Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 01-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default issues

Hello, I'm attempting to get this working on my macbook, but i am having no luck, i do everything that is stated, and change the resolution and everything. The program opens to a black screen and just sits there. Any help would be appriciated. I can't even log in, its just a black screen.

My specs are
Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Old 01-30-2012, 05:26 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Having trouble getting eq started on my mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
First of all, to the OP, thanks for the great post. It's really hard to find any current resources regarding EQ and OSX.

Now, I'm sorry this doesn't exactly pertain to P99, but does anyone have current-day EQ running in OSX?

I'm using an early 2010 MBP, Radeon HD 6750m, 8GB ram, i7 2.2Ghz running OSX Lion 10.7.2

I've followed the tutorial completely, but every time I try to run it with my setup, I get a crash with eqgame.exe. If I set the target to EverQuest.exe instead, the patcher will launch and update files okay, but then after clicking login I get the same error. I assume it has something to do with the different client files, but I haven't yet been able to find a fix. Works 100% fine in Boot Camp, I'm just a lazy bastard and don't wanna reboot to play!

This is all I get:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Hoping this is a solvable issue. Thank you very much to anyone ahead of time!
Well you've gotten further than i have. I cant get anything to launch. I'm getting the same error as you. If you or anyone has figured this out that would be great, or if anyone would be willing to take the time and maybe walk me through the install via skype that would be amazing!! thank you. would love to play some everquest on my mac and dont want to do the botcamp route.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:03 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagmarr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well you've gotten further than i have. I cant get anything to launch. I'm getting the same error as you. If you or anyone has figured this out that would be great, or if anyone would be willing to take the time and maybe walk me through the install via skype that would be amazing!! thank you. would love to play some everquest on my mac and dont want to do the botcamp route.
Are you running through WINE? I had to run Wineskin and kill tasks then ran Project 1999 then it generated an eqclient.ini file which I then set the WindowedMode to TRUE.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:39 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

yeah running wineskin followed the instructions to a ti did what you said still not working. i'm on a macbook pro2009 it's an intel
Old 01-31-2012, 12:15 PM
Fire Giant

I'd love to try and help you guys, but the power suppply in my Mac blew up a couple days ago and I'm waiting on a replacement.

In the meantime, though, I can tell you that most of the issues I've run into with the game not starting properly stemmed from windowed mode not being set correctly in eqclient.ini. For starters, open that file in a text editor and see that you have lines that look like this:

Code:
WindowedMode=TRUE

WidthWindowed=1024
HeightWindowed=768
WindowedWidth=1024
WindowedHeight=768
If the height/width numbers are different, that's probably fine. Any resolution you want should work. I think all that matters is that both resolutions match, and that WindowedMode is set to true.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Large Rat

Hi everyone. Sorry I've not been around to help field questions. I had some RL issues come up that have kept me fairly restricted. I'll update the thread soon with a new version to download (with core fonts installed) and I will also update the compatibility list.

Special thanks to Phobus for being so helpful here! He seems to be much more knowledgeable on troubleshooting this stuff than I am anyway. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Fire Giant

Okay, so I did some troubleshooting today to see if I could figure out why people were having problems on new installs. For some reason, when you run EQ for the first time under WINE, it doesn't create an eqclient.ini. Those of us who copied an existing install were unaffected, but anyone trying to do a fresh install crashed. It seems you can get started by creating a barebones eqclient.ini with only the following:

Code:
[Defaults]
WindowedModeXOffset=1
WindowedModeYOffset=1
WindowedMode=TRUE
[VideoMode]
Width=1024
Height=768
WidthWindowed=1024
HeightWindowed=768
WindowedWidth=1024
WindowedHeight=768
FullscreenBitsPerPixel=32
FullscreenRefreshRate=0
While I was at it, I documented the steps to do a new install from the discs under WINE. Here's the minimum of what you need to do to run EQ under Mac OS X using Avatar's WINE wrapper:
  1. If this is your first time setting up Project 1999, complete steps 2 and 3 (only!) on http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka...akka=PlayGuide to setup your accounts.
  2. Download the Project 1999 Wine Wrapper from here: http://www.mediafire.com/?ltz58wddkaf30eh
  3. Extract the app into your Applications folder
  4. Right click on the Project 1999 app and choose "Show Package Contents." Inside the Package, you should see three things. A folder name "Contents", a shortcut named "drive_c", and a program named "Wineskin".
  5. Open Wineskin.
  6. Click the button that says “Install Windows Software”
  7. Insert disc 1 of Everquest Titanium, or if you backed up your discs to ISO files, double-click the first one and it’ll mount on your desktop.
  8. Navigate to disc 1 and choose setup.exe.
  9. Follow the installation instructions. When prompted for a destination to install to, change it from the default to C:\P99.
  10. Continue following the installation instructions, inserting/mounting the next disc when prompted.
  11. Once the install is complete, Wineskin will ask you for the main executable. Make sure eqgame.exe is selected and click OK.
  12. Choose “Advanced”
  13. The Windows EXE path should say "/P99/eqgame.exe". Verify that this path is valid. If you named your EQ folder something else, then replace the "P99" with that name. If you installed inside of Program Files, then be sure to add that to the path.
  14. EXE Flags should say "patchme", otherwise EQEmu will not launch.
  15. Click the Tools tab.
  16. Click the Winetricks button.
  17. Under fonts, click the checkbox next to corefonts.
  18. Click the Run button. When prompted if you wish to run Winetricks, click Run.
  19. When it’s done, click Close.
  20. Click "Done" and then "Quit". That should be all the configuration you need to verify for the Wineskin application.
  21. Go back to the Finder window where you were looking inside the Project 1999 package. Open the the drive_c shortcut, and then navigate to your P99 folder. Remove (drag to the trash) the following files:
    Code:
    arena.eqg
    arena_EnvironmentEmitters.txt
    lavastorm.eqg
    nektulos.eqg
    Nektulos_EnvironmentEmitters.txt
  22. Download and extract http://www.project1999.org/files/P99Files30.zip (if this link does not work, go to http://www.project1999.org, download the latest patch, and continue with these instructions. Also, PM me a reminder to update this post[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]). Copy the following files into your P99 folder. You will be asked if you wish to replace the existing files; say yes.
    Code:
    dbstr_us.txt
    dsetup.dll
    eqhost.txt
    spells_us.txt
    spellsnew.eff
  23. Copy Resources/GlobalLoad.txt and Resources/loadscreen.jpg from that zip file into your Resources folder, replacing the existing files. DO NOT just copy the Resources folder from the zip file. You will overwrite your existing Resources folder and lose a bunch of needed files, and you will have to start over from the beginning.
  24. Copy everything from within the uifiles/default folder of that zip file to the uifiles/default folder within your P99 folder, replacing any existing files.
  25. Open TextEdit and paste the following:
    Code:
    [Defaults]
    WindowedModeXOffset=1
    WindowedModeYOffset=1
    WindowedMode=TRUE
    [VideoMode]
    Width=1024
    Height=768
    WidthWindowed=1024
    HeightWindowed=768
    WindowedWidth=1024
    WindowedHeight=768
    FullscreenBitsPerPixel=32
    FullscreenRefreshRate=0
  26. Under the Format menu, choose “Make Plain Text.” Save it to your P99 folder (easy way to avoid having to rifle through your system: in Finder, drag one of the files in the P99 folder to TextEdit’s Save As window), and save it as eqclient.ini. Make sure “hide extension” is unchecked.

That should get you into the game. I also suggest installing the updated textures from here as well as replacing the loading and login server screens with Classic versions from here. Of course, you can also install any custom UI you want.

All you guys having issues with black screens, crashing on startup, etc. please try installing from scratch using these instructions and let us know the results. Good luck. =)
Last edited by phobus; 10-25-2013 at 10:22 AM..
Old 02-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Everything is running pretty good for me, except that the game (or Wine) will not trap my mouse cursor so when I mouse look, it only will work for so long until I it drags outside of the Wine window. I've tried sizing the window to the same size as my desktop resolution however it has no effect. I can't seem to find any Wineskin tweaks for this. Any suggestions?
Old 02-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Fire Giant

I have a similar problem; I never actually see the mouse cursor, but it does stop me from panning in one direction after a while, as if the mouse cursor had reached the edge of the screen. I still have enough room to spin around a few times, so it's never really bothered me.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:36 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taagamb [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I now have a sky, weather, and a brighter game. I increased the gamma through the wineskin options after correcting my resource folder.

Everything seems to be working great! Thanks again!
How did you manage to change the gamma through wineskin? The game is soo dark -_-

Works pretty well except for:
  1. Sound only turns on or off, slider does nothing.
  2. Using mouselook, the game stops at 180 degrees. This could potentially be fixed with MouseWarpOverride settings in Winetricks but I remember the outcome being that your mouse cursor cannot be released after pressing right click so I wouldn't do it unless you'd like to prove me wrong.
  3. Game is incredibly dark, gamma setting in-game does nothing.
  4. f keys will only activate the shortcut they're assigned to (volume up/down etc) and using the function key does not work.

Mid-2010 17" MBP (330m, 2.53 GHz i5)
Last edited by Connador; 02-06-2012 at 04:48 AM..