Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 03:24 PM
Aviak

Default Windows Phone 8

What is everyone's opinion on the most recent iteration of WP8? I'm thinking about getting the Nokia Lumia Icon (929) when it comes out next week (hopefully). I hate ios and I'm sick of the instability of Android. I don't especially care about the lack of apps on WP8. I don't use many apps now and I've already made sure the ones I care about are available on WP8. I value stability, camera, and some customization.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Sarnak

I work in ITS. I know a lot of people who have gone from android, to IOS, and ended up with windows phones. They all love them.

That being said, the only complaint I've ever heard is that the app store sucks compared to apple and google.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:36 PM
Sarnak

you will most assuredly be dissapointed if you transition from linux (android) to windows because of "instability"

edit: as well as customization
Last edited by r00t; 02-11-2014 at 03:39 PM..
Old 02-11-2014, 04:50 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemonikos82 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What is everyone's opinion on the most recent iteration of WP8? I'm thinking about getting the Nokia Lumia Icon (929) when it comes out next week (hopefully). I hate ios and I'm sick of the instability of Android. I don't especially care about the lack of apps on WP8. I don't use many apps now and I've already made sure the ones I care about are available on WP8. I value stability, camera, and some customization.
'Instability of android' as in you've only owned the shit android phones not the Samsung Galaxy S4, Note 3, HTC One, or Moto X. Or, you haven't owned one in over 2 years and your information is dated.

'Hate ios' So you don't care about apps but want stability, camera quality, and customization. Enjoy your Windows Phone experience.

In addition to their shit app store you can contend with:

overhyped shit camera.

Absolute garbage for transferring data. Microsoft Zune for music, no plug and copy/paste. And have fun with photos too.

Bugs out the ass, they try to get you excited about new 'windows 8.1' and windows 8, and windows 7 phone. Each one claiming to fix the glaring problems that made it a niche phone the generation before.

As someone who has been in the cellular business since the iPhone 3GS launched, I would recommend a high end android phone for the best overall user experience while still getting a decent screen size. That being said I don't particularly like apple, most of their stuff is overpriced, but the iPhone 5S is a solid phone and the only reason I don't use the iPhone now is I like a larger screen. The new software did shit up older hardware iphones(most notably the iPhone 4 with its single core processor) that downloaded the update, but that's an optional update and I make it a point to avoid any major iphone software update on an older model.

Yeah enjoy your windows phone, and when something fucks up on it or your trying to do something, and you go to the store and everyone looks at you like your insane when you ask for help with it, have fun. Windows Phones are right there with blackberry.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Sarnak

I almost stopped reading when you said "overhyped shit camera"

All your data transfer info is wrong/old. Phone plugs in with USB cable, drag and drop photos, music, files, etc.

You are obviously slanted anti MS. I won't bother posting any links, since everyone has their own shills, but reviews of the latest windows phone OS are overwhelmingly positive. The biggest complaint anyone has is the weak app store.

p.s. I've got a moto x, so I'm not in the MS camp. But I hate it when they get unfairly bashed.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:01 PM
Fire Giant

I use a lumia 822 on tmobile. I've also used the 521. I like wp8 and don't mind the shitty app store. Far as music I load it on the SD card and play it......

WP8 has been very stable for me, almost never has glitches, never crashes on me......Battery life is sweet.

Sounds like Knuckle has never used one....
Last edited by JackFlash; 02-11-2014 at 06:03 PM..
Old 02-11-2014, 06:22 PM
Aviak

Who pissed in your Cheerios Knuckle? I stopped reading when I realized your response held nothing of value (sometime around word three). I'll listen to anyone that has something constructive to say, but I don't have time for people like you.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:23 PM
Aviak

Thank you for all the other responses.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:27 PM
Kobold

Windows phone is awesome on my Nokia 920. The camera is better than the Iphone 5s and it especially blows the Iphone camera out of the water in low light situations. you CAN copy and paste, very easily too. I rarely ever have apps freeze up and not once has my device ever froze up causing me to restart my phone. I have pretty much all the apps I really need on my windows phone. Bank app, Mint, Facebook, Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, instagram, Baconit (reddit reader, way better than ones I've tried on andriod, no adds, and free).

Also, Much to my surprise, the mobile version of Internet explorer is actually an extremely responsive and an amazing browser (never thought I would admit that). The mobile IE allows me to basically do anything I would want to do that isn't available in the app market.

The home screen is very customizable. App tiles are not only a link to a program but they also tell you information about the app.. the tiles are constantly updated and you can adjust the size of the app to your preference, the bigger the tile, the more information is displayed. You can also add contacts as tiles and it will display their recent facebook status if you want.

I can't go over every reason why I love windows phone over iOS or andriod, but try it out. you won't be disappointed.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:32 PM
Kobold

The OS is amazingly fast. I hate how clunky and unstable iOS is and would switch in a heartbeat. Who needs a million apps, really? Most of them suck and the windows store is growing rapidly.
Closed Thread