Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 03:29 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man0warr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Loam gloves are really expensive, not a lot of good options out there though. Think I still use Dusty Bloodstained.
Whoops, totally forgot. Incandescent Gloves and Mask are both cheap and great stats, if you can find someone selling them.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:05 PM
Planar Protector

Elliptical Veil is a great ENC mask too (maybe best droppable ENC mask), and really cheap if you can find one for sale. Pretty rare to see though because it comes from Dalnir but I camped it myself with a higher character.

Blue
Tofusin - 60 Monk <BDA>
Shiroe - 60 Enchanter
Manowarr - 60 Druid
Old 02-18-2014, 02:58 PM
Sarnak

JBoots >> Gobbie Ring, IMO (and both about same price)

+55hp rings are invaluable for any character.

JBoots + 55hp rings saves lives.

Gobbie ring is a "nice to have", but most groups/duos you don't need
to break charm.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:15 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone88 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
JBoots >> Gobbie Ring, IMO (and both about same price)

+55hp rings are invaluable for any character.

JBoots + 55hp rings saves lives.

Gobbie ring is a "nice to have", but most groups/duos you don't need
to break charm.
Depends on grouping versus solo. Grouping, Gobo ring is basically worthless.

Soloing, however, Gobo ring basically gives you a much needed 9th spell gem, which is crazy when you think about it.

Edit to Add:

The time Gobo Ring saves you can't be understated. Timing charm breaks with Gobo ring allows you to break charm at <=10% Very consistently, allowing you to kill off mobs with 1 Choke versus 2 or 3. Using Taper enchantment/casting Invis makes timing much more sensitive; I know I've lost plenty of pets trying to get mobs as low as possible.

JBoots are nice, but not nearly as nice as Gobo ring for soloing, which is really the question.
If you're grouping you're probably 1) In a dungeon so no SoW/jboots anyways, or 2) Someone in your group can cast SoW. The only time jboots really matter while leveling is while Soloing, where I'd say Gobo Ring will make a bigger bang for your buck. You can get by with strafing or trading a Breeze/Clarity for a SoW, or, If you're a cheapskate, just buy SoW potions.

About SoW potions vs jboots...jboots are (conservatively) 7k, which could buy 70 10 Doze SoW potions. That's 700 SoWs at 35mins each-- that's 24500 minutes or 408 Hours (17 Days!) worth of SoW, that you can cut up into 100pp incriminates. My advice is to make sure you're going to stick with your twink before you buy jboots; If you don't plan on getting over 17 days /play'd, just buy SoW potions IMO.

If you don't plan on soloing at All, just skip gobo ring and jboots altogether.
Last edited by Crawdad; 02-18-2014 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: Had to add wall of text.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:44 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
About SoW potions vs jboots...jboots are (conservatively) 7k, which could buy 70 10 Doze SoW potions. That's 700 SoWs at 35mins each-- that's 24500 minutes or 408 Hours (17 Days!) worth of SoW, that you can cut up into 100pp incriminates. My advice is to make sure you're going to stick with your twink before you buy jboots; If you don't plan on getting over 17 days /play'd, just buy SoW potions IMO..
Thanks for the calculation, intuitively that's what I thought. Plus sow potions are faster.

It's not only 17 days of played, but 17 days outdoor while needing the faster speed.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:56 PM
Orc

10k spending (assuming max prices on everything):
8k: Goblin ring
60p: Cats eye golden braceletx2
200p: Gypsy Medallion
500p: Platinum Fire Wedding Ringx2
500p: Siren Hair Hood
50p: Crude Stein
1k: Rod of Insidious Glamour

All of these items will last you 'til 60. Goblin ring is essential for charm soloing/duoing. Life-changer.

-Cal
Old 02-18-2014, 05:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Depends on grouping versus solo. Grouping, Gobo ring is basically worthless.

Soloing, however, Gobo ring basically gives you a much needed 9th spell gem, which is crazy when you think about it.

Edit to Add:

The time Gobo Ring saves you can't be understated. Timing charm breaks with Gobo ring allows you to break charm at <=10% Very consistently, allowing you to kill off mobs with 1 Choke versus 2 or 3. Using Taper enchantment/casting Invis makes timing much more sensitive; I know I've lost plenty of pets trying to get mobs as low as possible.

JBoots are nice, but not nearly as nice as Gobo ring for soloing, which is really the question.
If you're grouping you're probably 1) In a dungeon so no SoW/jboots anyways, or 2) Someone in your group can cast SoW. The only time jboots really matter while leveling is while Soloing, where I'd say Gobo Ring will make a bigger bang for your buck. You can get by with strafing or trading a Breeze/Clarity for a SoW, or, If you're a cheapskate, just buy SoW potions.

About SoW potions vs jboots...jboots are (conservatively) 7k, which could buy 70 10 Doze SoW potions. That's 700 SoWs at 35mins each-- that's 24500 minutes or 408 Hours (17 Days!) worth of SoW, that you can cut up into 100pp incriminates. My advice is to make sure you're going to stick with your twink before you buy jboots; If you don't plan on getting over 17 days /play'd, just buy SoW potions IMO.

Can instant cast after popping the gob ring. 0 refresh timer means the total space required to charm goes down considerably as you require less space between you and your now uncharmed pet.

Although not complete necessary it is a huge bonus to have. Definitely one of the top 5 items an enchanter should have.

As far as jboots vs. sow - yeah 17 days is huge and that is at 100p per 10 dose. It costs about 60p per 10 dose of you have a shaman who will make them for you at cost. Now at around 25 days played not counting times when someone else is going to sow you. Jboots not worth it unless it's coming out your ears (pp).

Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 59 Shaman
Lemonspoon Icebeaner - 52 Enchanter
Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 60 Enchanter
Last edited by Yumyums Inmahtumtums; 02-18-2014 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: Missing stuff
Old 02-18-2014, 05:18 PM
Sarnak

Quote:

To be fair, you need to also factor in the time spent BUYING those SoW potions..ie porting back to EC, finding a seller, etc.

I essentially did 60 levels without JBoots or Gobbie ring. Used Taper Enchantment as the charm breaker for most of it (until higher levels). Saving a spell slot is "nice" but not THAT big of a deal breaker, IMO. Have one spell slot for Clarity/Enlighten/Cancel Magic spell is really not that inconvenient. Having to equip the Gobbie ring means I'm also short 55hp and 5 AC [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

To each his own I guess...
Old 02-18-2014, 05:59 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone88 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To be fair, you need to also factor in the time spent BUYING those SoW potions..ie porting back to EC, finding a seller, etc.

I essentially did 60 levels without JBoots or Gobbie ring. Used Taper Enchantment as the charm breaker for most of it (until higher levels). Saving a spell slot is "nice" but not THAT big of a deal breaker, IMO. Have one spell slot for Clarity/Enlighten/Cancel Magic spell is really not that inconvenient. Having to equip the Gobbie ring means I'm also short 55hp and 5 AC [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

To each his own I guess...
You can recharge SoW potions for ~100pp apiece, just always drink from the same one and keep the other at 10 charge.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Guide_To_Recharging_Items

Neither are necessary, but If I had to regear my Ench, Gobo Ring is the first thing I'm buying :P But I solo 90% of the time.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:07 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
You can recharge SoW potions for ~100pp apiece, just always drink from the same one and keep the other at 10 charge.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Guide_To_Recharging_Items

Neither are necessary, but If I had to regear my Ench, Gobo Ring is the first thing I'm buying :P But I solo 90% of the time.
You are correct. There is considerable time saved recharging your own potions,
though you still gotta be close to a merchant (or spend even more money getting
a port).

You are also correct that the soloing Ench will greatly benefit from Gobbie Ring,
but if this is your first toon and don't have the money, you probably won't be able to
afford one until you can camp the courier yourself, which personally I found incredibly
frustrating because I killed over 70 of those suckers without a single ring drop.
Given that I'm more of a grouping chanter, I said F-it at this point and went back to using
Pillage Enchantment because I didn't have 7 or 8k to burn to buy one...
Closed Thread