their table after going about 4 kills with nothing. I believe I netted 2 silks in 9 kills. Spoke to a shaman who was leveling there hoping to work tailoring and said he also had extremely poor silk drop rates, was mainly legs and venom sacs.

So I believe a bump in drop rate would be warranted!

Quote:
Apr 02 2001
Carrion spiders, on the other hand, have had up to 5 silks at a time, with the average being 2 to 3 silks.
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=365
Quote:
Feb 27 2000
If you're looking for decent silk supplies, look no further. These spiders drop silk a lot of the time, and frequently in multiples.
Quote:
Jul 10 2000
Loot consists strictly of dropped items, with the items being spider legs, giant spider venom sacs, spider silk (up to four at a time, good for you practising tailors), and....halfing parts. I suppose they like to eat halflings.
Quote:
Apr 27 2001
Personally, I kill all the Carrion Spiders in the zone before starting in on the Crags. I average about the same number of silks, a kill takes about 10 seconds (level 29 Monk), and I also get Halfling Parts to use in Baking. Typical Verant to ***** the zone drop up so that it's better for a level 29 to hunt a low-level MOB than a higher one.

Carrion Spider Halfling Parts:

In addition to the above 2 quotes, here is some more evidence. Perhaps you have these on the drop table but they are far too rare, that shaman I ran across that was killing did say he 'thought he saw' meat on 1 of them but had killed tons and he didn't loot it, maybe was your average 'Chunk of Meat'.

In any case, I think they should be more frequent and definitely added to the loot table if they are missing:
7/24/01:
Quote:
Do you want Halfling meat or will Halfling parts do? The Halfling parts icon
is the same as a chunk of meat of drops off of carrion spiders in EK at
least 50% of the time.
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=15224
Quote:
May 13 2003
well these are one of the most common loots off the carrion spiders in the karanas - i mean they almost seem to drop as much or almost more often than the silks everyone is after either that or i get to be the lucky one who gets these stacking up in my bags hehe.
Quote:
Apr 19 2003
This is occasionally looted off the carrion spiders in Eastern Karana.
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=365
Quote:
Nov 18 2000
Carrion means dead flesh, therefore the 'carrion' they are feeding on is dead halflings. Makes the halfling parts actually kind of cute [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
Mar 07 2000
They like to eat halflings, i've found 3 times halfling parts on them.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:26 AM
Developer

1 and 2 have been pending patch for a while now. I’ll look into others
Old 08-09-2018, 06:17 AM
Planar Protector

Interesting, i did a search but didn't see anything, only the update to the crags conning scowling but non aggro. Did i search fail or was that not reported?
Old 08-09-2018, 10:12 AM
Developer

Ah no it wasn’t reported, but something I noticed internally and fixed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-14-2018, 10:21 PM
Developer

Fixed 3 and 4 pending updated. Halfling parts were dropping but at a 2.9% drop rate. That's been increased to 15%.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:29 PM
Planar Protector

Thank you sir! This is going to be one HUGE patch when things go down [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread