Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 02:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not sure on the answer to that question; there is a wide spread of levels on guards. I never bothered with them.

Incidentally, what are your earrings like?

The mid/late 20s are a great time to do some fear kiting in Iceclad Ocean and pick up a pair of Cougar Claw Earrings.
Good suggestion, if your eyes can stand the backdrop good xp and nice earrings to boot. Only thing is they are a bit higher. 27+ per the wiki; I recall most are close to 30. Pretty painful since they run about sow speed and a zone flee is a painful one even to ToFS.

I recall doing those to mid 30's and then drakkel wolves after that.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:57 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Orc Fang Earrings x2
Lamentation x2
Chipped Velium Amulet
Dwarven Work Boots
Clawed Knuckle-Rings x2
Crested Helmet

Everything else is Banded.

Saving up now for a pair of 65HP rings, then SCHW. After that I shouldn't need to buy any gear until it's time to start doing Thurg armor.
Early/mid 30's is a good place for decent 2handers to cause some hurt..

See if you can find yourself a woodman's staff to switch off with. I think itll perform mch better than lammys at ur level. Youll see some nice big numbers too... After a while though most DW combos tend to out perform the 2handers
Old 06-12-2019, 09:41 PM
Planar Protector

What spells are worth keeping memorized and using all throughout the Rangers life? I have to reserve three slots for Flamelick, Root, and Heal, so that leaves 5 spots to dedicate buffs to for frequent reapplication. The only one I'm okay memming and then dropping is Barbcoat because of it's long duration, but what buffs aren't worth using after a certain point?

Right now I'm using Firefist, Skin like Rock, Strength of Earth, SoW, and Shield of Thistles. I don't have Feet Like Cat memorized, and I'm skeptical of Firefist as well.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:26 PM
Fire Giant

Root and snare saves lives..
Old 06-12-2019, 11:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What spells are worth keeping memorized and using all throughout the Rangers life? I have to reserve three slots for Flamelick, Root, and Heal, so that leaves 5 spots to dedicate buffs to for frequent reapplication. The only one I'm okay memming and then dropping is Barbcoat because of it's long duration, but what buffs aren't worth using after a certain point?

Right now I'm using Firefist, Skin like Rock, Strength of Earth, SoW, and Shield of Thistles. I don't have Feet Like Cat memorized, and I'm skeptical of Firefist as well.
I haven’t Ranger’d in 15-16 years but for p99 I’d:

Always:

Snare
Root
Heal

Most of the time:

Jolt once you have it
Flame lick for when you want aggro (could argue this is in the always category)

With those 5 you have your bases covered and it leaves you 3 slots for situational spells and buffs. I’d personally keep one slot as my default for swapping in buffs needed less frequently. If outside harmony would stay up.

The beauty of the ranger spell book is in the simplicity. There aren’t a lot of hard decisions to make most of the time and you can get away with having all of your critically important tools mem’d near permanently. This isn’t the case when I play my shaman/necro/Druid or even paladin. Mage is a focused enough class that I can generally get away with only having 1-2 spots for spell swaps. Each has their own “always loaded” list but a lot more spell swapping takes place depending on then situation.

A more seasoned ranger for p99 may have some extra insight to proffer, but the tool kit is pretty straightforward.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 06-13-2019, 12:35 AM
Planar Protector

My bar was:

1 snare
2 root
3 flame lick (absolutely need this)
8 heal

Keep sow loaded if you’re outdoors
Old 06-13-2019, 12:40 AM
Planar Protector

Why both Snare and Root? I'm only using Root right now, I feel like I only need one or the other since Flamelick covers the snap aggro.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:11 AM
Planar Protector

Cool

Snare slows lowlife runners to a halt, but unlike root they won't be hitting you for their last few hp.

Heal (or a skin spell; some of these make a better heal than heals).
Snare
Flame lick
Root
Swappy
Swappy
Short term damage shield
Usually harmony or fast cast nuke

The swappiee tend to be short duration buffs (call of sky, chloroplast, fire fist etc),second root or cancel magic.

I personally find it worth keeping most of the longer duration buffs cast. Certainly sow, skin, strength and the longterm AC/ds buff.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:46 AM
Planar Protector

Root is easily broken on melee. Snare is not.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:04 AM
Planar Protector

Assuming I've already buffed with SoN, CoP, CoE, Thorncoat, and Storm Strength, my spell bar is:

Heal
SoW
Chloro
Harmony/Jolt/Shield of Spikes
Sup Camo
Root
Snare
Flame Lick

Swap out Harmony for Jolt if indoors or not pulling, if I am not tanking but need to slow with Earthcaller. Or I will just tank and load Shield of Spikes instead.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Closed Thread