Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 09:45 AM
Sarnak

I've been on and off this server for 7-8 years now and even being banned a couple of times along the way. It's hard to replicate the social dynamic this game creates and some of these classes haven't been made in any other MMO, which makes them quite unique.

My favorite class used to be the rogue. I've only had 2 60's on this server and both were/are rogues. As Evia stated, extremely low responsibility in groups or raids and I personally think it's a great introduction class into EQ to get to understand zones better and get a feel for everything before you do any deep diving on a different class that plays a bigger role.

After getting a Bard, Cleric, Druid, Enchanter, Monk, Shaman and Warrior 50+, I've added Enchanter and Monk to my favorites.

The Enchanter has so much control in groups that it's hard to play anything else after. Not only can you mez / stun / root mobs, you provide some of the best buffs in the game with crack and haste, and can outdps your entire group with a charmed mob hitting the 200-250 dps range. Since healing can be a bit boring in this game, I find Enchanter scratches that itch for me of perfecting an art in every group I join. I personally don't like soloing much, but they make fantastic soloers and even better duo/trio partners. You also won't find this skill set in any other game.

Monks are the only class where I feel 100% safe running around freely in any zone (except DN because those traps can suck). Instantly FDing whenever and being able to tank and dps is huge. By far the best melee class in my opinion. Though, I do have to be in the mood to pull for groups. Endlessly pulling can get tiring for me, especially being a rogue in my past lives.

TL;DR - I love my characters and I can't find their play styles in other MMOs which keeps me coming back again and again.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:47 AM
Planar Protector

I like them all for very different reasons.

What I didn’t like about my bard was hitting that wall where my epic was unobtainable. By the time I found myself inmates guild where it was possible, I had already reverted back to my original eq career of warrioring.

Warrior: I enjoy being the point man. As a gear dependent class each upgrade has a very meaningful impact unlike anything else other classes feel. For most melee it’s about having 41% haste and rocking weapons. Other gear slots help, but not to the same degree. Casters? Meaningful clicks. But for the warrior class, each slot is important. Weapons to hold threat. Other weapons to dish out damage and not draw threat. We get beat on incessantly by the nastiest monsters in the game so every pinch of ac, hp, and resists is important. Beyond that, 60 warriors are borderline Demi-gods in eq. Solid dps at baseline. Insane dps if we are free to unleash precision disc (more so if berserk). Tough as nails and hard to kill. All of this while still being a highly social class in that we are simultaneously completely dependent on those around us.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 09-19-2019, 10:56 AM
Planar Protector

In ten years on P99 my Shadow Knight is the only character I've reached level 60 with, or even 55+. I remain fully satisfied with it, so much so that I've never felt the drive to level something else. Within the realm of what melee classes are expected to do in this game, it has done everything I've reasonably asked of it, and more besides.

I have access, of course, to the wife's Shaman. Being a Shaman means it clearly has more raw power than any melee, but I've no love for the mechanics of the Shaman class and don't particularly enjoy playing the thing. The wife likes it very much though.

Danth
Old 09-19-2019, 11:15 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderfury [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People 'love' their melee because of easy to obtain epics (monk / rogue at least), cheap good ratio weapons, haste items, and fungi's galore. Gonna love seeing 8/35 weapons taking out mobs with no worn haste / regen.
This!!!

I’m spoiled rotten with my warriors free haste gloves and armor and super cheap awesome weapons. Killing shit with rusty weapons and leather/cloth (or if I’m lucky bronze armor) is gonna be a bitch lmao.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:20 AM
Kobold

My 60 Shaman is the reason I keep coming back to P99. I started him almost 5 years ago and ground hard, starting with nothing, all the way to 60, epic, Torp, the whole mess. Then I quit. I went and did some RL stuff, got addicted to Destiny for a while, but at a certain point, the pull of the P99 Torp Shammy always brings me back.

I quit again about not long into Velious to go play on Agnarr on live, and I leveled a chanter to 65, full AA's, Vex Thal, PoTime.... but I missed my shaman, so yet again I came back.

Every other truly powerful class is frantic. The Chanter is amazing, but lives on the knife's edge 24/7. The Bard is incredible, but constantly swapping and twisting and kiting all gets exhausting. Necro's are incredible as well, but they are still always a charm break, and FD fail, or a fear resist away from being a pile of bones.

But not the shaman, especially not the Torp shaman. The shaman is zen, the shaman is calm. His entire being exists to outlast you, to deplete your ability to continue to put up a meaningful fight. I cant even count the number of times I have been in a group and watched them pull 5 or 6 things by accident and start freaking out.

The shaman stays calm, roots one, then another, then another. Eventually the tank notices and moves so he stops getting hit by everything. 1 mob slowed, 2 mobs slowed, 3 mobs slowed, and now, methodically, baddy by baddy the tables are turned. The mobs can attack the shaman, he doesn't care, he ignores them, or poisons them if they annoy him enough. He never sits, he never stops, he never rests, and he never panics.

Nothing will ever compare to my shaman.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like them all for very different reasons.

What I didn’t like about my bard was hitting that wall where my epic was unobtainable. By the time I found myself inmates guild where it was possible, I had already reverted back to my original eq career of warrioring.

Warrior: I enjoy being the point man. As a gear dependent class each upgrade has a very meaningful impact unlike anything else other classes feel. For most melee it’s about having 41% haste and rocking weapons. Other gear slots help, but not to the same degree. Casters? Meaningful clicks. But for the warrior class, each slot is important. Weapons to hold threat. Other weapons to dish out damage and not draw threat. We get beat on incessantly by the nastiest monsters in the game so every pinch of ac, hp, and resists is important. Beyond that, 60 warriors are borderline Demi-gods in eq. Solid dps at baseline. Insane dps if we are free to unleash precision disc (more so if berserk). Tough as nails and hard to kill. All of this while still being a highly social class in that we are simultaneously completely dependent on those around us.
This is probably the most convincing arguement I've ever heard for enjoying the warrior class. Even with a geared epic warrior of my own I was never able to really find the joy in playing one fulltime. Just ask anyone in riot how I feel about poor yxarus lol.

Enchanter is my number 1 and it's not even close. Eberron was ironically born simply to be a chardok enchanter bot back in the aoe days and over the course of leveling him I fell in love with the class. Realized how high the skill cap was on it and just went full steam ahead and became my 2nd 60 despite being my 4th alt.

I do not like relying on other people and I dont like idling in game and i like a challenge. Enchanter solved alot of those things for me. I need help with next to nothing and can camp anything anytime. I never have to split loot or sit LFG because I am my own group. EQ is a social game sure but nothing is more fun to me than soloing hard camps. I can adventure as I please because an enchanter is the master of his environment. No other class feels as powerful or affords me the freedoms I have on my enchanter or even has the same "feel" when playing it. If I'm not playing eberron, I always wish I was instead.

Also, I have an odd fascination with the idea of charming monsters and locking down adds. Just feels really cool to mind control a bunch of baddies and win a fight using the fight itself as my tools.

For eberron's gear, I'm happy with what I've achieved for him. I just wish so badly I could get him out of the terrible looking skyshrine robe and into a vulak robe but it has become apparent that this wasnt meant to be. But eberron has achieved 4100 mana , 2450ish hp, 225MR and FT8 self buffed so hes come a long way since his loan bracelets and crimson robe.

I'll roll another enchanter on green for sure.
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 09-19-2019, 12:42 PM
Planar Protector

Is the question how happy are you with the classes you played in general? Or how happy you are with your characters progression? Got monk/shm/wiz all to 60 w/ epic, enjoyed all three TBH. I feel like I enjoyed the wizard way more than the average person would.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:36 PM
Planar Protector

My druid. Progression wise everything was an adventure of my own design. The only thing I would ever consider needing on him would be a guise.

My ehcnater was by far the most fun I had in a short amount of time, but after a while farming things and items became less fun and learning how to solve all the quests and find items in outdoor zones became my final destination in norrath.

One day I will finally be at rest, somewhere in a hut in a zone with level 12 mobs pathing around it, not on some alter plane at the foot of an immortal dragon. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Jibartik; 09-19-2019 at 01:39 PM..
Old 09-19-2019, 01:58 PM
Aviak

I enjoyed my two mains for the most part. The paladin was great for group stuff and for very slow casual leveling (took 7 years to hit 60). The wizard was great for a super easy class that could contribute to raids without being so critical as to be stressful. Definitely had fun with both, but will be doing something new for Green. Probably not a tank and definitely not a wizard, but pretty much anything else could work.

Blue Server
Aegnor Eldruin - 60 High Elf Wizard <Dial a Port>
Vizeryn_D'Raethe - 60 Erudite Paladin
Formerly of <Azure Guard>
Old 09-19-2019, 02:10 PM
Planar Protector

I’ve played every class, and they’re all badass in their own way. I think that’s what makes this game so great is all of the different choices you have based on what you like to do.

What I’ve found more enjoyable is finding that perfect race and class combination that caters to you specifically instead of just the class alone. My two favorite combinations would have to be Troll SK and Dark elf wizard. Trolls in plate, regen, 2h bash, big starting stats, etc. it just feels right. And as a dark elf wizard with their fashion and having hide for all those med breaks and quadding afks I’ve never felt a racial ability more useful throughout the leveling process.
Closed Thread